Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
familyreno

Budget Reface Kitchen Reno - Pictures

familyreno
12 years ago

I've been a long time reader of this forum, but this is my first post. I ran into technical difficulty trying to get registered and it took me forever. My new kitchen doesn't compare to most I've seen on this site, but I thought I would share because I always found pictures helpful when I was deciding on granite, faucets etc. Our kitchen reno was done on a modest budget and we decided early on to reface the main part of the kitchen since the existing "L" shape was not changing. We added a new island, switched cupboards for more drawers and reworked our existing pantry to fit a bigger, albeit counterdepth, refridgerator. It's by no means 100% finished, but we are getting there.

Here are some of the details.

Granite - Giallo Ornamental

Backsplash - (my least favorite part of the kitchen but that's another story) is Olympia - Cristalo Collection Light Beige with Creama Marfil

Sink: Blanco Silgranit in cafe brown (LOVE IT!!)

Faucet: Delta (Addison)

Island Lights: Origina Canada Lighting

Floors: Laurentian Hardwood, Legacy Series in Oak Coffee

Appliances: Fridge is Samsung Counterdepth. Slide-in range, dishwasher and microwave are Kenmore from Sears

When we bought this house 12 years ago I was so thrilled with my new golden oak kitchen. We loved it so much we ripped out the linoleum flooring and added more golden oak hardwood! The cabinets were in perfect shape which was another reason we chose to reface. It was hard to rip out perfectly good hardwood but I LOVE my new dark hardwood floors. The constant dusting & sweeping is worth it.

Here are a few shots of the BEFORE:

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

That backsplash did NOT come off easy...

From Kitchen Reno

During the reface:

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

And now the AFTER.

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

From Kitchen Reno
From Kitchen Reno

Very hard to get a good photo of the backsplash. I don't love it but it looks better in person than it does in photographs.

From Kitchen Reno

From Kitchen Reno

The drum lights over the island. I have a matching one for the kitchen table that will be put up whenever I get around to buying a kitchen table!

From Kitchen Reno

Now I'm on a quest to find the perfect bar stools, kitchen table and furniture for the adjacent family room. It never ends!

Comments (68)

• krad
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Another wow! It looks wonderful!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Oh my, it is so lovely! It is so grown-up and elegant! I love those drum pendants!

You must be on cloud nine! Congratulations and enjoy!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Amazing transformation! I love your granite AND your BS. I think the BS gives your kitchen a wonderful modern touch. Love the new cab doors and hardware. And your drum fixtures are the perfect final touch!

My mom is thinking about replacing her countertops next year but leaving her golden oak cathedral top cabs as is. I'm going to show her your pics so she'll know what might be possible.

Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational reno!!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Again, I find myself with my jaw hanging open, saying "oh, My, God!"
    I love your backsplash, as it resolves on my monitor!
    I love everything! I think your fixtures have excellent contrast with your counters and cabs.
    I think you did an amazing job.
    Modest = fabulous!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

I am grateful to see a kitchen that has not been a total tear-down. Thanks from all who appreciate keeping within bounds and budget.

• annac54
    12 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! Love the cabinets, granite, and backsplash. And what a difference rearranging and putting new doors on the cabinets made. Thanks for sharing and hope you enjoy your new kitchen.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Love the granite, backsplash and the drum lights! Hope the backsplash grows on you ;) Well done!
    mmhmm

• Linda
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! An amazing transformation -- and without breaking the bank! Great job. Love the lights, and the granite, and the floors, and everything!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Looks amazing. You would never guess that it was classified as a budget redo. It looks very classy and high end. Love the drum shades!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Beautiful (and elegant as so many others have said)! Love your colors and how everything belongs together. That was an amazing transformation!

• whisperingwillow
    12 years ago

WOW! Love it.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Wow, I would never have guessed it was a budget reno! The difference is Amazing!! Beautiful job!!

• library_girl
    12 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. I would be thrilled to have my kitchen turn out as lovely!!

• abh2
    12 years ago

I am thinking of order cabinet doors (from Semihandmade) for a feature area in my soon to be modern kitchen and I can't decide between teak and walnut. Love the lighter color and finer lines of the teak, but walnut may be more durable? The other cabinets are white slab. Any feedback on either of these would be much appreciated!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Great job! It came out lovely. Like the new high crown over the sink window.

Thank you for posting. It's very interesting to have someone show a cabinet refacing
    and get to see how it actually turned out,
    AND hear how much it cost.

That gets asked a lot on here.
    Now there is a solid reference for others.

• Staceydux
    12 years ago

Wow, that is an amazing kitchen. I'm so impressed with your transformation. I would need know it;s a budget reface.

• neesie
    12 years ago

It's a lovely kitchen! I am a huge fan of Blanco Silgranit so it was good to see that you loved it also. May I ask about the cabinet over the sink? Is it decorative or functional? Either way, it has inspired me. :)

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

Woo-hoo!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

What a marvelous transformation. It looks great with the two different colours on the perimeter and the island, those drum lights are a real statement and the granite ties it all together. Great job.

• catlover5
    12 years ago

I LOVE your granite and that edge. . this is a color I was considering with my white cabs to be. The whole kitchen is fantastic and certainly does not look "budget" at all! I am also considering a Silgranit sink and am glad to hear you love it. Enjoy!! It is really beautiful.

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

gorgeous transformation! I love that black sink!

Just curious why you replaced the hardwoods? could you not have sanded and stained them a darker color?

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

I love everything you did. It looks great!

