Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdlacrow

Showplace cabinets

sdlacrow
16 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Showplace cabinets? This is the brand our kitchen designer is steering us toward. They also carry Omega/Dynasty cabinets. I am not sure what the price difference is between the two. We want a simple look--shaker style cabinets which is easy to find in almost any cabinet line. If anyone has good/bad experiences with either brand, your input would be appreciated.

Comments (26)

• bluekitobsessed
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My KD steered me toward them also. They're on order so I don't yet have any experience. I hear that they are very good quality. The website is also easy to use & informative.

• afr66
    16 years ago

I am probably going to go with this brand as it offered the best quality/price combination. I priced out this line along with Brookhaven and Omega (the semi-custom line) and the Showplace was about $5,000 less (all had similar flat panel door styles & finish options). Of course, that can vary depending on the markup charged by your retailer. One nice thing about Showplace is that glazing is free, if that is something that interests you.

• kompy
    15 years ago

I'm a kitchen designer and thinking of adding this line. When you get your kitchens in, please email me about your cabinets.

Also, did any of you compare them against KraftMaid, Medallion or Holiday? I would like to know what you thought of this brand in comparison.

• jenna_j
    15 years ago

We used Showplace. (They did price out a little less than Holiday-we didn't price out Kraftmaid or Medallion.) The cabinets are cherry with a truffle finish. We're happy with the product though our bathroom vanities are taking longer than they told they would. I'll try and post some pictures of our in progress kitchen. ~Jenna

• afr66
    15 years ago

I just ordered my cabinets and they should be coming in the next 5 weeks or so. I'll post some pics when they are in. Main reason I selected them was the cost compared to Omega/Brookhaven/Dura Supreme etc. - several thousand less for the same features (plywood boxes, dovetailed drawers, blumotion, solid fronts etc). Hope they are as nice as they looked in the showroom.

• awm03
    15 years ago

I've had mine for 4 1/2 years now. No problems whatsoever.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Jenna J - Any updated pictures of your kitchen? I am also getting Showplace Cherry with truffle stain, and would love to see what else you've. (Knobs/pullls, sink, countertop, backsplash, etc.) Thanks!

• kompy
    15 years ago

I would also like to hear more feedback on these cabinets. We are 95% sure we are going to add them to our line. I'm a KD. How was the quality control? Packaging? Finish? I also sell KraftMaid, Medallion and Holiday. Showplace priced out less than KM (in one kitchen comparison, so far). I haven't priced out anymore jobs with Showplace, but will soon. I will probably have to drop one of the other lines eventually. I don't want too many in the same price level. Will probably have to be Holiday.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

Kompy - I can tell you that in terms of my kitchen planning, Showplace cabinet line has provided quite a bit of flexibility in accomplishing what I wanted. I am very impressed with what they have to offer, and the finishes are beautiful. Free glazing to boot! My cousin put a Showplace kitchen in her home last December and it is beautiful. She price-compared to HomeDepot cabinets, and found that Showplace had better quality and more options for the same price. She recommended them to me and so far so good. They will be installed July 7th, and then I'll let you know what I think of their finished product.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Kompy, I had mine installed about 1 month ago and kitchen is now 95% done. So far the Showplace cabs look great. I don't have any complaints on quality or finish. Everything came on a truck from SD in big cardboard boxes. I think I heard a fellow GW'r complain about a lack of bubble wrap type packaging (on another cab co) but I can't say that it bothered me.

About my only complaint is that I can't contact the company directly. I'm having a cold war with my KD and would like to get touch up and stain stuff directly from Showplace when she's being difficult.

I can't compare it to any of the lines you mentioned, sorry. HTH.

• afr66
    15 years ago

I don't have my cabinets yet, but they are in at the warehouse (we'll pick up when our contractor is ready) and it only took about 4 weeks from ordering to shipping. I compared Showplace to other semi-custom lines and they were significantly cheaper (as I mentioned above). The free glazing was a plus as well. Also, I chose Maple but if you want cherry their upcharge for that was much less than the others I looked at (about 5%). We have an old, unsquare house, and these proved flexible enough for us.
    Can't speak to a comparison w/ Kraftmaid or other big box store brands as I didn't check those out.

• kompy
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I am excited about the line. My rep has high standards for what he reps (ie Plain & Fancy), so I am sure that we will love SP. In looking through the spec book, they have a lot of options. And the free glazing is brilliant. I'll post back later after I've had the line for awhile.
    Kompy

• alan501_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

We purchased Showplace Cabinets last year....bad choice. Product, installation, and service from dealer and company have been poor.

• diab123
    11 years ago

any others with recent showplace cabinets info?

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

I'm a dealer. I prefer to avoid commenting on this board about brands I sell beyond technical details. Because of some of what is written here I'm going to break that rule so take this with a grain of salt if you will. I'm not trying to promote anything (I don't do business from here as many of you know) just to set the record straight.
    My apologies if this bothers anyone. Not likely to occur again.

I've been selling them for about two years. It is my least expensive line, I am picky. I'm a small company and rely almost entirely on referrals for my work. I can't afford a brand with problems, had to drop two in the last three years. I've had very few problems with SWP (listed below). If I had the kind of issues some folks mention they would be gone.
    I have used them often for secondary rooms in hi end homes and otherwise as for more mainstream kitchens. I did do one hi end home entirely with it.
    FWIW I put them in my father's house and one of my own baths.

Problems-
    Had to have one inset door replaced for fit- it arrived in two weeks from order.
    I had one bath with color issues- sent in the sample chip of the color we expected, noted the issues. Had a replacement in 10 days. I couldn't ask for more than that.

On the plus side:
    -They arrive like clockwork, consistently- whoever had trouble with delivery was likely a dealer problem.
    -The customer support has been an a par with my hi end brands.
    -Fit and finish has been consistently good, better than average for the price. They've been square and solid, I've had several installers rave, none of whom work for me. One said they go in like butter, another who installs mostly Kraftmaid went on about how straight and square they are in comparison..
    --Matte or Satin finish available across the line at no charge.
    -Match any paint color though SW is the most reasonable.
    -Several nicer than the price specialty finishes.
    -Wide selection of colors, styles, wood species and glazes are free (don't like the glazes on paint but love the brushed vintage finishes there which aren't free
    -KCMA ESP certified

The line is very flexible allowing great design freedom (makes me happy anyway).

DOWNSIDES-
    -The backs are thinner than I'd like but the hanging rails (solidly installed 5/8 ply) make up for that.
    -I don't like the shelf clips- at all. I swap them out on every job. Plan on it.
    -You can get a matching veneer interior but you can't get a standard maple or birch interior.
    -As mentioned I'm not crazy about the glaze on paint but love the brushed vintage finish.

Construction:
    is pocket hole frames with struts dadoed front to back (same as Medallion, Kraftmaid, others)
    3/8 plywood sides (hardly unusual at the price but see upgrades below), melamine interior, blum glides, dovetail drawers, particle board shelves.
    The inset line comes with full subtops standard, something that is an upcharge in my next more expensive line. The tolerance on the insets has been very good. (see below)

Upgrades- 1/2" sides and plywood shelves are each inexpensive upgrades, as are soft close drawers. Flush finished sides when specked are 5/8"

Any dealer can and should give you specs. I make sure people know them and hand out the spec sheet as needed. I keep two mini bases on hand so folks can see the construction and decide for themselves.

I have been so pleased with the company it bothers me to see them get a bad rap. I have yet to meet a dealer who has been thrilled with them. They may be out there, just not my experience.
    My other 3 brands are all full custom.
    Again, my apologies if anyone is offended.

Edited this to add what I often say- who you get your cabinets from is likely more important than any particular brand.

This post was edited by jakuvall on Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 18:07

• diab123
    11 years ago

Jakuvall, cannot thank you enough for this amazingly thorough summary of Showplace cabinetry! Good info as we have narrowed down to Showplace or New River (a part of CWP).

Now, between those, Showplace and New River---is there much difference in quality? I have researched the main differences that show up on the company websites as to box construction, etc but am now more concerned about aesthetics. We are looking to put these in the kitchen of approx $500,000. suburban home---I just want to keep in a quality line that will work for us but also for resale. Thanks so much for any input! Gardenweb is a great resource in a confusing remodel world!

This post was edited by diab123 on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 0:12

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

diab123- either one will be better than a typical contractor would put in a new build. Either can be made to look great. If these are from different dealers which one will take better care of you?

New River/Embassy House upside
    -standard- 1/2" sides
    -veneer interior
    -doweled frame construction also with struts
    -1/4" back (and the shelf clips are good :)

Downsides-
    -Chinese plywood
    -Chinese drawer glides
    -inset does not have a full subtop
    -insets have large radius on edges making exposed hinges unavailable.
    -Finished sides are a sheet of 1/4" ply tacked on
    -Finish is a bit glossy for my taste, others will prefer it
    -Specialty finishes are not as nice IMO
    -No ESP certification

To compare pricing add to SWP -
    for 1/2" ends about $9.30 wall cab, $18 base.
    Ply shelves Per shelf- walls $13, base $27.
    New River will still have better backs and veneer interior, SWP will have better drawer glides and finished ends.

I only add half inch sides on 27" and over unless client really wants it. I don't bother with ply shelves except walls 36 and over and even then rarely. Did neither in dad's house.
    New River/Embassy House will typically cost more.

To an extent it comes down to what's important to you, and as always who you are dealing with. Can't, in good conscience, get into more than that.

• javiwa
    9 years ago

Jakuvall -- We're getting ready to sort through the many options SWP has to offer, and will happily start small: shelf clips. Can you please tell me what you don't like about them (i.e., downsides, functionally speaking), and what you replace them with? TIA!

• debshirl
    6 years ago

Hi. I had $24,000 worth of Showplace cabinets installed in my kitchen in 2005. So far they have been doing fine. The hinges and the drawer glides are working perfectly without a problem. When ordered there were many flawed doors but everyone of them was replaced. I have one door that has a gash and will replace that when I have my mudroom remodeled. Don't know much about the wooden box but none are warped or in need of replacement . At the time I purchased them they were the best value in a full wood constructed American made kitchen I would use them for my master bath but make sure the box is 1/2 inch plywood

• javiwa
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A long overdue update, but here goes: Showplace is touted as a value, semi-custom brand, but I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience. Pictures say it all. While my original post/inquiry yielded much criticism regarding the installation itself (so, this is on the cabinet dealer and not Showplace), SP's quality control is definitely lacking. Scroll down to see my update starting November 7; and 3:22 p.m. post for photos of where we are now. Even after being sent two sets of replacements, I still have over-sprayed cabinets (that resemble mildew...it's awful), and gapping and rough edges are scattered. I'm sure they'll function fine, but it's beyond disappointing.

I contacted Showplace once more in early January, but have received nothing more than an out-of-office reply.

ETA to add a few pics for quick reference.

The over-spraying of what (I think) is the Rockport Gray wash used on the maple:

Upper left edge of cabinet:

• hainest01
    6 years ago

Are these Showplace EVO cabinets?

• javiwa
    6 years ago

No, hainest01. Mine are the framed, partial overlay.

• fancyxx
    6 years ago
    We just ordered showplace Savannah beaded inset and love them
  • Lisa 902
    6 years ago

@javiwa, I'm curious what line you'll replace them with... I'm assuming you're dropping them?

• javiwa
    6 years ago

Lisa 902: The latest set of cabinets (pictured) are in, and the dealer has long been paid in full. I feel I'm at the end of the road with this, after what's been an exhausting process. The Showplace cabinets will remain, and I'm trying to move on with my life.