Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Opinion on kohler stages 33 as the only sink? Internal measureme

scrappy25
11 years ago

This question was posted in 2010 but there was no real answer given. Can the Stages 33 sink work as my only sink in a kitchen? My current overmount sink is 20.5 wide by 16" deep in a 24" cabinet and it works fine, even with a 7" wide, over sink drainer always over one side of it. I think it works fine because we use our dishwasher mostly and only hand wash the larger pots and pans. My largest roasting pan is 16 x 13 and I don't need to remove the drainer when I wash that. The only time I remove the drainer is to wash my oven racks (rarely ) since they are 21 x 16, but I usually scrub those by holding them up at an angle. I would see myself using the drainboard part of the sink as the dish drainer on the Stages sink, thus gaining sink space even though the cavity is smaller than my current sink.

Also, what is the depth (front to back) of the Stages 33 sink? I can see from the pdf that the internal width is 19.5 inches but the internal front to back depth is not given.

I'd really like to hear from those who have the Stages 33 in use if possible.

Comments (8)

• carecooks
    11 years ago

Hi,

I got your email with this question. (You were right that I haven't checked here in a long time.) I thought that I would give you my answer in the forum. Here are the measurements that you wanted:

The depth of the main sink is about 9 1/4" plus about 1.5 inches of soapstone countertop. I think that it's plenty deep. The measurement of the internal part of the sink from front to back is 15.75" and the width (not including the 12" shelf) is 19.5". That 15.75" is the actual internal measurement as some space is taken by the ledge that holds the cutting boards.

Although I use my Stages solely as a prep sink, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it as your main sink. The shelf could hold either dirty dishes or dishes waiting to be rinsed. The only issue is the cutting boards. I don't use the plastic ones much but I do keep the mahogany board in the sink most of the time. It is big and heavy and you'll have to figure out a place to put it when you're doing dishes. But if you can find a solution for that I think that you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

• carecooks
    11 years ago

Hi,

I got your email with this question. (You were right that I haven't checked here in a long time.) I thought that I would give you my answer in the forum. Here are the measurements that you wanted:

The depth of the main sink is about 9 1/4" plus about 1.5 inches of soapstone countertop. I think that it's plenty deep. The measurement of the internal part of the sink from front to back is 15.75" and the width (not including the 12" shelf) is 19.5". That 15.75" is the actual internal measurement as some space is taken by the ledge that holds the cutting boards.

Although I use my Stages solely as a prep sink, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use it as your main sink. The shelf could hold either dirty dishes or dishes waiting to be rinsed. The only issue is the cutting boards. I don't use the plastic ones much but I do keep the mahogany board in the sink most of the time. It is big and heavy and you'll have to figure out a place to put it when you're doing dishes. But if you can find a solution for that I think that you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you carecooks! I really appreciate your answer! I emailed a few of you with this sink also as I havn't seen them on the forum lately.
    that said, I looked online and the discounted price for the Stages 33 has jumped from $700 2 years ago to $1100 now! It is almost the same price as the Stages 45! Sticker shock! I wonder if that is because of Galaxy and Ticor going out of business, what a shame. This new price is too high.

• cannes
    11 years ago

I received your email as well but couldn't find my old post to write you back. My Kohler stages 33 is my only sink. Not only have I never regretted my decision for choosing it, I still get excited when I think about it. I leave the cutting board in place most of the time and still have plenty of space to wash 4.5 qt sauce pan, 10" fry pan, vitamix blender carafe, and many other things. I hope this helps your decision.

• cannes
    11 years ago

Ouch! I just read your last post. I paid under $700 for mine back in 2010. I guess one would have to decide how important the usefulness of this sink really is to them. For me, the cutting board expands my counter space and that is invaluable.

• carecooks
    11 years ago

Scrappy25-

Yikes! That's quite a price increase. Still there is one thing to remember; you spend more time in the kitchen doing prep and clean-up than doing any other jobs. So in making decisions on your budget you might want to take that into account.

Good Luck

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you chicagochristina! That is quite an endorsement. Still hoping that the price will drop again.At that price the 45" is in within reach, but not really sure I have the space for it.

• cannes
    11 years ago

Yeah, the 45 is massive. Keep searching for a price your comfortable with. It's a great sink and worth the splurge.