Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningguru

Sad day!

Sherri Stein
14 years ago

I wanted bottlestone counters in sand to match my bamboo cabinets. But, my kd vetoed it because I would have a seam. Any ideas for something like it? I'm trying to create as green of kitchen as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottlestone Counters

Comments (11)

• msrose
    14 years ago

Won't you have a seam no matter what you use?

Laurie

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

The only material I know of that doesn't show seams (if done right) is Corian. What does your KD suggest?

• Fori
    14 years ago

Stainless steel is recycled and recyclable and seamless...

A bottlestone seam might not be awful, depending on how and where it is. Don't let your KD have outright veto power--not over the GW people at least! :)

• spider007
    14 years ago

You might check out Fuez, which is a very similar product made from recycled bottles but comes in longer slabs, up to 130 inches, whereas Bottlestone is limited to 48 inches

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuez

• steff_1
    14 years ago

Do you have a problem with seams? And does the KD have a green alternative? Why veto a clients request without an alternative?

Most of them do have shorter pieces than other surfaces at this time because of the shipping.

Paperstone is nice also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paperstone

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

There are other companies that make counters from recycled glass like Vetrazzo. The ''greenness'' of any of them will depend on the manufacturing process as well as how close you live to the plant, as shipping the product to your home can use so much energy that it negates the value of using recycled materials.

Do YOU care about a seam? And who gave the KD veto power?

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dear GW Members - Thank you for your ideas! Of course my KD doesn't have final veto power. But, I did hire her for ideas. But, your ideas are the best! I'm thinking about using stainless as a backsplash - so it might be a little much for the counter too. Time for more research. I hadn't seen Fuez before.

Thanks everyone!

• Fori
    14 years ago

If you're considering some stainless elements, perhaps one of the big sink worktops that go front-to-back (ie. no counter surrounding sink) would make a seam unnecessary, or an apron sink would leave you with just a seam behind the sink. Cooktop run seam? Find a rangetop instead of a cooktop.

I don't know your layout but if you really want the stuff, I'm sure we can put your seams in acceptable spots!

(How about switch it--Bottlestone backsplash and stainless counters? Easier to keep clean I bet!)

And I'm not going to be too hard on your KD being anti-seam. I ruled out quartz for the same reason... =)

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Depending on the material size and the size of your applicaion - you'll
    either HAVE a seam or you wont.

There's ways of getting your seams to be super tight and chip free -
    I TEACH that technique at AZ School of Rock....

There's also a new seaming system that works perfectly on ALL Natural Stone
    Engineered Stone and ALL "GREEN" Countertops (Bottlestone included)
    it's called the Accu-Seam

There is a DIY version coming out in April - as well as the Pro Models -
    Fabricators are using the Accu-Seam, along with the Seam Phantom, Gorilla Grips
    and OmniCubed SSVCA and getting REALLY COOL RESULTS!!!

hth

kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Accu-Seam

• plllog
    14 years ago

Bottlestone sounds very interesting!! If I understand right, the glass is carried in ceramic, rather than concrete, which gives it all the benefits of tile. We've had reports of problems with glass terrazzos in concrete because of the concrete not holding up well to kitchen use. This sounds superior!

What's wrong with a seam? You're gaining so much else! If it's in an awkward place you can do an artistic treatment. For instance, if the problem is that there will be a seam right in the middle of the counter, you can have an inset circle or squiggle or line of a contrasting color or material. Do something interesting. I don't know if it helps, and don't know if it'll work on this product, but I've seen beveled seams done where the two surfaces overlap to minimize the appearance of the seam. But seams hardly show in all over pattern surfaces like this.

Have you asked the company about the seams, and what their recomendations are?

• Sherri Stein
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks everyone. I posted my floor plans. Please take a look and see what you think. My kd is concerned about the island.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz