Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Here is what templating looks like! (on yummy white granite)

firstmmo
14 years ago

Today we did the templating and planning of which pieces go with which slabs.

I had purchased 6 slabs of White Princess and had them shipped to my fabricator last October. They have stored them since then and now we are finally in the templating stage!

Yesterday the stoneworkers came and took very thin balsa wood strips and laid them out on top of my counters, matching the edges of each of the counters exactly. I had picked 2" square edging, so the cabinetmakers had planned for the plywood to be double-thick so to raise up the edge and allow for the thick look. The workers stapled the balsa templates together, marking right on the templates where the stove was, which edges were which, etc.

Then this morning I came out and they had all six slabs propped up for me to look at again. We first picked which one was the largest slab for the island (9' x 5'). We had two to choose from--I picked based on movement, coloring and what I had envisioned for the big island.

Then we moved on to the other slabs, picking out where the seams would be, how the movement would flow around the perimeter and matching up edges and colors in the granite. I will also have my backsplashes made from these slabs, so we had a lot of counter and backsplash areas to sort out. It was fun flipping the templates around, moving them from slab to slab and literally "puzzle piecing" the kitchen together.

They will hone the slabs then cut them, and delivery next week! Will post pics when we have counters!

Thanks to all the GWers who have helped with their advice! This has been so fun!

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

Comments (18)

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Oh it's de ja vu - I just went through this on Tuesday on yummy golden beaches granite. I didn't even think of taking pictures.

Fun, fun, fun!

• chipongo
    14 years ago

We got our granite at DaVinci too! I live in Redwood City. The White Princess is beautiful--your kitchen is going to be stunning!

• doonie
    14 years ago

It's going to be so darned gorgeous that I can't stand it! Hurray!!

• keptoz
    14 years ago

Gorgeous granite!!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Nice stone.
    Make sure you get your remnants back. Keep them in your garage and make them into end tables etc.

• joan2121
    14 years ago

I love it! I am doing a white kitchen also. I love your cabinets- can you tell me a little about them? Can't wait to see your finished project!

• rufinorox
    14 years ago

We had our template made today. I'm hoping to go to the yard before next saturday to do the same. If I don't make it, will it be ok to trust what the fabricator chooses for each space?

• firstmmo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Need some tips: I love Golden Beaches. It's such a beautiful warm granite. Too bad you didn't take pictures. I swear each time I see others' granite, I still have envy!
    Chipongo: Davinci is the only place that had the White Granite. I traveled far and wide, nealy a 3 hour circle to find a white granite I liked. When they got it in, I jumped on it and bought my slabs. Thanks for the encrouaging message!
    Doonie and Keptoz: Thank you! I too can't wait to see the finished product. I loved so many of the different kitchens that I have seen and can't wait to finally have my own to post.
    Pharaoh: Good idea about the remnants--I might need those!
    Joan: These cabinets are by Precision Cabinets in California and they have been amazing! They did all my cabs for a very reasonable cost and they are literally perfect! The color is matched to BM Simple White. The company calls the color Swiss Coffee. They are the creamier version that they sell.
    Rufi: I took many many suggestions from the fabricators while we were there. They have a better eye for flow, color matching, etc. It's funny that they "see" things that we don't. I based my decision on overall color and movement, but they made suggestions based on flow BETWEEN slabs and seams. They saw much more from slab to slab, matching things. I do totally trust their eye.

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

I don't have granite & had no idea how the templating process actually worked; thanks for the enlightenment! Your slabs are beautiful & I'm looking forward to seeing them after the installation.

• sandraldoss
    14 years ago

White is safe, like uba tuba black, got any imagination??

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Firsthouse, this has certainly been an exciting week for you! Glad everything is coming together so beautifully! All your hard work, planning and vision is paying off :-)

I can hardly wait to see them installed!

(P.S. ignoring the above comment which she couldn't possibly have meant...too bizarre...suggest we all not react)

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Wow that's beautiful granite. I've never heard of White Princess before, and it's stunning. Congratulations on your choice, and how lucky you were to find those slabs. I am wondering--do you know how stain-resistant White Princess is? Have your fabricators said whether you'll have to seal it or not?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

That's just beautiful stone! I'm so envious.... I was looking for a white granite just like that! one of the suppliers I went to (three states away, even, I was on a HUNT!) had a tiny sample, but no slabs and no idea when they'd get any. I looked everywhere! I ended up with Carrara Marble, which I love, but your granite is exactly what I'd originally envisioned. Can't wait to see the finished product! Are your backsplashes slabs as well?

Interesting templating. That is what my husband does in boatbuilding (and has done here when cutting cabinetry parts to fit wonky old-house walls, like the cover panel for teh refrigerator!) But our counter installers used a computer program: they took digital photos with special labels affixed to the counter area, and used a program to lay it out.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I've been wondering how they did that templating since I read the first post about it. Thanks for the pictures.

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

Yummy! It looks lovely. Firsthouse, your kitchen (even unfinished) looks just as lovely! I can't wait to see the finished pix and I am digging up old threads to catch up with your floorplan (I have been off and on on forum lately due to work commitments so have missed quite a few really great threads).

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

So pretty --- your kitchen looks gorgeous, can't wait to see the final pics!

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

LOVE the stone!!!!!! LOVE IT!
    I wanted to do Carrera marble in my bathroom but I love the durability of granite and this is a beautiful alternative. Thank you for sharing!
    Can't wait to see your kitchen as it progresses!

• lala girl
    14 years ago

White princess is definitely my top choice right now but am not sure if I will be able to get my hands on it - I cannot wait to see your installed - Congrats!!

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities