Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_botte

wow, wine really is a required element of any kitchen remodel!

Lisa B.
14 years ago

You guys weren't kidding around, were you?

Today I waited around all afternoon, missing DD's swimming lesson, for my kitchen cabinet delivery. Truck comes, guys a nice as can be, and they brought me all of the trim/beadboard/baseboard/valance, etc. NO CABINETS. (Mind you, this order was supposed to be in on Monday 3/15.)

Turns out the cabinets were invoiced separately and will be here, oh, sometime the week of the 29TH. Kitchen guy didn't have too much to say for himself. Needless to say, I am NOT happy about having no action around here for the next 2 weeks, and having paid in full for all of my materials in anticipation of today's delivery. I have been assured that I will be getting a call as SOON as my cabinets are in. (Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath). >:(

I will enjoy the view of my new stove in the middle of my living room for at least the next 2 weeks. At least the washer and dryer are out of there now. Did I mention we are also remodeling a bath/laundry room, which is now functional but nowhere near done... and I imagine the contractor won't bother to come back to finish that small job until he can start on the bigger kitchen project?

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm off to consume copious amounts of chocolate with a Pinot Grigio chaser... :P

Comments (33)

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I'm going to go get some chocolate too, but only for your good. I'm sorry this is happening. I know with a family and kids it's hard to have the house disrupted. I planned the reno to be done prior to the s chool end, to avoid stress during final exams. Then we got the AP e xam schedule. Yup, exactly while the kitchen is being done.

Hope things work out, and keep us informed.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

You forgot Valium too. Oh dear. I'm sorry! It is a tough process.....we all feel your pain...and my renovation wasn't even half as painful as some around here.

The night I wanted to climb into a jug of wine and drown in it was the evening where I got a call (while at my daughter's never ending tennis match miles away) that one of the carpenters had accidently severed the gas line to the grill (but didn't realize it until hours later)....just before using spray laccquer paint on the cabinets just inside the open window (not flammable, at all!).....then I had to call the gas company and have them come out to get their clearance before I felt even remotely safe to enter the house with my three kids....DH was none too happy. I still feel like it's lucky that the whole neighborhood block didn't go up in a BOOM. That's when I almost threw in the towel....

So, I hear ya!!!

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

I don't think wine is sufficient. I'm stocking up on tequila.

• jmc2009
    14 years ago

LOL - I'm having my glass of red right now! Well, it's a plastic cup actually - because if I have to run up the stairs to wash one more thing in the tiny bathroom sink. . .argh ;-) I feel your pain, cupcake! Wine is good.

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

HAHA, jmc, I agree!! I am SOOOO SICK of washing dishes in our bathroom sink!!

And yes, I've probably gone through many a bottle since this whole thing started 5 weeks ago. Hopefully, we will be done next week! If not--Im going for the vodka!

• Lisa B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Geez, if your stories are any indication, I'll be hittin' the hard stuff by week's end! Better stock up...

At least I was smart enough to insist that they install my new bathroom sink (right off kitchen) before they removed my kitchen sink so I wouldn't be without both sinks @ the same time. Luckily, my kitchen sink is still in business. It's just frustrating to have done all of the necessary work on MY end (making sure appliances, sinks, lighting, tile, etc. are here when needed) only to have things fall apart on account of the actions of the "professionals". Maybe I should consider starting a new career in kitchen reno coordinating... hey, I *have* been told I'm pretty organized... !

Thanks for commiserating, the sympathy is greatly appreciated! You may now resume your previously-scheduled imbibing already in progress. ;)

• heart-of-dixie
    14 years ago

I am having wine and a huge mushroom swiss burger to wash the wine down with!!

• weedmeister
    14 years ago

If you're doing chocolate, I suggest a good port.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Wine glasses were the only "real" dishes we bothered to keep out. They were in the garage with the wine and then had to be washed in the bathroom sink. Worth it. :)

It will eventually be completed. Hang in there. And, Cheers!

• dawn_t
    14 years ago

The staff at the liquor store know me by name, merlot and ETA now.
    My stockpile of Lindt 90% cacao is dwindling fast out of the unfinished doorless pantry.
    I've been washing dishes in the mudroom sink for 11 months and 18 days.
    When I can't face that task anymore somedays, I hide'em in my nice new full extension, soft close drawers.
    My name is Dawn and I don't think I'm TKO anymore :(

Hugs to Cupcake and all - I hope your renovations all go better next week!

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

I will second weidmeister.... a glass of port, a nice champagne (only if you're celebrating the END of your remodel), or actually a strong cabernet to go with that chocolate.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

but i don't drink!!!!

I'll have to order a truck load of chocolate... guess I could dr*nk it too.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

cupcake - no, we weren't kidding. I hope you budgeted your wine into the reno cost. It has definitely helped with minimizing the melt downs.

No kitchen since November, one bathroom--only water source, full time work from home--temporary kitchen in the office (fridge, microwave, food, coffee pot), oldest daughter got engaged Christmas Eve--planned wedding for Mar 6 (yes, this year), lots of life going on with 5 in the household. I quit keeping track of wine consumption.

It will end. It will end. It will end.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Vodka tonics are really nice too. And easily adjustable depending on the day's disaster or setback. ;)

Hang in there!

• amberley
    14 years ago

I can't have wine, or anything else alcoholic for that matter (due to meds I am on), so I am sitting here drinking my pretend "adult drink" (as we call them in my house- so the little guys know they can't have a sip)- It looks like a brown beer bottle, but is actually Reed's Raspberry ginger brew. Ah, so have a nice glass of crisp Chardonnay on a beautiful day before spring evening.....that would be so nice.

I have been hitting the bakery down the street for fresh made daily cookies instead....my jeans don't like it too much.

I too was supposed to have a "functional" kitchen on Monday. That moved to the following Tuesday. For now. So in the meantime I will putty, sand, paint, and paint some more.

• pirula
    14 years ago

You may soon find, that martinis will be in order as well.

Wonderful that you're keeping your sense of humor. You'll do well! Good luck with the rest.

• countrygal_905
    14 years ago

Ok, the day is starting bad!!! How early is too early for that wine?

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Isn't the saying; "it's always 5:00 somewhere..." countrygal_905?

• morgne
    14 years ago

What about those who smoke instead of drink?!!? Lol. We can't leave them out!

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Although my remodel went smoothly, there were days while I was doing the research that I pondered a vodka float.....I haven't had a drink of alcohol for many, many years and I was afraid I'd get a HUGE headache if I tried it so I ate chocolate instead. Oh, and doughnuts. And cake. Almost forgot Mrs. Smith frozen pies are quick and easy if you have anything that bakes. I contemplated my countertop electric oven but it never came to that. Did you know they make cookie dough all measured into the proper size balls and frozen in a bag!! They do!! In 6 flavors! Good, too. I guess truth to tell, if it had sugar in it, I ate it. I have to stop now since I'm not working any of it off. As soon as the 6 new bags of cookie dough are gone, that's it.

• cooksnsews
    14 years ago

Maybe you guys will appreciate the 5 minute microwave chocolate cake. The Cooking Forum folks found it disgusting, but maybe none of them have ever lived through a remodel. It's big enough for two to share, unless you have had a really bad day, when you need it all for yourself.

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE

5 tablespoons flour
    3 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    2 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    small splash of vanilla extract

Add dry ingredients to mug (LARGE coffee mug or beer mug), and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (my MW is only 800WT so I cooked it for 3min 25 sec). The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

• Lisa B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the commiseration, everyone. Cooksnsews, I will be testing out that chocolate mug cake in the near future. Now THAT will help! (Along with cadbury mini-eggs. Never could resist the little suckers). ;)

• toolbabe
    14 years ago

Eeeek! I'm about to cross-over from a bathroom reno from hell, into the first stages of my kitchen reno. And your stories are freaking me out.

