Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meggswife_gw

Marble Lovers, come out, come out wherever you are!

meggswife
12 years ago

I went to the granite yard yesterday and was wandering around looking at slabs, when what should I see? A stunning piece piece of Carrera marble peeking out from behind a slab of some unknown stone. It was so beautiful! When the gal helping me said it made a great countertop and that Carrera was pretty hard and stain proof, (she pointed out that floors in State buildings are made of marble as well as other high traffic areas.), I began think envision it in my kitchen. My husband was a bit dubious when I mentioned it, but he said it was up to me. I read every thread I could find last night, (my eyes were burning out of my head by the time I was done!), and saw loads of pictures of various states of etching. (You all have some beautiful kitchens!). I feel I can live with etching and staining doesn't seem to be a huge issue, (or is it?). My husband went to look on his lunch hour today, and the guy (at the same place), he spoke with said that marble is very soft and likely not a good choice for us. He told my husband that it scratches very easily. So, now my husband is thinking it may not be such a great idea, but it's still up to me. Let me give you a quick mental picture of where and how we'd use it, and then I'll ask a few questions. Our perimeter cabinets are white and the perimeter counters are butcher block stained walnut with a reddish tinge. The island is comprised of dark stained cabinets and it is 3x8 ft. The marble would go on the island. There is a prep sink on one end, and seating at the other. The island is our main work surface, and though I am one that uses cutting boards, my family sometimes doesn't. We have nine children ages 21, 19, 16, 14, 12, 10, 9, 3, 1. The younger four often sit at the counter and do projects. The island is not in direct sunlight. It is also our landing space for groceries that need to be put away.

1.) Am I insane for even considering marble? I'm not "fussy", but I don't want my very expensive island to look awful. Patina is fine, "what the heck happened??" isn't. : )

2.) How badly does marble scratch? Are we talking gouges or a line you can see, but not feel? If someone does their schoolwork, will the pen or pencil leave grooves?

3.) How bad is chipping / breaking?

4.) Can the children use Play Doh on the marble? Finger paint (on paper)?

I can live with etching, but I'd be bummed if I had colored stains or if there were chips and breaks all over.

I really appreciate your patience with "more marble questions" and I value your input. (By the way, I ran to HD and picked up a pack of Carrera tiles to play with. They say they were made in China though, so maybe not as good of quality? They are also honed and the slab is polished.)

Comments (57)

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I have honed Calacatta on my island and two perimeter counters, plus honed absolute black on either side of my range. Love the marble. I've had it since August and we are enthusiastic cooks, both DH and myself as well as our two teenage boys. We try to keep citrus and vinegar on the AB, but forget once in a while. We have a few etches which you can't see unless you're looking, as it's a very busy piece of stone. No stains or chips or dings at all. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Hope that helps!

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the replies! I am absolutely fine with etching, it's only chipping, gouging, breaking that has me fearful; (and staining, but that doesn't seem to be an issue). It's funny, when I read the super cautionary comments, my heart drops, and when I read the encouraging ones, my heart soars! I love the thought of marble in my kitchen and I'd never even given it a second thought before yesterday. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, (I'd have gone stark raving mad by now), but we are a very tidy family overall. Spills are wiped up quickly, and the house is clean before we go to bed each night, (no dishes left undone). We get buried too quickly if we don't stay on top of things. If a slab is already polished, can it be honed? I have to go back and look, but the slab I saw wasn't nearly as shiny as granite, though the guy at the yard told my husband it was polished. I looked pretty quickly as it was snowing like mad and the baby was hungry. I like a lot of granites, but I haven't found one that I wanted for our kitchen. (This is our third kitchen remodel - I joined GW in '04 - and hopefully our last for a long time.) We installed the cabinets, flooring, and backsplash above the range nine months ago. I've been living with three mismatched counters and a sheet of melamine on the island, (with a duct taped edge!). I am very ready to finish this project, but I want it to be something I love. Our first two homes were never our "forever" home. I'm new on the marble band wagon, so if I shouldn't have it, I'll likely be fine. I'd better hurry and decide though.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I have honed Carrara perimeter counters and walnut on my island. My Carrara has definetly scratched in a couple of places. They are visible to the eye, but I can't really feel them with a hand pass so I'd say they aren't really gouges. Pencils and pens do not leave grooves.

No staining, although I have a slight discoloration where the espresso machine leaked due to a guest fiddlin' with the machine's insides.

Marble etches. FACT! I have a new etch "badge" as of Monday from a citrus juicing contraption leaking on it's way from cleanup sink to DW. I don't mind the etching. Etching will be much worse on polished marble than honed.

I have a couple of small chips on the almost squared off marble edge. They must have happened when the last few trades were in around the time we moved back into the house. I know they aren't recent as the drawers under the marble in that area aren't used very much. I have a few little small white ding areas in the middle of the tops. The surface isn't really broken so nothing collects inside. Just a visual effect, really.

My kids use play doh at the kitchen table or play table so can't comment on that. My 6y.o. DS does occassional food experiments involiving food coloring when I'm making dinner. His work usually is done at the island, but sometimes migrates to the marble. No staining.

My peninsula.

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezy,
    I love your marble! Do you think a different edge would be less likely to chip? Your edge is just what I'd like to have, but I'm wondering if a more decorative edge would be better because there would be the sharp 90* angle... hmm... I'm thinking if a broom handle whacked the edge or a wooden sword accidentally contacted it during a fierce battle. Would you let your children play with Play Doh on the marble? Do you purposely avoid it? I'm guessing if your son's food experiments don't stain, Play Doh wouldn't. Boy, your marble is beautiful. I keep scrolling up to look at it. : ) Thank you for your input.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

My fabricator suggested the eased edge and said it was least likely to chip. My marble is on the perimeter. The "bullet proof" granite on my island that was so tough they couldn't break off a sample piece from the slab -- it has a couple of edge chips. The marble does not. If broom handles and wooden swords are swishing and banging in your kitchen, I can think of a lot of other things you might want to avoid too -- glass, wood, stainless, ceramics -- not to mention anything with liquid in it. Maybe the sword fights should go outside?

My boys were past play-doh when I got the marble, but I have rolled fondant on it, kneaded bread, dripped food coloring, wine, chocolate and chili.

When people say marble is soft, it is still a rock. Like any other stone, it could chip. Breakage is possible, but usually in cutting, transporting or due to improper installation than kitchen use. It will etch. It will probably stain, but a good sealer should prevent stains and reapplying is as easy as cleaning the counters and wiping them down with sealer. Same as many granites.

I don't have any regrets, but if you've read everything you could find and still aren't comfortable, maybe it's not for you.

• sayde
    12 years ago

Vermont Eureka Danby counters installed last April. There are just the two of us. A couple of little etches, no stains. We're careful.

The thing is, I looked for months and once I saw a little sample of this I knew it was what I had to have. Nothing came close. I was so sure I had to have it that when I couldn't find any I committed to a slab I found online. I love it and it works perfectly in the kitchen. For the floors, for the tile, there would have been several options that would have worked beautifully but for the counters, this was the one and only. I think it helps if you feel that way about it -- then you accept the etches and the wear that come with time.

• clinresga
    12 years ago

I really believe that marble is, and probably needs to be, a love at first sight phenomenon. I remember the hours we spent touring the stone galleries looking at hundreds of slabs, hoping to find a "lower maintenance" alternative but nothing really resonated like the marble we had already seen. I think you need that kind of visceral connection to compensate with the etching etc. If you find yourself spending weeks and weeks (and generating GW post after post!) about the pros and cons, you probably should consider another material.

On the other hand, meggswife, if you're willing to live with temp countertops for nine months, you may be passionate enough about getting the perfect counter to fall for marble. Good luck.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I love looking into marble. I think the translucent quality is unsurpassed!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

marble helped keep food cool in pee-refrigeration days

lillyvt, this made my day. :)

• alison_charleston
    12 years ago

I have Carrera marble counter tops and wood on my island. I love it and could not be talked out of it.

I have no stains I sealed with 511. Have had them installed for about a year now. I do have a couple small chips around the sink. I have a really deep sink and the pots and pans handles I think chipped it out. But oh well. I still love them! I wouldn't hesitate to do it over again. I have no children so I cant comment on that. But I don't baby them either.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I have a honed marble perimeter, and I love it. No stains, a little etching, no scratching. I would think play dough would be fine, but I would probably test it on a marble sample first to make sure the dyes didn't stain. Our marble came polished at the granite yard, and they honed it for me.

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! You are all so helpful. I have looked at a lot of stone and thought some was very nice, but the marble was the first one to sing, (and I only saw a small portion of it). I'm going back on Monday and I am going to ask them to move the piece blocking it so I can see the whole thing. I'll take pictures of the slab(s) and post them.

The questions are supposed to be "sensible" as I don't want to rush into it without a bit of research. I have waited so long to find the "right thing", (and I think I may have), but marble wasn't on my radar before, so I feel like I'm playing catch-up now.

As to sword fighting in the kitchen, it is indeed frowned on, but seven of our nine children are boys, so it does happen. Oh, also nerf gun wars, basketball, and random chasing. : ) Our layout is circular. You can go from the kitchen into the dining room, into the living room, into the hall, into the family room, and back into the kitchen - around, and around, and around!

As far as I know, this stone yard only has Carrera. We don't have a wide selection; (we live in a tiny town in southern Oregon).

Thank you all again for your input.

• westsider40
    12 years ago

I don't even know why I picked out Vermont Olympia White marble because it is more traditional and I like to think that I built a modern kitchen. So, marble doesn't 'go'. I was hypnotized or what's that siren song? It wasn't love at first sight but it is absolutely and unequivocally true love. I have a few surface dings and don't know how they happened. Etches, yeah. If I cared, I know there are fixes but I don't care . My edges are kind of eased, too, also not modern, but was talked into by fab. It's ok.

I got the marble as I was afraid that the white quartz I really wanted would not be bulletproof. Huh?

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I goofed around with my Carrera tiles from HD today. (Does anyone know if they are the same quality or are they inferior? They're "Jeffery Court" brand and they say made in China. They're honed and not sealed, unless they come sealed?) I was not kind to them. I tried lemon juice, ketchup, mayonnaise, mustard, hot sauce, peanut butter, and jelly. After 3 hours, I washed it all off. There were no stains, but of course there was etching. It was good to see in person and realize that it's fine with me. Then I took my keys, raised my arm all the way and Slammed them down onto the tile - repeatedly. It left some little white marks, but didn't chip the tile or seem to actually dent it. Then, I took my heavy sauce pan and whacked the marble. Again, some small white marks, but no chips or cracks. Next, I used a knife to slice a baby carrot. It was a regular dinner utensil and it caused the most damage. I wasn't forceful at all. I just held the little carrot with one hand and sliced it into 1/8 inch circles. Each slice left a white line where the knife contacted the marble. That bugs me a bit. I then got out my good butcher knife and diced another carrot. It didn't leave any real visible marks. If you rotated the tile in the light, you could see some faint lines, but nothing like the dinner knife. (It does have a bit of a serrated edge and of course it has a thicker blade edge than my butcher knife, so maybe that's the difference?) I am one who always uses a cutting board, but my family forgets, so I wanted to see what would happen. Do your counters scratch that easily, or is the sample I'm working with poor marble? All in all, it's still at the top of my list. I can't wait to see the slab on Monday!

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Meg,

I tested several marbles, with foods, food coloring, knives, oils, etc. I cut my dogs teeny enalipryl and lasix pills in half - 180 of them - on my sample. I saw some knife marks in the marble. I then use a very fine grit sandpaper (220??? I can't remember but it was smooth) WITH WATER - WET sanding was the key - and they knife marks disappeared. When I first dry sanded, I saw more scratches. But wet sanding took everything away, including all etching EXCEPT lemon juice. That's one etch I can't make disappear.

As for the play dough - I roll fondant for cakes and was concerned about that. First off, I tried red food coloring on the marble (because I color my fondant first). The red food coloring did stain, even with a sealer, and never came out. I used a poultice first. I tried bleach, I tried peroxide, I tried Comet and the Scotch brite green scrubby pad, I tried wet sanding. The only thing that made it lighter was Soft Scrub. But even then it didn't come out and was very visible. So I concluded NO FOOD COLORING NEAR MARBLE! Having said that, I rolled out my already colored fondant on the marble. Perfect! Don't even have to powder-sugar (or flour) the surface. It doesn't stick. No wonder it's using for pie crusts and baking - it's perfect! So I would think play dough, already colored, should be perfectly fine on your marble (after all, play dough and fondant are very similar).

My island isn't in yet, so I can't comment as to the chips. I'm having an ogee edge.

I would suggest that you go for your marble. You love it! I'm sure you will love it and it is the piece for you!

Congratulations on 9 kids too, by the way! Good for you!

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

We've had our Carrara marble in for a year now (note that we don't have children, but my hub and I are kind of hard on things). Here is what we have experienced:

~We had wet paint drip and dry on it this weekend. It scraped right off with a fingernail with no problem. No staining. Finger paint shouldn't be a worry for you.

~Had a drip of BBQ sauce (vinegar based) that stood over night. No stain (it's well sealed) and miraculously did not etch.

~Lots of etching. It's really not that noticable unless you're looking for it. We have a giant etch in front of our sink that I don't even see anymore.

~Minimal scratching mostly from a year's worth of dragging the coffee canister over the same spot of countertop. It's not noticeable.

~Some minor dings from pots or something else, who knows. But nothing bad.

Get some samples from your local supplier, since they will be what you'd actually put in your kitchen and not the tiles from HD. I'd also get some of the samples from Vermont Quarries. I tried to destroy some of those honed samples and it was really difficult (I kept them all and use them as trivets, go figure). If it's in your budget I'd seriously take a look at their stones considering you have so many children that will be using the island on a daily basis.

Good luck and have fun!

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Oh Meg, I forgot to mention, as someone else did, you definitely wanted honed in the kitchen. Your stone yard (or fabricator) should be able to hone an already polished slab.

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great input!

I'm glad to hear that marble is stain resistant, (when sealed), and that the stone yard should be able to hone it for me. (I prefer the honed look anyhow.) I'm excited to hear that the knife scratches should be able to be sanded out. (I think that's the one thing bugging my husband.) I'll ask for actual samples when I go on Monday. I think we're going to have to get whatever we can find locally as the budget is set in stone (ha ha). : ) I too notice that the lemon juice was the worst "etch offender". In fact, the spot where I left it for three hours actually had a different texture afterward.

All this "marble talk" has me super excited! Does anyone want to show off their lovely marble? I'd love to see it!

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

I can't wait to be able to post pictures of the completed island, but I think it will be another 8 weeks or so. In the meantime, I can show you my marble slabs :)

This slab is for the countertop-height section of the island:

This one is for the tabletop-height section of the island:

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

slab - calcatta crema delicata

finished countertop

close up of some of the beautiful detail

i LOVE my marble!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

babushka- I LOVE your marble. It's gorgeous!!

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Those are both gorgeous! (And the kitty is pretty beautiful too!) ; )

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Well, this isn't my island, but it looks like marble...and it's beautiful! :)
    {{!gwi}}From Fairy tale cottage

• adel97
    12 years ago

I have Vermont Danby on my island (Caesarstone on the perimeter). It's yummy! No stains, chips, or scratches. Yes, it has etched because I tend to open wine on it and make salad dressing on it as it's my "dry" prep space, i.e., prep that doesn't need to be next to a sink. I was careful with it for a few weeks when my kitchen was new over a year ago, but then I stopped worrying about it.

I don't think there's necessarily a correlation between an OCD personality and discomfort with marble. I will admit to having an OCD/neat freak/"everything must be perfect at all times" personality. I love to cook and can be a messy cook, but my kitchen is always perfectly neat and clean before and after said cooking (thanks to DH and DS). Regardless, I LOVE my etched marble in my kitchen. This is just the nature of marble and therefore it is perfect in its imperfections, to me.

• dbmy
    12 years ago

It borders on insanity I know but we just bought a home that we're renovating - we're 2 months in and have at least 3 months to go before we can think of moving in.

The master bath was filled with CALACATTA marble (Calacatta is like Carrera but has a lot more veining and is more expensive). The problem was it was EVERYWHERE... on the floors, half way up the walls and in a massive completely open shower that is about 6 feet in diameter with no door. There was so much of it, your head started spinning around on your head.

Our renovation of this particular room consists of 1) tearing up the marble from the floors and replacing it with something else, 2) covering the odd green marble square inserts in the shower w/ a calacatta 'frame' ...thereby hiding the frame, 3) adding a pencil marble around the edges on the wall (it seemed "unfinished" to use) and finally 4) painting. We would love to have replaced the vanities (we hate them) but that will have to wait ... we're renovating so much of the house .. we just can't afford to take on that right now as well.

HERE ARE THE BEFORE PICS. Can't share "after" yet because all we've done so far is tear out the floor ..... (i still get sick thinking of all the money we just threw away but hopefully you'll agree there was just too much of it).

I'll share after when its done ;->! I know this is a bathroom and not a kitchen but ... wanted to share some photos of where 'more is not better' example of marble;->

• carp123
    12 years ago

I think marble has a naturally "stained" look already?
    I love marble, and will be using it for my island also. I say go for it!!

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharonite, I am coveting your marble - gorgeous!!

Dbmy, there is definitely such a thing as "too much" - wow!

Carp123, thank you!

• winesnob
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for this posting. My new bathroom cabinets will be here in about eight weeks and the next couple of weeks decision of counter to be made - this has helped me decide what my heart has been telling me I am a Marble lover. What a fun thread to read tonight.

• catkin
    12 years ago

Love the marble--wish I had the guts...and the cash...LOL

• babs711
    12 years ago

I was surprised that when I went to the stone yard that Carrera was less expensive than most granites that had similar veining. The 3 cm was a tiny bit less than Bianco Antico and Bianco Romano. The 2 cm was quite a bit less.

• meggswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I found the same thing; it was in range with the "middle" granites. I would have thought it would have been quite a bit more. Maybe it's one of the less expensive marbles?

• babs711
    12 years ago

Yes, it and White Venatino (which I found to be so pretty) were less expensive. Then you almost double the price for Calacatta. It seemed to go up from there. Now, we didn't have Vermont Danby and the yard I went to didn't have Alabama White either. I still have another yard to go to. I don't know how it would compare.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Where I am (in NJ) for the material only I was quoted $25.30 a square foot for Carrara, $85.00 for Vermont Imperial Danby, and $120.00 for Calacatta Gold...

All 1 1/4" thick.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

Has anybody tried etching their entire countertop on purpose? I wonder if that would make further damage less noticeable or produce a honed effect without all the dust?

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

anenemity- There is some info on that here. Great thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: marble thread

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Here are the few posts about your question amenity--

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 18:10
    Also, another test I've done with a 6" square piece of honed marble. (I should have taken photos)
    *Squeezed lemon juice (dots of it) onto the marble and wiped off in 30 seconds. Clear as day circle etches.
    *Took 1/2 lemon and rubbed over whole piece and left for about 1 minute. I rinsed and wiped dry. The etches didn't show anymore-the whole surface was the same- probably b/c now the whole piece was etched! Although the piece was originally honed it was now a bit less shiny than it had been (I can compare b/c I have a few samples).
    *I then (and I just tried this again) attempted to re-etch it with lemon (tomato sauce the 2nd time) and it doesn't show the etch! I mean, maybe VERY VERY lightly I can make out where I put it but no one else EVER could!
    --GRANTED this process was much easier on a 6" square than if you tried it on a whole counter and it could appear uneven if you miss little spots here and there but I thought it was interesting that the pieces don't really seem to re-etch (at least obviously- I'm sure Something goes on chemically)

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on Mon, Nov 21, 11 at 21:18
    Hi Stu-
    If you look at my post from Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 18:10. I am curious about re-etching. If you etch the whole piece of marble does it not re-etch? Also,
    are there any problems with doing this (rubbing lemon over it)? Is it wearing away the stone?
    You mentioned remove etches using certain products. Does it make the surface uneven or form divots?

Posted by srosen (My Page) on Sat, Dec 3, 11 at 9:44
    sorry two little fishies didnt see your prior post. You can hone marble using acidic compounds but I think it may be harder to acheive a uniform finish non some surfaces meaning it may streak. . It can also open the pores of the stone and makes it rougher(at a microscopic level) and will soil easier. Also yes it will always etch due to the chemical make up of the stone. Marbles are composed of calcium carbonate and are sensitive to acids. They will always etch unless coated with a topical acid resistant coating(which we never suggest). But then you dont really have marble any more. The coating will look like a coating waxy or plastic like and may cause other issues.
    To properly hone marble it should be done with progressive grits of abrasives such as diamonds,aluminum oxcides,silicon carbons or similar. There are different levels of honed finish that a skilled stone refinisher could acheive an a marble surface. More matte,high honed or somewhere in between depending on what the client wanted.
    I advise folks with marble in kitchens(if they are having issues) to hone them more matt thereby hiding the etches somewhat and making maintenance easier.
    Then tested for porousity and sealed or color enhanced properly.

• finestra
    12 years ago

One stone yard told me that you should not use 2 cm marble kitchen counterops. He said many fabricators will tell you it is ok, but in his experience, it is not strong enough for kitchen use.

In NJ, different fabricators are really upcharging the Danby because it is so popular. One fabricator charged as much as calacatta. People say that Danby is a harder marble than the Italian or Greek marbles. I don't know if that is true. The nice thing about Danby is that it is American and given the economy, it is nice to buy American where possible.

