Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilyj_gw

Recessing a wall to accomodate a regular fridge...

lilyj
16 years ago

Have you done it during a reno? Was it worth the trouble? I love the look of a built-in refrigerator, but our fridge is less than a year old and DH will never agree to purchase a new one. He has also gone to some length to tell me the work involved in knocking out a section of the kitchen wall and restructuring the walk-in closet in the guest room. The bottom line is that he'll do it, but only if I think I won't be happy without it. We have already planned to create a frame around the refrigerator and do the usual cabinets above it. It sits against the wall and is at the end of a run of cabs. If you did it in your reno, do you think you'd do it again? I will appreciate all responses.

Comments (13)

• november
    16 years ago

We recessed about 4 inches so our regular-depth fridge wouldn't stick out as much. We were knocking that part of the wall out anyway - I don't know if it would be worth it if you're not messing with that wall. It looks nice, but it doesn't look like a built-in (nor did I think it would). Ours sits at the end of a cabinet run also - here's a picture. (The piece of wood on top of the fridge isn't supposed to be there - it's a doorstop we used to use)

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Our contractor was going to recess our refrigerator by taking the 2"x4"s that were in the wall behind the fridge and turn them sideways. They would still be in the wall for support but the 4" side would be showing (before drywalling) instead of the 2" end.

Unfortunately the water pipe for the ice maker was installed too far forward so that turning the studs would not have made a difference. He was however able to buy us a couple inches by recessing the power outlet.

Keep in mind even if you move your refrigerator back and box it, you still need to have the doors clear the box so they can open.

Jodi-

• abbycat9990
    16 years ago

We were able to recess our fridge so that it is in line with the 12" deep pantries. We created a new kitchen in the DR space, and moved the door a few inches and recessed the fridge into the wall oven space in the old kitchen:

It was a no-brainer for us, and it dictated the appliance placement. We love how it minimized the hulking mass of the fridge:

• lilyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. "Hulking mass" is a good way to describe the way I feel about my refrigerator, abbycat. I've never really liked this refrigerator, but the other one was 24 years old and on its last legs. I had no idea what I wanted in a new kitchen so I pretty much chose the white because I felt white would never go the way of harvest gold, or almond in my case. We've done a sort of mock up and I think that even leaving room for the doors we'll still be able to scoot the fridge in several inches. Just having that part of the kitchen uncluttered by the bulk of the refrigerator will be a welcome change.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

My DH recessed the fridge into the 2x4 kit/garage wall of a rental we remodeled. He removed the studs and added a header above the space (same as a doorway). Then added 3/4" plywood, and covered that with white melamine (melamak?) ... it kinda looks like formica bonded to masonite. Only problem was he had to move the wall outlet that was behind the fridge to 4" beside the fridge - a small price to pay to have the "hulking mass" shrink in size.

• lilyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weedyacres, your original layout around the refrigerator is like mine. I'm up against a wall except I have about a foot more floor space between the fridge and the door jamb. I don't have enough room to have the tall cabs around the fridge like you do, but I sure wish I did. It looks great, better than what I imagined anything but a built-in could look. DH will love these pics. ha

I love your cabinets.

• slc2053
    16 years ago

Keep in mind, if you have the room..bring your wall AROUND your refrigerator forward 6 inches..that's what we did. We couldn't go back into the original wall with the refrigerator..so instead, we build another wall 6 inches in front of the original and left an opening for the refrigerator. You still achieve the same look. Now, we had the room to do this and it wasn't a long run of wall so we didn't feel as though we were wasting alot of space.

• gabeach
    16 years ago

weedyacres, your ref. looks much better than mine ended up.
    You must have a different brand. Mine is a KA, and if I recessed it in that much the doors would not open.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

gabeach: Our fridge is a Whirlpool. We put 1/2" fillers on either side of the 36" cabinet overhead, and it was a tight squeeze. And we had to remove the plastic hinge covers on the top. But it worked.

• alanandnancy
    16 years ago

We didn't want to buy a new fridge either, and I'd read about recessing the space on garden web. We had a staircase behind, and so was able to fit it in. Won't know how well it works til it's all finished! This photo is from yesterday! There will be a pantry cabinet right next to it, and a doorway on the other side.
    I tried posting a photo but it kept not working, so perhaps this link will work. Sorry.

http://picasaweb.google.com/nbfriedland/KitchenDemolition/photo#5181510508476322082

• lilyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I'm sure I want to do this now. I think it will look great and will go a long way in making me like my big ol' white refrigerator better!

• lilyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The refrigerator is recessed and I'm going to love it. The drywall isn't mudded or taped, the closet in the guest bedroom needs to be repaired, and hubby smashed his finger ten ways to Sunday, but we're very happy with it.

Nothing is going to get back to normal anytime soon though. I said I wasn't in a hurry and am perfectly happy with the mess, but DH isn't happy that I'm dragging my feet with the cabinet selection. There are just so many wonderful things out there and so many beautiful color combinations that I don't want to choose too quickly and then regret it for years and years. I'm sure I want white or creamy cabinets, but a funny thing has happened. Everywhere I look on television series, commercials, movies, there are white cabinets. It's like buying a new car and then meeting yourself everywhere you go...Anyone else experience this?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!