• jkoebnick
    12 years ago

What a great facelift! It looks like an entirely new kitchen! Great Job!!!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

No way is that the same kitchen! Holy Cow! I think you would fool everyone who knew the old kitchen if you said it was brand new....
    I love how much softer and calmer it is. Your bs is a great complement to the granite. The lighting and hardware complement each other as well...
    Bravo!

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

These are my favorite posts - the big reveal with before and after pics. You set the story up well... I was half expecting an updated stained cabinet - which would have been lovely too - when suddenly this georgeous bright and new kitchen appeared. Amazing transformation!

I love all of your choices!
    Thanks for sharing.

• familyreno
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What a nice surprise to log in today and see so many nice comments! Thanks everyone, especially for the confidence votes on the backsplash!

To answer a couple of the questions:

@ andreadeg - Were your cabs painted, or lacquered?
    - The perimeter cabinets were refaced - so they peeled off the old oak laminate and put on new laminate. The doors are all thermofoil, which I didn't know anything about until I started this process. I read the reviews on here - some like/some hate but the kitchen guy said they are a top seller and he's not had any problems with them so fingers crossed.

@ neesie - May I ask about the cabinet over the sink? Is it decorative or functional?
    - It's decorative but we did put a light inside the top, which is great when you are washing dishes at the sink. I'm still deciding what to do with this space - it looks really empty so I'm going to try blinds or maybe a roman shade to dress it up.

@ pipdog - Just curious why you replaced the hardwoods? could you not have sanded and stained them a darker color?
    - We decided on new hardwood for a few reasons. We took the carpet out of the adjoining family room and put the new hardwood all the way through to give it a more open, uniform look. I don't think we could have matched that old hardwood, plus we wanted the wider plank.

Thanks again!

• janjan212
    11 years ago

WOW! Amazing! Did I say AMAZING? Your update makes me want to scrap my countertop/backsplash/sink update and go for the refacing as well. I figure since I already have an island, don't need the pull outs, etc that I might be able to get a similar look as you for even less. I haven't even received my first countertop bid so I don't know how it would compare, but Holy Cow your "budget" redo is one of my favorites yet. Nice going !

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow!!!

• Emily
    11 years ago

WOW! What an amazing transformation! It is absolutely gorgeous. i would be so happy every time I walked into that kitchen! Congrats!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I love your kitchen. It looks really inviting. I'm really glad you posted because this is a website that people from all price-points come to view. You had nice bones for your original layout and oak is such a durable wood, that it really makes sense why you would reface the cabinets.

I also like your granite; it especially looks gorgeous on the sink counter. Your granite guy did a nice job laying out your slabs.

Thanks for sharing!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I love the new cabinet doors, hardware, gorgeous granite (one of my favorites in my choices), the new lighting, and the overall updated beautiful look. It is an amazing transformation. Thank you for sharing.

• susanmiller696
    11 years ago

Stunning transformation! Loved each and everything about it! Especially the backsplash & The drum lights- Awesome!

• cakewalker
    11 years ago

I stand with the rest - your reno is BEAUTIFUL. I am choosing countertops as well and wondered how long your island is? Would you share your costs for your counters - mainly because I am looking at the same granite (honed) or another light granite and haven't been able to get any good estimates here in Chicago for the lighter stuff.

Lastly, I have been looking at the very same pendants and was thinking I'd do three, but wonder if I really need to add a third for the length of our island. Would you share your island dimensions? And again, AMAZING transformation...

• TheRedHouse
    11 years ago

Oh my! What a beautiful transformation!

• familyreno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@cakewalker... sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't been on for a while. I don't know what the cost of the granite was specifically, because the job was quoted as a whole with everything included. The Island top is 72" long by 34 1/2" wide.

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

Can I ask what company he used for the cabinet doors? Are the stained cabinets also thermofoil or are they real wood? thanks! What a wonderful update!

• akl_vdb
    11 years ago

Looks beautiful, nothing like I was expecting a 'budget' reno to look like!

• familyreno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The company we used is called Kitchen Saver - just a small company in Chatham, Ontario. I think the cabinets are from a company called NuBold in London, Ontario and they are the Prestige Collection. The stained cabinets are wood.

• scrappy25
    11 years ago

thanks for the info, I really like your doorstyle. Looks great!

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

Familyreno, could you tell me the paint color you used? We finished our galley kitchen remodel, and I have that same granite. Our BS has tan/taupe 2-inch squares with 1x2-inch clear glass inserts that really look light green. I can't decide to paint a green or tan/neutral. DD threatens me almost if I paint it green, as the adjoining LR/DR are green and she thinks it would be too much green. (There is a doorway, so it's not open concept.) I never intended to end up with a brown/tan/cream kitchen. Like you, I have very little area to paint anyway. Oh, my, that was too much info as I was just asking about the paint color. Thanks for responding and giving me a color to start from.

• familyreno
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi gardenpea the paint colour is Benjamin Moore Wild Mushroom

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

It's beautiful....enjoy!

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, familyreno!

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Don't be surprised if the company wants to use your kitchen for their advertisements. Wow.

• gardenpea_gw
    11 years ago

Thanks, familyreno!

• melh22
    9 years ago

Hi! Amazing transformation. I love what you did! I recently re-painted my golden oak cabinets an off white and also added giallo ornamental granite (very similar to yours...lighter than most of the other slabs I saw). Now I'm stuck on the backsplash. I can't seem to find one that I like or that goes with the other elements in the room. I noticed that you said you did not care for you backsplash. Why is that? What would you have done there if you could do it over again? Thanks so much. I'm very inspired by your kitchen!

• oasisowner
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• julievandergriend
    7 years ago

That looks beautiful! We are in the just beginning stages of a reno and I really like what you've done!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler