Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
festus47

Need help with granite layout

festus47
10 years ago

We are about done with our house but need some help with the granite. We have looked at several places but each one has a different layout as far as the seams go. One we liked was #1 in Rockford but two of their seams went through either side of the sink in the corners where the granite is the narrowest. I know this is probably the weakest point but it just doesn't look right to me. #2 has two of their seams as shown but don't know if that is the most practical or not. I realize there will also have to be a seam on the side where the cooktop is since most granite I have seen is no longer than nine feet. Any help would be appreciated from those who are more familier with granite or countertop layout. We are between the Quad Cities, Rockford, and Chicago so there are quite a few suppliers in this area.

Thanks
Jack

Comments (4)

• huango
    10 years ago

My layout is similar to yours, except mine was an L (I had a wall of appliance where you have your wall oven).

I will absolutely NOT have any seams near my sink, may it be through the middle, or the edge, wherever. I use my sink thousands of time w/ water/oil, meat blood, etc that I will not subject to a grout/seam line.

Also, the seam should be at least 10"+ from dishwasher (since there's not support there, and the constant release of heat/steam).

How short are your slabs that the seams from #2 is so short?

I would put 1 seam near your arrow by the range (where it 's labeled 8'3".
    2nd seam would be 10" to the LEFT of the dishwasher (DW is left of the sink, correct? hard to tell from this view)

see my thread.
    my 2 seams are to the Left of my Left DW, and Right of my Right DW.
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg122250008034.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Amanda's seams

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Jack:

If you're going to go with the pictured drop-in sink, it will obscure most of the seams at the sink.

While the Marble Institute of America doesn't recommend seams at dishwashers, I wouldn't worry about this either. Modern epoxy and acrylic adhesives aren't going to be bothered by occasional dishwasher steam. Your installers should make sure there is a cleat on the rear wall to support the stone.

Flat and level cabinets installed with non-compressive shims are one of the most important items to prevent seam failure.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

You don't mention what type of granite you'll be using. If it is something with a lot of movement (rather than something more uniform), then you might want to keep the seams as small as possible (which might suggest sticking with option #1). There are many threads here where people are unhappy with how obvious the seams are because the two pieces of stone look so different next to each other.
    I don't love your option #2 for that reason, seems like double the opportunity to end up with an obvious seamed area. But, if you're using a fairly uniform granite, that might not be an issue.
    I believe it is possible to add rodding to support a narrow piece like in your option #1, you could ask the fabricator about that.

• festus47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

huango
    I don't think the seam was near the dishwasher. I just put it there to designate it was not near the sink. One yard had slabs 9' long but I believe the other yard was shorter. One seam will go in the corner left of the cooktop but probably in line with the main counter which is 20' long.

One yard will let us look at all the slabs while the other yard was not really reluctant but she said all slabs were the same as they were cut out of the same block, and the first one we saw was sold. I would still like to see the ones we buy.

Trebruchet
    This is an older drawing and we are using an undermount sink.
    I believe the Marble Institute does show a way to attach the ends with the seams at the sink by using a steel washer as a biscuit to keep the ends alligned. I believe some fabricaters use sink seams to lessen the chance of damage during moving. I live 50-100 miles from installers.

Bethinnc
    We are using New Venetian Gold which doesn't appear to have as much movement as some.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations