Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_luv_my_dog

Almost Finished Kitchen - Pics - Need Backsplash help

i_luv_my_dog
12 years ago

Hello,

Here are a few pictures of our almost finished kitchen. Granite was just installed today. Background is that we have a 1940's Cape Cod home in a modest neighborhood.

Cabinets are Thomasville Cottage style, Cotton color

Paint is Behr Gentle Rain color

Granite is Bianco Antico

Hardware is RH Hanson knobs and pulls in polished nickel

I was planning on going with a basic 3 x 6 white ceramic tile from Lowes or Home Depot, but now that the granite is in, I am having second thoughts. I love all the pics that I see with the basic white subway tile, so I feel like I should just jump in.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: flickr

Comments (16)

• bklyn24
    12 years ago

i think the white subway tile would look nice with that.

i also think i may just go with a basic white even though it wasn't my first choice. It looks so nice in lots of magazine pics and also in others kitchens. I was actually in HD today and was surprised that i actually liked the tiles they had. (some of them, anyway).

good luck!

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen! I have to say, I really like the 'cotton' finish. We installed Thomasville maple Pearl last year, mostly because the white was too white and the dover was too grey....wishing now that they had the cotton color then.

As for your backsplash...I think white would be nice, and would let the granite really shine. Certainly you've seen Bee's kitchen, which has a white/BA combo with beautiful arabesque tile. Do a search on google and it will surely come up.

Looking forward to seeing it finished!

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

White subway tile would be nice, fine, safe - kind of plain and slightly boring but there isn't anything wrong with that. However if you like color or you want to do something a little more bold, you could do a colored subway. Or a unique shape like Bee's kitchen with the arabesque tiles as jalsy6 already mentioned.

Your kitchen is very lovely though - don't get me wrong.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I like your kitchen very much- your hardware is beautiful. I think if you like the white subway tile you should get it. It is pretty and will not compete with your counter tops. You could also go look at other white tile to see if you like any of the square tiles or combinations of different sized white tiles. I'm drawn to hand-glazed square white tiles in a diagonal pattern. Don't know why- I just love diagonal tiles. I'd also consider white beadboard, but that may not be your style.
    Renee

Renee

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you don't want white tile, why not gray? HD has Daltile subways in gray....

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Here are some pretty backsplashes- I like the white tile in the diagonal.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash ideas

• AnnaA
    12 years ago

I love how the blue paint compliments the blue hues in your countertops. Together with your white cabinets, it looks very soothing. Beautiful!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are a few ideas.
    Love your cabinets. Very pretty.
    ~boxer

althens silver cream

• jjdcl
    12 years ago

I remember thinking the same thing when it was time to put in my backsplash. I just kept thinking subway tile was going to look boring even though I loved it in everyone else's kitchen. I finally bought a bunch at Lowe's and taped it up so I could see it. I had planned on buying a beveled edge subway tile, but the one from Lowe's looked so good I decided to go with it. I really didn't get the full effect until I grouted it. It's amazing how grout can transform subway tile. I really wish I had made a board with the tile grouted in different colors. I saw that suggested here after I had already grouted.

• i_luv_my_dog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the comments! I love the white subways, but am concerned it will look "cheap" now next to the luxurious granite. Does that make sense? No one loves white subways more than I do, but now that the granite was just installed, it no longer feels "right".

Boxer - I love the diagonal shaped tile. Do you know what it is?

Also, the paint is a light gray color, but yes, it does look blue in the photos.

Another question - how do you all feel about the seam? My gut and I communicated this yesterday to the installer yesterday that it looks like 2 parts of the stone were used to put those edges together. I think the seam looks pretty bad. Thoughts?!?

Thanks so much! I am glad to know our almost finished kitchen is GW-approved. ;0)

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I don't want to say anything about the seam because I am afraid there may be no solution. Can it be made a little less obvious?
    Renee

• catlover5
    12 years ago

Absolutely lovely kitchen! Simply elegant. Can't wait to see it all finished. Is it possible to get samples of what you want to use and hold them against the wall, perhaps even leave them there, to see how you feel about them?

• flyingkite
    12 years ago

We installed Azul Aran and now also looking for the matching backslash tile.

Azul Aran looks somewhat close to your Bianco Antico.

Check this video, I think 3 x 6 white ceramic tile from Lowes will be just fine, it's our choice as well.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZImSr3t8xw

Report this post

• flyingkite
    12 years ago

Posted by i_luv_my_dog (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 9:53

Thanks all for the comments! I love the white subways, but am concerned it will look "cheap" now next to the luxurious granite. Does that make sense? No one loves white subways more than I do, but now that the granite was just installed, it no longer feels "right".

i_luv_my_dog,

If you install something that looks "rich" it will overshadow your beautiful countertops.

I think basic 3 x 6 white ceramic tile from Lowes will be just fine, it's our choice also.

• i_luv_my_dog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all - I started a new thread with a new option that I found. Maybe I should have kept it to one thread...sorry about that...

@jjdcl - I did a board too of the white subways from HD. Have not grouted them yet as I was still debating the subways, wanted to wait until I was more committed. will post a pic of that actually

@hosenemesis - oh no, you see the seam too? I might put my KA mixer over there to cover it up a bit. One of my contractors is coming by today (he used to install countertops before this gig and will get his professional opinion on the job) before saying anything again to the fabricator. My lesson learned from this is no matter what the granite slabyard tells you or your KD tells you about needing a seam, I am definitely going to wait to finish my kitchen design in the future & discuss with the fabricator to avoid a seam if at all possible. The installer said usually they cut things off at about 110-114 and any longer needs a seam.

@catlover5 - I posed another thread with a new idea. will also post the white subway board I made next to the BA

@flyingkite - your Azul looks very nice and the tile contrast is much more of what I think I want next to the BA granite

• meridianave
    11 years ago

What size knobs and pulls did you use? Your kitchen is beautiful.