Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamon_girl1319

Please help with kitchen layout

cinnamon_girl1319
10 years ago

Hello -- been lurking on this site for more than a year. I didn't post, but reading everything here helped me with a kitchen remodel that was just finished (and turned out fabulous!) with my primary residence.

My husband and I just bought a vacation home. While I wasn't planning to get caught up in a kitchen remodel so soon on the heels of the last one, there turned out to be a mold problem that was discovered during the home inspection, and the mold remediation that was done necessitated tearing out an entire run of base cabinetry where the sink was.

I understand why they had the old layout as they did, but the problem is that there is no venting over the range. It would be very awkward, even aesthetically, to put even the most lovely island hood in the space because it adjoins the living room in this small cottage. (I considered the only downdraft range I could find, the JennAir, but it has such horrible reviews that I'm looking for a different way to deal with this.)

I think a wonderful solution would be to relocate a range where the sink was and add some beautiful tile (Ann Sacks Escargogo has my eye!) and a chimney style hood for venting. Then, the sink could be moved to where the range was, which would be nice actually as it looks out into the living room. There's a raised bar height counter above this area where that makes an eat-in area on the opposite side, so dirty dishes on the counter won't be visible.

The only problem I'm having is where the dishwasher should go. I think it could fit, but it would need to be at a right angle.

Thanks in advance! I'm attaching a drawing which has the old kitchen layout.

Comments (10)

• cinnamon_girl1319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a photo of the kitchen (prior to demolition) from the real estate listing ... hope this helps

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

Your thought was my very first thought, even before reading your entire post.

Swap the stove and sink, but extend that angled part of the peninsula long enough to accommodate a dishwasher. I don't think it would be that much longer and it seems like you have the space....

It would help to know how long that last angled bit of peninsula is currently, and how much room you have between the corner of that peninsula and the wall.

Or, you could move the sink closer to the corner and turn that angled end into a straight end and have room for a DW.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

My neighbor has a curved peninsula with a 24" DW at an angle. I don't think it's a problem. Since this is a vacation home, you might get by with an 18" DW if a 24" one won't fit.

89" is enough room for a straight peninsula. My 99" peninsula has a 28" sink base, 13" trash pull-out, 24" DW, and a 4" decorative leg. You need a 3" filler at the corner. You'd have the expense of replacing the counter over the peninsula, but the black counter shouldn't be too hard to match.

• cinnamon_girl1319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so very, very much greenhaven and may_flowers for your thoughtful and helpful responses!

may_flowers -- while the back of the straight part peninsula is 89" inches, the inside edge is only about 48. But I just realized that the sink could be much smaller than the range that was there, and also smaller than the double sink that the kitchen used to have. (Actually, I am not a fan of double sinks, but that's another discussion, isn't it?). So, I might be able to squeeze in a 24" sink and a 24" dishwasher. Yayyy!

Or, as greenhaven suggested, I could extend the end of the peninsula and put a dishwasher there. But that would significantly narrow the entrance to the kitchen because we'd need to add 10" to the peninsula (it's only 14" at the front now).

I think a 3rd option would be to try to squeeze the dishwasher next to the refrigerator. The door, would come down just to about the edge of the sink, but I'm thinking that wouldn't really be an issue.

I am certain now that moving the range to where the sink is the way to go, and then figure out whether to do a full size dishwasher or not, and where it should go. Thanks again!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You'll need to straighten it. You can't fit a sink base and DW in. You need a 3" filler in the corner too. A 24" sink base is equivalent to a vanity sink base--tiny! So straightened you'd have 89" - 24" for the fridge counter = 65". 3" corner filler + 24" DW = 37" left over for a sink base. My sink base is 28" and I have a 23" Blanco Silgranite single sink.

• cinnamon_girl1319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers - once again, thanks so much. (As we all know, better to get those bubbles burst before one gets too far down the road with it, lol!) Seriously though, really do appreciate it.

If the end of the penisula is straightened, it would leave a 3 foot opening into the kitchen -- which is workable, but just a little less spacious feeling. So it is charm vs functionality.

I'm thinking another option would be a corner sink. I'm not presently a huge fan of those, so I see this as trading off some functionality, too. Plus, I would lose the upper cabinets in the corner, so that would require a loss of storage too. So, I think I'm ruling this out as I type it.

Or having the dishwasher next to the refrigerator, which might require moving the refrigerator off center to the right a bit. Right now there's 25" there -- is that enough? Is this a viable option?

If not then I guess the only option left would be to straighten that peninsula, and if that is the case it makes my decision easy. I think I'd seriously consider doing an 18" dishwasher as it will mostly be just my husband and me, hosting the occasional guest or dinner party.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I considered a corner sink in my remodel, but no way could I handle standing in the corner. I have 36" at the end of my peninsula and it's the main hallway into the LR and DR. It hasn't been a problem.

You probably know the convential U layout is fridge on one leg and sink or stove in the middle. That's probably more than you want to change and would only be helpful if the bottom of the U is an outside wall for venting.

The 18" DW seems to be the easiest solution, if it fits in the angle.

• cinnamon_girl1319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again! Yes, while those corner sinks might be great for certain situations ... bad enough to be doing dishes but even worse to be standing in a corner, doing dishes.

I think we've figured out the 18" dishwasher is the way to go.

Agree that it is unusual that refrigerator is in the center of the U but I don't think it will bother me and that is an interior wall, so it isn't a candidate for the range. Because of the open peninsula, the only other place to move it would be between the range and the French door, but there wouldn't be any landing space ... and from the living area on the other side of the peninsula, nicer to have a view of pretty cabinetry than the big stainless refrigerator, anyway.

Ok, now I am really feeling ready to go on this remodel!

• cinnamon_girl1319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again! Yes, while those corner sinks might be great for certain situations ... bad enough to be doing dishes but even worse to be standing in a corner, doing dishes.

I think we've figured out the 18" dishwasher is the way to go.

Agree that it is unusual that refrigerator is in the center of the U but I don't think it will bother me and that is an interior wall, so it isn't a candidate for the range. Because of the open peninsula, the only other place to move it would be between the range and the French door, but there wouldn't be any landing space ... and from the living area on the other side of the peninsula, nicer to have a view of pretty cabinetry than the big stainless refrigerator, anyway.

Ok, now I am really feeling ready to go on this remodel!

• greenhaven
    10 years ago

That is exciting, when the final pieces fall into place and the light is green! Can't wait to see the finished product.