Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle00_gw

Finished Pictures! Old Farmhouse Kitchen

danielle00
15 years ago

I think it's a given that we are only about 98% finished.. a few odds and ends to do.

We bought an old farmhouse in '08. It was in great shape, but the kitchen was not very efficient. We removed a chimney, shifted a door, raised the windows and ended up with a ton more space. We wanted it to look like it belonged in the house-- Crown Point really helped us achieve the look we were going for.

Here are the details... let me know if I forgot something:

Cabinets: Crown Point frameless, old cupboard door, quartersawn oak perimeter w/ candlelight stain; island inset w/ slate blue milk paint

Counters: Green Mountain Original soapstone perimeter; Carrara island

Floor: Pine rescued from under two layers of vinyl & glue

Appliances: BlueStar range, Jenn-Air refrigerator, Bosch DW, Electrolux Icon wall oven; Prestige hood.

Sink: Ticor

Faucet: Kindred

Lights: Schoolhouse electric

Wall Color: BM Philadephia Cream at 75% intensity

BEFORE:

AFTER:

eating area adjacent to kitchen (not renovated, but we painted and got rid of some shelving) Hate to use the Boos Butcher block as a microwave table, but I had no place for it in the new kitchen.

Comments (65)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! I can really appreciate the way you altered the color scheme and footprint. What with the warm wood floors and cabs, it's now a more embracing space while at the same time, the whole room is considerably more open and airy. Love those CP cabs! Countertops are gorgeous! Congratulations!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful transformation. I love the qs oak, marble and soapstone. If mine is as nice as yours, I will be happy! The windows really open the room and the light coming in is so nice.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Danielle, it turned out absolutely fabulous and I am so happy for you. Some of the things you stressed about the most-- the wall color, the island color, and the soffits, for example, turned into great elements. You could not have made better choices with your cabs and counters. I know some fab cooking is going to be happening in this space. And as others have said, it looks so well with the house.

I really think you've shown grace under pressure during this project. After losing a cab deposit, a lot of people would have licked their wounds for a few weeks rather than devote their energy to seeing their project to completion. Also, here you are posting finished kitchen pics when the inlaws arrive in hours. I bet you cooked dinner tonight, too, on that Bluestar. Lady, you get stuff done!

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Wow, what a HUGE and BEAUTIFUL kitchen! I kept having to scroll up and then down with the before and after photos - the sink portion of the kitchen is not recognizable.

Does your island have drawers?

• melanie1422
    15 years ago

The cabinets are beautiful, but I just can't get over the floor! I am currently living with unfinished old pine that is only half-uncovered from the decades of glue and lino, and I can only hope and pray it turns out half as nice as yours! I do have one strip in the middle that I'm going to try to patch (we'll see... I hope I can fix it), but your floor gives me hope! Do you know how old it is?

Your kitchen is absolutely perfect. I just can't get over it.

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks!

morton5,
    I have one functional BlueStar burner-- apparently it was rigged for propane and I'm on natural gas. My appliance vendor has been really responsive, BlueStar has been excellent, and the service center here has been great too (I had a visit the day after it was installed; parts were sent overnight; and I have a follow-up appt. early next week). And you're right.. the deposit loss was horrible, but there is no way we could have gotten anything remotely close to our finished product if we had stuck with the other cabinet people.... so, in a way it worked out for the best (but, I'm still hoping to see some of that money!)

melanie 1422,
    we aren't exactly how sure the house is or how sure the floor is. We do know that the house was built around 1880 (hence some random numbers when I reference the age of my house-- I normally just write "old"). We know that the kitchen was a later addition (first part of the 20th c). My floor guy thought the floors could have been from them... the ones in the front room certainly look that old (odd insect damage, weird patches, etc). We were surprised we did not encounter more oddities and problems in the kitchen. I'll try to take some pictures of the holes and The Hole later... we also have a lot of rotten boards under our baking center (out of sight, out of mind, right?)

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

OMG Danielle! It's To Die For! I want to lie down on your soapstone counters LOL! Have you oiled them a few times already?

