Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apron sink/Size of sink base question

Posted by twinkletoesmomma (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 19:52

Working on trying to figure out what size apron sink base would fit a 30" sink base. We are going with KraftMaid cabinets, and the sales rep said,
For a 30" apron sink base, the usable sink is 25 5/8"w

for a 33" sink base - 31 5/8"

and for a 36" sink base - 34 5/8"

From searching around here, there seems to be two different ways to install a farm sink--using the same size cabinet as sink or using a bigger sink cabinet.

I like the look of the sink being the same (or close) size as the sink base cabinet.

If I want a 30" sink, could I still fit it into a 30" cabinet since there are filler pieces on either side?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apron sink/Size of sink base question

If you want the sink same size as the cabinet, then your cabinet isn't 34 1/2" tall. the cabinet would be 34 1/2" minus the height of your farnhouse sink if you wanted undermounted to the granite. I don't know if kraftmaid offers such a cabinet though i bet you could order a 24" deep wall cabinet the height you need and have the trim carpenter set it on a homemade toe kick. Also, you might want to consider each cabinet next to the sink as having a flush finished end in case some of the sides will show (don't know what apron sink you're planning on) and maybe even a skin for the top of the sink cabinet in case any of it will show. That also means your DW can't fit up snug to your sink because the ugly sides of it will show when the door is open. You will either have to have a small cabinet between the sink and the DW or a 3/4 finished panel.

o

thanks, but I was only talking about width of the cabinet. it'll be standard height.

can anyone else offer feedback?

o

but thats what I was trying to say... if you want the sink the same size as the base, 30", then your base isn't as tall because the sink will sit on top of the base, so the question isn't how wide should the sink base be, you've already said you want the sink as wide as the sink base, so the question is how tall.

Now if you want the kind of sink base that somes with a wood apron on the sink base and you want it to be cut out and scribed to the apron sink, then i would say the sink base should be 3" larger (or more) than the width of the sink. That leaves you 1 1/2" on either side of the sink once it is installed.

o

I guess I am still not really understanding what height has to do with this. Do you have a picture of it?

Are you just saying to not use an "apron sink base" at all and just go with a normal, but shorter base cabinet?

sorry I am so dense about this! :)

o

First question: what kind of apron-front sink? Some are meant to sit atop a cabinet that's been cut down to recieve the sink. That'd be like the stainless steel or copper ones, and maybe some fireclay sinks with more regular rectangular shape. There's a thread on here (I think bichonlover started it) where Poorowner and I responded with pictures about our stainless apron front sink installations. Here's a picture of my sink. It's in a same-size cabinet with two dishwasher panels on either side. You could get away with not using the dw panels, but I needed them to deal with a spacing issue, and to cut down on dw noise.
Photobucket

Some (and I'm thinking about the handmade Shaw's and other fireclay ones) are meant to go into an apron-front cabinet that's had a cutout in the blank apron front to receive the sink. Thus the cabinet has to be wide enough to hold the sink and still have some space on either side of the sink for the cutout. I think I've seen Shaw's owners with 33" sinks in a 36" cabinet, and the like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here