But it can be priced much closer to carrerra depending on the Danby you select. Shop around. Here the stone yards generally don't fabricate. So you have to select the slab and call a fabricator to get a price.

• carybk
    12 years ago

I love marble very much, but even with only one child, I knew I didn't want concern about my marble to occupy my attention. I knew that if I was already stressed about this or that, sometimes the counter would get me nagging, and I didn't want to be that mom. So we went with a dark granite. I hope to do some marble in our bathroom one day.

Good luck with your decision!

• lhylcn
    11 years ago

So is sealing different than honing? I get that polishing is totally different and i wouldn't want that as a kitchen island...honed is the way to go. Do i ALSO need to ask that it come sealed? Or do i seal it on my own after its installed????

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I have a question too. What does ketchup do to marble? My ten yr old twins go thru a bottle a week. They eat it on everything.

Does it stain marble.?

Love that Danby.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

lhylcn- The fabricator usually seals I think but you'd make sure. it can also be done at home...

I would assume ketchup etches b/c it's acidic and staining is possible but probably not if it is sealed well...

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Lhylcn- sealing should ideally be done both by the fabricator in his shop, and again in your kitchen once installed. Most sealer manufacturers I've spoken to say there's no exact number or times it should be done, but it usually takes several applications until every part of the marble is sufficiently sealed. This is tested by letting water sit on the surface of the marble and making sure it beads up well rather than soaking right in.

Honing is just a process that makes the marble "dull" rather than shiny. It's a personal preference. My Vermont Danby marble is very honed, very little sheen.

Red- two things that have etched my marble instantly are tomatoes and lemon juice. I'd think ketchup would etch, too, being tomato-based. Etching, though, seems not to bother most marble owners, myself included. You can only see it in certain lights, and it's a part of the patina of the living stone.

As far as staining, my counters are sealed with Porous Plus 511, and could easily handle ketchup sitting on them for awhile with no stains. I've had coffee droplets that splashed from the Keurig sit overnight and just wipe up the next morning.

I have no stains at all. The counter have only been in for about 2 months or a little less, but I've cooked a lot in these months, have had house guests and hosted Easter at the house, no stains!

That said, the Vermont Danby marbles are known for being less porous--and therefore a bit more stain-resistant--than many other marbles.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Red--ketchup etched, but didn't stain my unsealed Carrara sample. Ketchup hasn't touched the surface of my installed and sealed marble yet. With warmer weather ahead bringing grilled hot dog meals, that could change.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I had to google images of etching, because I guess I reall didn't understand what it was.

Is it really as bad as the picture in the link?

I though of etching as a little scratching not white spots.

Can you guys post real life pictures of your etching to see if these are spots that would bother those of us considering marble?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

This discussion shows several pics
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1122392627438.html?57

Here is a link that might be useful: marble thread

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

FWIW, this is one of my more obvious etches (it's barely visible as a white splotchy mark in the center of the photo). It's on the island. My kitchen is very sunny and the sun shines directly on the island, highlighting this etch.

Even so, it's hard to see, especially in pics, and the overall beauty of the marble far outweighs these etches, for sure!

• cecilB
    11 years ago

After looking around here for some marble discussions, I posted something looking for feedback on marble countertops...and then I found this post. Perfect!
    I also have a large family - 11 kids! I do a lot of baking, besides the everyday cooking and "food providing" - anyway, we're getting ready to start our first and, I hope, only, kitchen remodel.On the island I want just one solid marble slab! And I also want the island to be portable, so we can move it out of the way, you know, for dancing and stuff. Ha ha. The only thing "kitchen people" ever say to me is, "you don't want marble, it stains" - but after reading all these posts I am relieved to know that my choice is excellent!
    THANKS!

Cecelia

• salbwil
    11 years ago

Can someone please tell me where to purchase Danby marble in New England ?
    I'm having a difficult time finding it.
    Thanks,
    salbwil

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago
  • susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Now I understand why people fall in love with Marble. I order 2 free samples of the Imperial Danby Marble and I just love the way it looks! The gray and goldish brown veining goes well with my tiles and the tile is more white that the too gray Carerra that did not look that good with my porcelain tiles. I put ketchup on it and it came right off without staining it. I did not test it for sitting on the counter awhile since I usually wipe spills up right away.

I still would like a sample of Taj Mahal Quartzite.

I ordered samples of Ceasrstone look alikes but they are out of the newer ones I really wanted to see and the others I had to pay for the shipping and they are still not here.