How did you go about picking that shade of blue for the island? I absolutely love it, and I know how tricky the blue colors can be. Our guest bedroom is painted blue, and it took me weeks to pick the right shade after agonizing over so many blue colors that I was going out of my mind (I love the one I eventually picked tho). Did you also agonize over several blue shades, or, with your unerring eye, just make a beeline to that perfect one without hesitation?

And give a big hooray to Crown Point. What a fabulous job.

• minette99
    15 years ago

Beautiful! It's open and calm. And warm! The quiet open feel really lets all of the things stand out on their own... oven, lighting, soapstone, island, cabinets... beautiful! It looks so peaceful. :)

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

chloe_s_mom,
    we have 6 drawers and one ugly outlet on our island.

shannonplus2,
    i've oiled them several times w/ mineral oil. today my shipment of oil/wax arrived (someone on here had recommended it). I LOVE the soapstone.

The blue choice was easy-- Crown Point sent us some samples.. three were blue... 2/3 were way too dark. Hence the slate blue.

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

Wow!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful kitchen for an old house! Now I have soapstone envy.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Danielle!!! Oh my goodness it turned out soooo beautiful!! I love the lack of wall cabinets, your floor, your soapstone, your hutch, and of course your yummy Slate Blue milk paint island!! You know I love inset cabinets but those frameless cabinets are beauties!!

A few questions: How high is your ceiling? Are you still planning to do some open shelving on your window wall? How long are the stems on the pendants over your sink? Are you doing a backsplash at all? When's the family coming over from Italy?

Congratulations on your gorgeous new space!

Erika

• kitchenredo2
    15 years ago

Wow - amazing! The cabinets and the soapstone are gorgeous. I'm having major, major soapstone envy.... The floors add such character to the room. It is just perfect.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Ooh, it is absolutely fabulous! I cannot believe you are already posting your finished pictures! (Do you detect envy? You would be right! ;^) ) I love the whole richness of it. Your floors, that incredibly yummy soapstone--everything is FABU!

Enjoy your wonderful new space! Congrats!

BTW, your wall color is perfect!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Danielle - your kitchen is beautiful! I love every bit of it! You must be so happy! I'm adding this to my inspiration folder!

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Erika,
    The inlaws come TOMORROW (saturday). We finished just in time. My GC really delivered (as did the countertop guy who worked last weekend to get them installed on Tuesday).

Our ceiling is standard hight (give or take a few inches. We might put some open shelving or a plate rack on the window wall at some point. My island is empty, though, and we've already loaded up the kitchen. We don't need the space, but I do like the convenience of a shelf near the range to keep things like oil, salt, etc.

lyno,
    after some of the kitchens that have been posted here lately, i'm flattered you'd add ours to your inspiration file. i do have to say that w/o this site for inspiration, advice, and support (especially when we had our setback w/ the original order), our kitchen would not have turned out as well. I'm sure everyone who participates here would agree that the advice here is invaluable.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

Oh danielle! What can I say. Your soapstone your cabinets your milk paint and that scrumptious find of a floor my head is spinning I don't know what I like best. I guess I love them all. Great Job!

• krissd
    15 years ago

Danielle- I've been waiting for this kitchen to post. It's beautiful. I love the soapstone, blue island, inset hutch, lighting and paint. Your cabinets are really beautiful. That floor took my breath away. Love the arch also. Great job. Thanks for sharing! Kris

• lesmis
    15 years ago

Danielle, I was so excited to see this post was from you and that it had pictures of your finished kitchen!!

I love the quartersawn oak cabinets and of course the much debated blue island that is just perfect! And look at you all organized and with everything right in it's proper place!

It's all just lovely and so in keeping with the age and style of your home. It is one of those timeless kitchens that everyone will walk into and instantly feel at home! Great job!

Enjoy every minute of cooking for your in-laws (I call mine the out-laws! ;) ) in your beautiful new kitchen!

Kat :)

• chachashea
    15 years ago

Well done! It looks fabulous, warm and inviting. Enjoy your lovely kitchen and your in-laws visit.

• trudymom
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen. I love how the hardwood floor go so well with the stain in the cabinets. Love your off-white ceramic holder by your stove. Do you remember where you purchased it? Thank you for sharing!

• boxerpups
    15 years ago

Wow, such a lovely Country Kitchen.
    The wood floors are so inviting and seem to make the room
    expand. The soapstone counters add a sense of purpose
    yet elegance to the room. I like you two pendants above
    the sink area.

Enjoy the treasure you created.
    Thanks for giving us all ideas.

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

trudymom,
    my dad showed up yesterday with the ceramic holder. it's an antique crock he picked up at an estate sale a long time ago. in a former life he dealt art and antiques, so he supplies us with most of our art too. I'll have to tell him you noticed it.

kat,
    laughing about the 'outlaws' comment.

boxerpups,
    that was so sweet-- thank you!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the blue island w/marble, the floors, the CP cabinetry and the open window wall. Very fitting for your period home :)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I really admire the classic simplicity of all the elements (each compliments the other so perfectly). While the kitchen has some very contemporary elements the spareness of the design and materials seem like a perfect fit in an "old" farmhouse. I can't believe it got done so quickly, no matter how great the visitors a 1\2 done kitchen would have defintely been a strain. Congratulations.

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

Danielle it's beautiful! I'm lusting after your range...my bluestar is on order and it's one of the things I'm the most excited about. ;-) I love your soapstone and the floors are to die for - so lucky you had them! The blue island, cabinets, lighting (I'm also going with schoolhouse electric) is perfect for a farmhouse kitchen.

I noticed the crock, too - I have two 2 gallon crocks next to my stove now - one for metal utensils, one for wooden. I'll be doing the same thing in my "new" kitchen.

Congratulations! I came in late and just recently learned of the hell you went through - you deserved this beautiful kitchen. :-)

• positano
    15 years ago

Wow!! I'm truly amazed at how fast you put this all together. It's amazing,love the soapstone and marble and the blue island is perfect.

That wall with the fridge and the ovens looks so great. That's a kitchen to hang out in. Enjoy your family visit!!

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

Stunning! It's just amazing how fabulous it turned out - in such a short time too! The cabinets are so beautiful! You made the best decisions possible. Somehow it turned out unique, practical, and period appropriate all at the same time.

I'm trying not to be envious, but it's very hard, especially since my kitchen is still not finished!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Danielle,

I too am impressed at how quickly this has all come together! Love the blue island with the marble top. Your cabinet, floor and counter are very similar colouring to mine, so of course I approve! :>)

You obviously don't use your MW as much as we do (probably our most-used appliance- that and the toaster oven!) I'd be finding a place for it in the kitchen ASAP- I would probably put it somewhere between the stove and the sink...

Hope the in-laws are just as wowed as the rest of us are! :>)

• plllog
    15 years ago

Absolutely fantastic! It's great seeing it all come together.

I love the way the baking area, with its different depths and finishes breaks up the high wall.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Is it just me or has your remodel happened almost overnight? I'm still puttering around with backsplash and pendant lights and you are done!! Great job. I love your quartersawn oak cabinets with the soapstone. Beautiful!

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Now THAT is one huge improvement and a grand achievement! Congrats on a job well done. Love the soapstone, the cabs and wowee!! those floors!!!

Now, get cookin'!

• lovlilynne
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen too. I know you've answered a lot of questions already, but do you think you could post your specs?

Cabinets:
    Countertops:
    Floor:
    Range:
    Hood:
    Oven:
    Dishwasher:
    Refrigerator:
    Lighting:
    Undercabinet Lighting:
    Sink:
    Faucet:
    Hardware:
    Paint: Walls:
    Trim:
    Island:
    Special features:

I love your cabinets and hardware, and would love to know what you used.

TIA,

Lynne

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lynne,
    Crown Point installed the hardware. I am not sure where they get it-- I think someone on here mentioned the source once, but I'm not sure.

Our trim paint was what the contractor had in his truck. The other details are in my original post.. thanks for the feedback & good luck with your project.

pluckymama,
    we really moved fast-- the inlaws imminent arrival helped speed things along. they just got in today and we enjoyed clam chowder, rustic bread, & beer! so glad it's finished.

yesdear,
    thanks for the compliment. your kitchen is one of my all-time favorites, so that means a lot coming from you.

