Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

GC wants kitchen wall colors!!

a2gemini
12 years ago

Hi all

I haven't even figured out pulls or backsplash and GC wants wall colors so he can paint before putting up the cabinets. Wasn't planning on colors as I am still figuring out other kitchen items!!

I know we have lots of talented color gurus on GW, so reaching out one more time.

Cabinets - Brookhaven Autumn Cherry with black glaze

Countertop - Cambria Buckingham

Floor - Oak - variable colors with dark streaks

Overall - warm color scheme

{{!gwi}}

For my last color project, I ended up with 32 paint samples and painted the old garage into a checkerboard - so hoping to avoid that this time. Hoping to do better this time! Please don't laugh too hard - but the neighbors had fun voting on my outside colors (and I didn't use any from the garage). I ended up mixing up my own concoction which did come out great! Including 2 picturs of the outside of the house only to show my "overthinking" and lack of any color concepts!!

{{!gwi}}

When I started on the outside of the house - I said no white trim and no white garage doors - but ended up doing both! I realized white was OK if enough contrast - so here is my Thunderstone house!

Thanks!

Comments (18)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

What are you looking for? A gold like BM Shelburne Buff?
    {{!gwi}}

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have BM, SW, and Pittsburgh wheels - I think I want a warm rich color but not too dark. I currently have oak stained window frames and plan to paint them (I think)
    I will look up BM SB.
    Thanks for a start!

• oldbat2be
    12 years ago

Paint later. We went through the same thing, but painting after... is not a pain. (Nice to do earlier, but there was no way I could pick the paint without everything else in place). Best, oldbat2be

• christine40
    12 years ago

well, if you don't know yet, then he can't paint yet. period. You are paying the bill, and you shouldn't be rushed into the decision. I don't really see the big deal. Less cutting in without the cabs, but really, it's paint. People paint their kitchens all the time.

You really need all your elements in before you decide. I thought I wanted an olive green type color..in my minds eye (which is obviously blind), my granite had some green in it, so did my cabs, so did me BS.....I love green kitchens. So after everything was up, I bought my sample color...so wrong, on so many levels I can't even begin to tell you.....after 2 weeks, 6 samples, and several ID consults, I ended up with a grey-brown (BM Stardust, started with BM dried basil)...these 2 colors couldn't be more different.

Please don't be rushed! You are the customer and the customer is always right!

• fouramblues
    12 years ago

Sorry, you're way ahead of me, a2! DH and I are doing the painting, so will wait until everything is up. I imagine going with a greyish tone to pick up the greys in the Buckingham, but there are so many tones you could emphasize in that quartz. I can't tell which direction you might go with the paint. Sorry to be no help here!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

3 for waiting - sounds like a good plan to me.
    SIL has an eye for color, so sending her the link to help out!
    Four- How does the the grey tone look with the cherry? Keep in touch on your color choices!
    Thanks

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Gray is a "cool"color and I think you wanted warm colors....I would pull one of the beautiful colors from your Cambria...not too dark to contrast with your cabs...

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks joannie - I failed color 101 but when I figure it out, I will know it is right - and in the grand scheme - painting is the easiest to change.

I know others have better color eyes than I do, so taking advantage of the opportunity.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I vote for waiting until everything else is in. I think a warm gray would be a great foil for all your warm rich colors.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

We hired a painter to do our kitchen. We thought he would want to paint before the cabinets were installed. He painted the ceiling before the cabinets were in but would not consider doing the walls until the cabinets and counter top were installed. He felt it was best to have all the elements in place before considering colors. We ended up going with a totally different color than I was originally thinking of.
    I think you should just tell your GC you need to see how the cabinets and counters look first. You are the one paying for the job so it should be your choicce as to when it gets painted.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks badger and linelle - I think you are right on! I always feel I am one step behind cause it takes me so long to figure out what is right!
    Once figured out - I am usually set for a long time.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

IF and that's a big IF, you want to do a warm gray, then (I feel like a broken record recommending this color swatch) look at the colors on the strip with 1466. There is Baltic Gray, Smoke Embers, Nimbus, etc. They are grays that lean towards the browns. I used these colors in my old :*( house a lot and never had the cold feeling gray can give.

I do see a gray in your coutertop, so see if any of those will work.

And yes, it's not that hard to paint the walls around the cabinets, so wait and see it all in place first. Same with the backsplash...wait. You need to get the overall vibe.

And I think we are sisters from a different mister.....I had about 30-40 samples of gray paint in a basket when we moved. It's the "sample basket". But funny, every time I would go to paint....back to that same strip. It just worked for me. I'm going with Smoke Embers in the new house. Hope I like it.

Bee

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd put up one coat of paint to see how you like a particular color with your materials. If it is a winner, then go ahead and paint before the cabs. If you have doubts, then stop and wait until it is all in. That plan works best if you use an Aura type paint because one coat really shows you the color fairly well and you will only need one more coat if you like it. If you do change colors, it will work as a base since you probably won't go very different with a new color.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

Yeah, you can certainly repaint later but as long as the GC is doing it, you might as well try to figure out a color that could work in the long run. It will save you time and energy that way.

To that end, do you have any idea what way you are leaning? Your granite is busy (but beautiful) so you might not need any real color on the walls. I would do a warm neutral. There are warm greys - BM Plymouth Rock is AMAZING! We just put it in our keeping room and I love it. I was at a friend's house last night and asked her the color of her kitchen walls and what do you know, it was Plymouth Rock. It's a great taupe-ish color. It might not be warm enough for your other selections though. Get a swatch and compare. (I'd post pictures but there is nothing in that room yet.)

We also just did the guest room BM Pashima and it's another light(er) warm grey.

On the warmer side of things, Restoration Hardware has a beautiful tan color that we've used a lot - Latte. It goes well just about anywhere. (On their website it looks more yellow than it is IRL. Cappuccino and Flax look pretty too but I don't have personal experience with them.)

However, grey has taken over as the new neutral so you might want to consider the other two first.

• Bunny
    12 years ago

With your warm creme brulee colors, I think gray would be awesome!

• cakelly1226
    12 years ago

I would let them paint. We did that and although I may end up changing it later, it was included so why not. I think I might even keep the color I picked-
    BM Shaker Beige. My colors are very similar to yours and it looks great. It is a straight-forward beige- no pink or green in it. I am leaning towards a more greyish color too but honestly did a "greige" in my bathroom with all warm brown tones and I am not really a fan of it. Just seems to clash somehow even though I have white and black in the room and it should work.

• babs711
    12 years ago

There are many many who have to do things "backwards" because of a build or whatever. If that's the case, have as many elements as you can and go from there. I think you have lots of things together so that you can safely get somewhere with your paint.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bee - yes, we must be sisters or just overthinkers, although you are much more talented at the kitchen remodel than I am! Maybe the "genetics" will rub off on me. Someday we might meet. BTW - how did you snag a backsplash in a contest. As you can imagine, I have not decided on a backsplash either. Maybe we could offer a paint sample swap to get rid of our extras. Any takers? I will check out the colors. I have the 2 different BM, SW, and one Pittsburgh paint wheels - so lots to choose from. I am thinking a warm gray might be the ticket. Thanks!

Dianalo - maybe a good idea - since we will have new drywall in many locations, a little protection might be good.

Linelle - thanks! I hadn't thought of the creme brule option, so think I will order one Friday night at dinner and as I savor the flavor(that is pretty bad), maybe the color will pop!

NewSouthern and CKGM - Will check out those colors also! Thanks - yup, let the GC paint as we have a cathedral ceiling in the sun room and I am not climbing up to paint it!!

Babs - thanks for the support!

Also, I found this awesome website that has zillions of finished kitchens this morning - it was posted on another kitchen post, but I didn't copy/paste it before starting and too much to lose.