You mean to say that on top of sourcing all the stuff I need for that kitchen, I will also need to stock up on wine, chocolate, hootch, ciggies, more chocolate, more wine, aspirin, more wine, who said ice cream, more wine with a chocolate chaser, huge hambergher buns....AND find a coffee mug to make cake in?

Wow. Never thought of that! Maybe the kitchen reno can wait....

• Fori
    14 years ago

Gin is better.

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

lol toolbabe...no...

i think you could just "make do" with hootch, ciggies, and chocolate (sugar incorporated in all that).

• e4849
    14 years ago

I'm living on Advil, Band-aids, and wine. I've started addeing sweets. But not in that order.

• dlr98004
    14 years ago

Ha Ha! I can totally relate. Our "temporary" kitchen work triange is 100 feet - frig is in the foyer, microwave is in the laundry room, and kitchen table is the cedar chest at the foot of the master bed. (Only place without too much dust and where a TV actually works in our house right now). The food is lukewarm by the time we heat it up, walk through garage, outside, around to master bedroom through the sliding glass door. I actually enjoy washing the dishes by hand in our mini-bar sink! Oh the joys of renovation. Thank goodness for cheap red wine, patience and a good sense of humor. Cheers!

• Lisa B.
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dianelouise, LOVE your "work triangle"! :O I'm at the stage where I feel like I am camping out in my own house, sure feels like "roughing it!" We are now without a kitchen sink and have resorted to paper/plastic/doing dishes in my new pedestal bathroom sink. Cabinet install/trim/beadboard/painting is almost done. First floor ceilings have all been painted, what a difference! Cherry butcher block island top was installed yesterday; the granite perimeter was templated today (we are getting honed Absolute Black) and should be ready for install during school vacation week! (At least it will be cool for the kids to see!) Stove is in living room, dishwasher in garage, small kitchen appliances and other kitchen stuff is in boxes anywhere it will fit. Kitchen lighting (from Rejuvenation, yay!) due in next week, hope to get our electrician here next weekend, since we are still using a floor lamp in the newly-reno'd bathroom. Flooring for the entire main floor has been ordered and should be arriving @ the end of the month; we're putting in variable-width wide plank pine flooring. Shooting for this weekend to start painting walls, already started on the trim. Cararra marble subway tiles have been ordered for backsplash, due in 2 weeks or so.

WHEW! Now will SOMEBODY please pass the chardonnay (which I fully intend to drink straight from the bottle, since I can't find a wine glass...) !!!

• e4849
    14 years ago

The very first things I packed into my "survival supplies" plastic box were the plastic wine glasses. Second were the plastic Tervis coffee mugs. I am living with a three-story work triangle- Refrigerator in garage, sink on second floor, coffe maker and microwave in bedroom on third floor.

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's prepared meals. (and wine :) )

• doonie
    14 years ago

Spent the day listening to the jackhammer take up the remainder of the kitchen tile. Splurged and bought a rice cooker. Then I wokked in the basement garage as that is the only 3 prong plug I could find. I can't use more than one appliance at a time in the basement as it blows the circuit breaker. I am living throught this kitchen remodel and it sure is crazy right now! Wine is definitely on the list!

• beachpea3
    14 years ago

Dear Kitchen Friends... I have alway thought of Wine as "Juice"...Juice is good for you..Yes???????

• babushka_cat
    14 years ago

oh oh.. ramping up for a remodel myself, better be careful i do not end up in rehab after the remodel! :)

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Ok, I want a valium or librium tree, shady or sunny, any zone, and in trade, I will give you any seeds, from any zone, any color, just name it, to be delivered by any hunk, except for James Franco-he's mine, all mine=---and I will be reasonably happy during the next six miserable months. The good thing about wine is you can just buy it. There is a bit of difficulty in obtaining and planting a tree of my choice.

I do recognize that you have limited interest in whether I will be reasonably happy. But think of all of you who could just sit under the tree and wait for the good seeds to drop.