• lovlilynne
    15 years ago

Er, duh - sorry I missed that (skipped right to the pictures I guess - but doesn't explain why I missed it when I double checked before posting!)

Lynne

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynne,
    no problem-- I do that quite a bit too.

• nats-md
    15 years ago

I LOVE the CP oak w/candlelight stain. We almost went w/that for a contrasting island, andI think it works greatin your kitchen. I also love the countertops -- and the blue island is a fun, but still historic looking, addition. All around really classic kitchen.

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yours was great too, nats-md-- I had originally wanted inset, but CP does a fantastic job w/ the frameless.

• User
    15 years ago

Ah danielle...it looks wonderful. I am SO glad that it all came right for you and in perfect timing too. You have a beautiful space. The details are perfect and the soapstone is truly lovely. I hope you have had a great weekend. c

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

I am also astonished at how quickly your kitchen came together. And it really is fantastic. The cabinets, especially, are gorgeous, and with the soapstone. . . sigh . . . they're perfection. I'm glad that everything worked out well for you.

• atd_oc
    15 years ago

YOur before and after are amazing! I think you have a future in kitchen design if you want it. You will surely enjoy entertaining in the perfect kitche~ Enjoy!

• busybme
    15 years ago

Man, stay away from GW for a couple of days and there are so many perfect kitchens posted!

Danielle, yours is absolutely charmingly lovely...like grandma should be canning preserves while grandpa comes in from the fields. You will have many happy family meals around that table, I know.

Congratulations! It's beautiful!

Sandy

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! It's been a joy to work in so far-- and, busybme, you're right-- it was a great weekend for kitchen reveals-- so many wonderful spaces to admire.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

I love it! I have been drooling over all the new kitchen posts and starting to second guess my choices, so I am SO happy to see your beautiful kitchen! We are doing quartersawn oak cabinets also, and probably soapstone (how could I not, after seeing it in so many wonderful kitchens!). I even have the same STEFAN chairs as you :-)

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Very nice-- warm, inviting, relaxing.

Such a nice change from the standard iceberg kitchen everyone is doing today...

• pebbles81
    15 years ago

what a transformation! it's beautiful!

I raelly like the blue island!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love the quartersawn oak and soapstone.

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist; it will help me categorize your kitchen details.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• Susied3
    15 years ago

Danielle, your transformation is fantastic! Your kitchen is very beautiful, and I DO remember seeing it soon after you posted your pics because when I saw that "Vein" next to your sink, my heart lept. It leapt again when seeing it this time!
    Did you plan it that way? It's awesome.

Will you and Eliz come transform my "modern house" into a farm house? :)

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Starpooh,
    You can put our kitchen in the FKB-- thanks!

Susied3,
    The vein was definitely premeditated. Thanks for noticing.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

Danielle,

This kitchen is amazing! I am getting very drawn to the Crown Point frameless as I am finding, like you, that the regular cabinet lines are just not period kitchen friendly. I think I saw in another thread that you said your CP cabinets are much better quality than Omega/Dynasty etc. I just looked at Omega tonight and several details on them depressed me. Now I don't know how I am going to do my "budget" kitchen if even what is supposed to be a decent line does not meet my vision. The problem is the period kitchen business - I am going to find it so hard to put in "modern" cabinets.

I looked at CP website and I am wondering what your drawer boxes are made from on the frameless - are they wood or are they metal? Are you happy with them?

I was thinking of a painted off white kitchen but yours is making me reconsider and if as you say the oak is more economical then maybe it would be an answer for my problem. I am quite drawn too to their "transitional" line as it looks cottagey cute in a period kind of way.

Congratulations on a WONDERFUL kitchen, one of the nicest I have seen on here.

• danielle00
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buffalotina

The drawer boxes are wood. In the frameless line they used to be metal, but they've recently gone to all wood. The drawers are the same construction as the framed.

Oak is more economical and we really, really love it. Easy to clean, beautiful, warm.

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!