Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
i_m_fletcher

Finished Kitchen (+1 Year)- White / Marble / Mahogany / Soapstone

i_m_fletcher
12 years ago

Hi Everyone-

Some of you might recall me, I posted my almost finished kitchen about a year ago. We recently had some new photos taken when our architect hired a pro for the day for a shoot. I figured I'd pay everyone a visit and share the new photos since my old ones were incomplete. The old thread is to old to be revived, so I'll try to repost the old original post below my new one for context as well. Hope you enjoy!

As I posted in my original thread, thank you to everyone who has posted here - your amazing example kitchens as well as your willingness to answer any questions was THE source for our ideas.

Money Shot:

{{gwi:1732210}}

Kitchen Island:

{{gwi:1753375}}

Sink View:

{{gwi:1753377}}

Rangetop:

{{gwi:1753379}}

Fridge / Pantry:

{{gwi:1753381}}

Fridge / Pantry Revealed:

{{gwi:1753383}}

Bar Area:

{{gwi:1753385}}

Pantry / Freezer:

{{gwi:1753387}}

Layout:

{{gwi:1753388}}

Kitchen Design Summary:

• Cabinets: Painted Maple built by local cabinet maker - local is a suburb southwest of Boston. Inset doors, self closing drawers. The finish is a sprayed on pre-cat lacquer that is tinted to match the BM Ivory White color.

• Cabinet Options: Includes pull out trash drawer wtih two cans to the right of sink. "Magic Corner" pullout in corner of L perimeter cabinets. Wicker baskets underneath microwave for fruit / vegetable storage. Vertical dividers in cabinet above oven. Spice drawer insert in top left island drawer. Knife drawer insert in top drawer to the left of rangetop. Dish drawer inserts (pegboard with adjustable plate holding pegs) in island drawers. Utensil and gadget dividers in misc drawers. Specialized rack on dry good cabinet that allows for storage on dor but puts weight in cabinet carcass.

• Colors: Walls are Ben Moore Pittsfield Buff (HC-24) and the trim and cabinets are Ben Moore Ivory White (925).

• Countertops: 3cm Calacatta Ruggine on perimeter, 5cm Utile Mahogany (edge grain butcher block) for island, 3cm Minas soapstone for pantry. Slab backsplash on perimeter is 2cm Calacatta Ruggine and slab backsplash for pantry is 2cm Minas soapstone.

• Hardware: Mix of Restoration Hardware including Gillmore cup pulls (4in), Gillmore Knobs, Traditional Clear Glass Knobs and Bistro Pulls (8in and 6in). All hardware is polished nickel.

• Lighting: Pendants are RH Clemson pendants in 14" size. General recessed lights are Cree CR6 LED lights. Oversink recessed lights are Cree LR4 LED lights. Undercabinet lights are xenon dimable light bars. In cabinet lights are xenon puck lights. all lights are dimmable.

• Floor: Rift sawn white oak stained to match existing floor (seen in family room pictures.) Floor has radient heating underneath, hence the need for rift sawn.

• Bar Stools: Pier One Mason Bar Stool in chocolate.

• Rangetop: Wolf 48" gas open burner with grill and griddle. Model #RT484CG

• Ventilation: Wolf 48" Pro Range insert in custom wood enclosure. Model #462212. Fan is 1200 cfm remote blower located on far side of garage (~20 ft connected by 10" duct.) Model #801642.

• Ovens: Wolf E series double oven - convection on top, regular on bottom. Model #DO302FSTH

• Dishwasher: Miele Optima II mounted to the right of the sink. Model #G2472SCVi

• Fridge: Subzero 27" Integrated Fridge only - located on sink wall next to paired wall cabinet for dry good storage behind island. Model #700TRLH.

• Pantry Fridge: Subzero 24" Undercounter Integrated Fridge located in pantry area on wall with freezer. Model #UC24R-LH.

• Freezer: Subzero 27" Integrated Freezer only - located in pantry area. Model #700TFIRH.

• Wine Cooler: Subzero Integrated full length wine fridge located in pantry area. Model #427GLH.

• Microwave: Sharp R530 countertop microwave installed in custom enclosure within island. Cubbie for microwave is ~26" x 21" high.

• Sink/Disposal: Franke Bowl and Half - model #PRX-120. Insinkerator Evolution Excell 1hp disposal. Bar sink is Franke KBX-110-13.

• Faucets: Main sink faucet is Rohl U.4702 in polished nickel. Bar sink faucet is Rohl U.4759 in polished nickel. Filtered water faucet is Rohl A1365 in polished nickel.

• Misc Appliances: Air Switch is Rohl polished nickel button with Insinkerator switch. Water filter is Watts Premiere UF3 from Costco.

• Backsplash: once installed the backsplash will be Ann Sacks Glace tiles in Ice. The tiles will be 1x6 sticks in a running bond pattern.

• Ceiling Speakers: 10" loudspeakers from Monoprice linked into Sonos wireless home music system (this system is amazing!)

I think that's everything... let me know if I've missed a feature someone wants to know more about. Hopefully this is useful for others that like me come here seeking input on designing their own space.

Comments (54)

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Here are some of the original photos I took back when it was first complete.
    Main View:
    {{gwi:1630038}}
    Looking Into Family Room:
    {{gwi:1590844}}
    From Bar Area:
    {{gwi:1590853}}
    Sink Details:
    {{gwi:1590854}}
    Island / Fridge:
    {{gwi:1590848}}
    Bar Area Details:
    {{gwi:1590850}}
    Adjoining Mudroom:
    {{gwi:2106532}}

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

Very pretty!

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the kinds words everyone!

BeeKeeperswife: thanks again for your kinds words. I remember you comments from before and more importantly learned a great deal directly from you during the process, so thanks for all your efforts! Having "real" photos of the project are great! We're keeping our fingers crossed as they are hoping to submit it for a few magazines - getting the shots published would be a real thrill!

michoumonster: While I shudder to think about how much we spent between the fridge / freezer / wine cooler / beverage fridge, I must admit it is wonderful having all the space. Just as important is having all the different spaces distributed in the right places for how we use the space. We haven't had a single problem outside of a loose compressor coil in the wine cooler that was fixed a week after install! The customer service has been great from Clarke (our SZ / Wolf distributor.)

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen...the windows are really special!

enjoy!

• jjdcl
    12 years ago

I love it! The windows are awesome!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

I want your house! :). It's beautiful!

• taggie
    12 years ago

Just lovely. Especially like the diagonal mullions in your glass cabinets. So pretty!

• terriermommy
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen!

We are considering carrara marble in our kitchen as well. Is sounds like it's a bit of work. What have you found to be the downside? Also, we will be adding radiant floor heat in our 1915 kitchen and prefer using reclaimed maple flooring over it too. Have you been happy with it? Our KD is trying to steer us towards tile but she says wood doesn't conduct heat as well? We would be installing onto current boiler system or low voltage electric. What's been your experience?

I'm interested in how the glass in your cabinets affixes to the back of the mullion? Caulk, glazed or something else?

Thanks in advance!

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

You have a beautifully done space! So open and inviting, too. There are too many details to pore over and gush about... I'm still taking in the gorgeous soapstone backsplash!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!! Enjoy your beautiful home! Thanks for sharing!

• dominos
    12 years ago

Love. Insanely Jealous. Gorgeous job. I WANT your space and layout. Hope you are really enjoying it.

I like many of your choices - the wood island top, mullions, window corner - but one little detail I really like is the rug. Any details on that or comments on what it is like having a "nicer" rug in your kitchen? I love that look but fear what my sloppy cooking and 3 children would do to a rug like that.

• carp123
    12 years ago

just breath taking! how's the marble treating ya?

• kitchenshoppe
    12 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful and warm kitchen! I love all aspects of it. Your island is gorgeous. How do like the wood mahogany top?

• Linda
    12 years ago

Wow! I want it!!!! Simply stunning. You are definitely going to be my "inspiration kitchen." How high are your ceilings?

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Hi imfletcher,

I loved seeing your kitchen with the first reveal last year
    and am enjoying viewing it just as much now with your gorgeous new photos.
    I'm sure these pictures are flying into the inspiration folders of GW members as we speak.

I like your walnut top island.
    Because there has been so much discussion on GW
    about walnut island finishes (oil vs waterlox vs osmo),
    I'm curious what you used to finish your island.

I also love your island edge profile.
    Is that a standard ogee edge? Or more squared off than the usual ogee?

Was it fun staging your kitchen for the photo shoot?
    Just curious what in your view was the most successful part of the staging.
    Do you have tips for others who want to document their kitchen in all its glory?

I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your beautiful kitchen.

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness, it is Gorgeous!! Straight out of a magazine!! LOVE it!!! May you enjoy your beautiful creation for countless years to come! :)

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

It's always fun to see photos of GWers' finished kitchens, and this one is particularly beautiful. You spent a lot of time on all the details, and it shows. Congratulations! Glad to hear you are enjoying your lovely space.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for coming back to share your gorgeous pictures.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful and those pictures really do it justice! Everything looks so wonderful and as much as I like the kitchen...your dining room is just lovely, too. Thanks for sharing :)

• modern_mom35
    12 years ago

gorgeous!! that marble on the backsplash is to die for...so jealous of your open burner Wolf! we have been trying to track one down..

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring, breath and speech takingly gorgeous. Love the detail behind your stove.

I was just writing on a thread about white walls, that I'm not usually into large expanses of white, but I do really admire creamy white cabs with white marble countertops, and I love the layering with the Buff walls. Your windows make the room.

• gobruno
    12 years ago

Beautiful! So bright and airy. I love your rug/runner. Do you mind sharing where you got it? We've considered getting a long runner in our kitchen but were concerned with it shifting and staying in place and also since it would be in the main thoroughfare, were concerned that it would get incredibly dirty. Does yours shift? What is your rug made of?

Thanks!

• zeebee
    12 years ago

What a stunning space. I'd live in that kitchen.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous...again! I remember seeing your original pics posted and loving it. Thanks for sharing them again.

I do have a quick question if you don't mind. We too have mahogany for our island top, and find it gets hairline scratches quite easily. Curious how yours has held up with heavy usage of kids eating at it. I am okay with it, but wonder if a different finish would have been better.

I am sure you still love walking into that kitchen every morning! Its gorgeous!

• kammererk
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen (and house)!! If mine comes out half as nice, I'll be thrilled. But I do have a couple of questions for you, as it appears we have some similar features/ideas.

First, my island will be 9x4 - I assume the difference is that I'll have 12" cabinets on the overhang side - after seeing your island, I'm curious as to whether we'll have enough leg room under our island - as yours is 6" deeper (due to the cabinets). Any thoughts on that?

Second, I'm trying to decide whether to do a wooden island top. I'm having a difficult time finding anyone locally willing to make one - it's kind of like when I go to the fabricators and they try to talk me out of marble - Did you have yours made locally? What finish is on it? After a year, do you have any regrets? It's so beauiful!

Third, I noticed your lavetory is the same size/layout of mine. Would you mind posting or sending pictures of what you did there? I'm trying to decide between a builtin cabinet with 3 drawers (to look like furniture) or something freestanding. I think I'm going to do a marble basketweave tile in there (the rest of the 1st floor is hardwood) Haven't even started thinking about the lighting/mirror in there yet.

Fourth, I chose the same lighting ( Cree CR6 LED lights) and undercabinet lights - but didn't go with the CR4 over sink area - they're on a dimmer - do you think that will be too much light?

Finally, can you share more about your music system? From what I read, sonos is a wireless system (I have a bose wireless sytem that is basically a portable speaker that streams wirelessly from a computer). But I like the idea of having installed speakers instead of lugging the Bose thing around where I want to listen to it.

Thank you in advance for your information/advice/suggestions. It's obvious you put much thought and research into your renovation and it shows!!

Let us know which magazine you end up in :)

• hopmom
    12 years ago

Just spectacular -- have saved to my inspiration folder. Can you tell me who the cabinet maker is? I am also in the Boston area.

• hsw_sc
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is one of my absolute favorites! So glad to see the backsplash now, too!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Breathtakingly beautiful! Truly a stunner! I think all the superlatives have been used, so I'll just add a Wowzers.

Congratulations--enjoy that big, gorgeous space!

• snaupal
    12 years ago

Love it!! Beautiful space - enjoy it!

I have a question about your mudroom. Our mudroom is right off of our kitchen as well and will have a similar built in bench/cubby area. How is the white finish holding up with all of the traffic and activity in the area? I'm debating between a white and chocolate finish.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous in every possible way! Wow!

• nhbaskets
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing the photos. Be sure to let us know when your kitchen appears in a magazine!

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Fabulous! Enjoy.

• willtv
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is fabulous!
    Frankly, I like the second set of photos better.

• ww340
    12 years ago

You have a really gorgeous kitchen! I am sure you are enjoying it.

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

I love, love, love your kitchen! It is truly exquisite. Divine really.

I have a curious question...how does your island top wear with your children? Are you very careful and cautious with it? Or...can it handle children and their messes well?

I have 2 messy young ones myself.

Thanks

Sheila

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

wonderful

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it. I know going through GW sometimes takes a little while.

bee

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you again to everyone for the very kind words! I've tried to answer every question in the entry below, please let me know if I've missed something - I'll be happy to answer. Also, as part of our prep, we prepared a 46 page .pdf file with sample images, cabinet ideas, materials lists, etc. I'm willing to share, just send me an email. It might take a little while to track it down on my PC - but I'm sure I can find it if anyone would find it useful. It is very specific to our vision - we prepared it for our contractor to ensure we were on the same page.

Glass Cabinet Mullions: The mullions are affixed by glazing and a frame on the back side. They are still quite tight after a year with no rattle.

Rug Behind Island: The rug is a Kazak. It matches the 11x14 we have in the adjoining family room. they are both made of wool and have handle the trails and tribulations presented by three little ones with ease so far. Neither are high-end carpets - we bought them at the "annual" Bloomingdales carpet sale (I use quotes since they seem to have this "annual" sale pretty often.) I've had to clean a few things out of it, but it's easy to vacuum and spot clean and we used some carpet tape on the runner so it doesn't move. I wouldn't hesitate recommending this to anyone else.

Island Top: The island top is made of Utile (or Sipo) Mahogany. It was built by the cabinet maker. The slab is 2 inches thick and weighs a ton! We requested it thick so we have the option to sand it down if it started to show it's age. We have no regrets, but the cabinet maker said next time he does an island top with this kind of material in this dimension, he's charging at least twice what he charged us (guess he had some regrets about the challenge of the materials as well as the cost...)

So far the thing has been bullet proof. With three kids eating three meals a day (plus snacks) as well as all of their arts and craft time on it, it still looks brand new. There is a ding where one of the youngest got a hold of a meat tenderizer, but I'm not faulting the wood for that one. At one point, someone was coloring with a sharpie (really, who gives a sharpie to a two year old?) - I scrubbed the heck out of the mark and got it off, and the finish shows no ill effects. There are a few minor scratches from people placing heavy items on the top and dragging them, but they seem to buff out with a periodic polishing (I let those build up until we're having a party.) I'm not sure what finish they used, I only recall that it was something new the cabin maker tried that has been used in Europe for awhile now. I asked for bullet-proof and it's close! The finish allows for some of the natural pores in the wood to show / feel - I think that helps hide any sort of scratches.

The edge on the island is a standard Ogee edge with an added squared edge on top - it looks great and that square edge really makes the overall top look "neater". However, it's a complete magnet for crud that is tough to get out of the 90 degree corner.

Island Overhang: We hang 15 inches of overhang - it feels like the right amount of space under there. I don't think I'd get much use out of much more (maybe a little more would be nice.) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want much less.

Marble Countertops: We have Calacatta Ruggine (I think that means rusty Calacatta - LOL!) marble, the slabs of Carrara we saw were to cold for our kitchen given our cabinet color choice. Much of what you've heard of marble is true - it etches regardless of how you've pre-treated it. However, we haven't had a single problem with staining despite not being careful (at all!) Wine left overnight doesn't leave a stain... however, lime juice left overnight leaves one heck of an etch! I have a polishing compound that makes etch marks look very faint in about five minutes, or completely gone if you want to put some elbow grease into it. When we selected our slabs, we worked with a small distributor that travels to Italy to select his own slabs (sounds way more expensive than it was) and he had an interesting way of looking at the marble vs. granite decision that has stuck with me. Forgive me for being a little off-color here, this is him speaking not me... he compared stone counter tops to breasts: "the marble counter top is like a real breast while the granite is like silicon... they are both great when young, but marble will age with the kitchen while the granite still looks brand new while everything around it ages, making it look out of place the more the rest of your space ages." Obviously, as a marble salesman he's biased (not to mention completely un-PC!) but he makes a good point if you can get past the cruder elements of his analogy. Marble will age with the rest of your kitchen - you can take care to avoid unsightly stains and other damage, but it's not going to look like new after a few years. If that troubles you, marble probably isn't the best choice. Apologies for those offended by the quarry-man analogy above.

Lighting: I think the LR4 we have over our sink and the CR6 in the rest of the room put out about the same amount of light. I'm a big fan of strong task lighting when needed, we only turn on the sink lights when we're working over there - they are bright and useful. The main lights are frequently dimmed with the pendants being brighter than the others. I don't think the LR4 are worth the extra expense over the CR6 unless you like the look of having a smaller sized light in one area. If I was doing it over again, I'd save the money and go all CR6. I'd also be more careful about the dimmers the electricians use - many of ours cause flickering that is maddening. I'm gradually changing them all out for ones that work better with low voltage lights.

Sound system: They sell it on Amazon and there are tons of reviews there, so if you are interested, I'd recommend checking there. We have installed ceiling speakers in the kitchen, dining room and living room. When we want music in the family room, the Sonos links into our surround sound speakers. The system is zone based, with each zone requiring it's own base unit that contains a wireless networking "hub" along with an amplifier. Each zone automatically links to the other zones setting up it's own wireless network. You control everything through a small touch screen based device that is really simple to use. It connects to your internet connection as well as any PC in the house with your music collection. We use a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) that houses all of our music which can be streamed through the Sonos systems (as well as copies of all the kid's movies that can be played on TVs around the house - but that's a long story... I'll spare you the details unless you want them.)

Photo Tips: I didn't take the first series of shots, those were taken by a pro. I did take the holiday shots. I'm guessing you're asking about the pro's shots and sadly I don't have any advice on those since we weren't home when they took them. In general, I learned that a few isolated colors can really change the look of the room and that using elements that pickup colors already on the room (e.g. the wood display piece on the bar ties the pantry area to the island nicely. Also, turn up all your lights and shoot when the room is at it's brightest.

Ceilings: Our ceiling height is 8 feet. I think the light reflecting off the ceiling makes it look higher than it is.

Mudroom: The white paint is really BM Ivory - it has a yellow element to it that helps with the wear and tear. Still, while the vertical surfaces are holding up fine, the horizontal surfaces are starting to look a little rough around the edges after a year or so. We have the same issue in our family room where the lowest / widest shelf lining the entire wall of bookcases has started to show some wear after two years. Most of this is driven by our little one's need to drive cars across the surface despite our protests. I've basically given up and plan to put a touch-up coat on in a year or so. It's a lacquer, not latex - so that helps with the wear (but makes it a pain to find touch-up paint.) I'm not aware of a better option... let me know if there is one!

Powder Room: I don't have many pictures, but here are two that show the sink and floor details. We went with a console sink since the room is so small. We also went with a funky large pattern wallpaper that really helps with the room dimensions. Let me know if you have more questions!

Powder Room Wallpaper and Sink Corner:
    {{gwi:2106533}}

Powder Room Floor Detail:
    {{gwi:2106534}}

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavender_lass: I think we had a conversation last year about the pergola we were building in my backyard? Am I right? If so, once the spring comes, I'll be happy to share some shots of the backyard - we finally finished it last summer and are really happy with the way it came out!

hopmom: The cabinets were built by Rodgers Cabinets in Norwood, MA.

beekeeperswife: I received your email and will respond back soon (day or so.) Let me know if you don't get it! Thanks for reaching out.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I remember your gorgeous kitchen from when you posted a year ago! It's still very drool worthy. ;-)

Would you post a pic straight on of your cabs meeting your patio doors, please (to the left of the fridge/pantry)? I've got a somewhat similar set-up (although my kitchen is half the size) and I've been struggling with whether to butt the cabs up against the molding or to leave a little space. It would be helpful to see how you handled that situation because your kitchen is so well done. TIA!

• julcarr
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! I am just starting or should I say 6 months in the designing phase of a remodel. I have changed my mind so many times & very in decisive. I was sure I would go with a contemporary walnut slab cabinet. Changed my mind to white cabinets with the Calcutta marble with a wood island. It is really funny that I ran across your kitchen cause it has the x glass cabinets that I just decided on a few days ago and wood floors. I am meeting with the cabinet maker in a few days to go over the changes. After seeing your kitchen I am now sure I am making the right selections. I just voted for your kitchen, of course, it is the most stunning kitchen!!! Good luck!

• catkin
    12 years ago

Swoon.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I remember it from last year...and it still makes my heart go pitter-patter! So many lovely details! Your stone guy's marble/granite analogy made me lol!

• SugarCookies
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting all of the info on what was installed in your kitchen. I am seriously coveting those pendants! (and the rest of your kitchen too! ;)

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

I love the marble to breasts analogy. Totally OT but I recall watching some reality tv show (wife swap, perhaps) where one woman looked to be over 50 in every way (she was big on tanning) but her "countertops" were unnaturally high. I actually rewinded it and said to DH, "Look at her boobs - her implants must be helium filled!"

Being north of 40 myself I'd like to have more levity in that area, but not to that level.

Back on topic - gorgeous kitchen, I think the walnut island warms it up wonderfully!

• eleena
    12 years ago

I am with PPs about wanting to come live in your house, LOL!

Especially b/c you (almost) have my powder room as well.

Congrats on your amazing kitchen!

• winesnob
    12 years ago

This is truly a beautiful kitchen. You are special to take the time to post all your information. You did a wonderful job.

• emy315
    12 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! You did an amazing job. I do have one question regarding your bar stools. Are they bar height (30) or counter height (24)?

Thanks!

• i_m_fletcher
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Emy315,

Our stools are counter height. We bought them at pier one. Genuine fake leather! They are a temp solution until the kids are older- but they havent aged fracefully over the past year...

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Hi I_m_fletcher,
    Your kitchen is beautiful! May ask, what window company did you use? Andersen, Pella, Marvin?

Thanks!
    Chris