Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Those of you with marble backsplashes ...

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

I keep hearing that one should NOT use marble as a backsplash because it will stain and so on. However, I see many of you are using it both on the splash, as a countertop, and and on the floor. What is your experience? What's the maintenance like if you are, say, a moderately busy cook?

TIA ...

Comments (34)

• janefan
    15 years ago

I have honed carrera on my perimeters (surrounding my range) and as a backsplash. You're going to hear here that the etching is the bigger issue than staining...and I agree. Nothing has stained my marble yet, including coffee that sits on it for days (when I'm less than diligent with cleaning around the coffee maker). Plus, there are recipes for poultices that people here have used successfully on stained marble. As for the etching, honed marble will show it far less than polished marble. But I'm of the opinion that you should probably want your marble to develop a "patina" over time, reflecting use!

• alku05
    15 years ago

I'm a very busy cook...an a slobby one at that. I have a honed white marble backsplash that has taken quite a few splatters, particuarly tomato sauce. We sealed it when it was installed, and we don't have a single stain on it.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I have a marble backsplash (ming green) and I am a messy cook. I have only had it 6 months, but in that short amount of time I've had no staining. I meant to seal but just never got it done.

Anita

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting. One guy we had in here giving an estimate said marble or stone for backsplash, nope, no way.

• janefan
    15 years ago

Well, my contractor thought I was nuts for doing the marble. I originally wanted wood for the island and he and DH talked me out of that, which I sometimes regret. I NEVER regret sticking to my guns on the marble. It's one of the things I love most about my kitchen.

• mom1993
    15 years ago

I've had both marble and limestone as a backsplash with no problem at all ( and I have a 10 year old who loves to cook and is really messy). My wood counter in a former house was more maintenance then the marble backsplash. I say go for it!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

We also have marble for our backsplash and countertops and they are an absolute breeze! I'd do it again in a NY minute. Ours are honed and sealed, and all I use is a damp sponge with some dishsoap to clean them. As mom1993 wrote, our butcherblock counter requires more maintenance than the marble. Go figure.

We are exuberant cooks, with splatters everywhere. Not a single stain, no etching visible to my (eagle) eye ....

• danielle00
    15 years ago

We're getting marble on our island, so I'm glad to hear the positive comments.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Love my honed and sealed marble mosaic backsplash! Yes,I was warned to avoid it by the contractor, ID and others because of potential staining and etching issues. However, like others, I fought against those discouragements and instead took strong encouragement from the wise and experienced folk on this forum -- especially Alku05. (Big thanks, Alku05!!). Although I'm still very much at the newbie stage with my kitchen, I've got no regrets with my backsplash and think it's one of the nicest features of the room. BTW, now the contractor and ID are quite proud of it as well. :)

Good luck!

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So here's another question about marble: what is the best way to finish it around the edges -- around windows and so on? Say we chose the 6 x 3 subways used in Smiling Judy's beautiful chocolate and white kitchen and wanted to wrap slightly into the window frames; would this be difficult? This is the window behind our sink:

We want to remove the molding that is around the window, tile up to the bottom of the cabinets, and just finish off the window frame around the top without any molding. I was thinking this would be easier with small tiles. But perhaps we could find some that match or coordinate well with the subways.

(This probably belongs on my "basic backsplash questions" thread instead, but I'm hoping there are some marble mavens reading this.)

• jdechris
    15 years ago

We just finished our marble backsplash and I couldn't be happier.

We sealed our tile twice before installing. We will seal again now that we have grouted.

• Marble123
    10 years ago

What type of Grout to use, sanded or un-sanded?
    what color did you use?

Thanks

• calumin
    10 years ago

The grout width looks like it's 1/16" or maybe 1/8". You should use unsanded grout.

I just bought the grout for my Carrara marble backsplash which was installed yesterday. I bought Laticrete Silver Shadow which looks like a good match. I've also heard TEC Silverado is a good match, but that's very hard for me to find.

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

I LOVE my marble backsplash- I am not a sophisticated cook but find no extraordinary care is needed- it's been a year since my remodel and it looks the same as first day of installation

• peonybush
    10 years ago

Marble backsplash for me too. No problem with stains. I did have the tile guy come back and seal it for a second time. If once is good, twice is better, right?

• mailfox7
    10 years ago

You might want to consider a marble window sill right there behind the sink! It would be gorgeous!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Jdechris, and mfnjsb0809, I love your backsplashes and need colors like that! Share details, please? I realize this is an old thread, but it is new for me :)

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

I like mfnjsb's too so I googled it.. she says it's Carerra marble Dale Tile

Here is a link that might be useful: mfnjsb0809's

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

Thanks kksmama and tracie.erin- I love the backsplash too- it is the sparkle in my small kitchen- I do have a lot of natural light in my kitchen and it is so reflective of the light- it really comes alive depending on the time of day.

• rose2300
    10 years ago

Peonybush:

I love your backsplash! What are the details such as name/color of your tile and where did you find it?

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Peony,

I really like your hardware, too

• peonybush
    10 years ago

Rose---here is the tile I used...3"x6" Pietra Art/Classic Mosaics China White Honed Marble from Florida Tile. The grout is Laticrete Perma Color in Color-Sauterne. I don't know what it is was sealed with but I have no staining at all.
    I searched a long time for that tile and no way was I backing away from it even though it was marble.
    I saw it at a couple tile stores..the tile on the board shows pure white but there is actually slight color variation to the tiles which I like.

Bookworm--the hardware was an absolute steal on ebay. They were less than $2 per pull. DH wanted a pull that he could get his fingers behind and these are great. They have a bit of an industrial look. They also look like they are secured by 2 screws on each side of the pull when actually it's 2 screws from the back into the pull. We love them. I looked on ebay and don't see them but I'll look deeper..the seller had hundreds of them.

• rose2300
    10 years ago

Peonybush:

Thank you so much! I have been searching and searching through what seems like fields of tile! I found some similar tiles and brought the samples home before I saw your post. I will be sure to look for these and cross my fingers they work with our granite.

• vani ptk
    4 years ago

I am installing honed arctic white marble today as backsplash in my kitchen. Just wanted an update from you guys about any staining or etching with your backsplash. Pls let me know. Thanks

• Merivale Chang
    2 years ago

Hi there. I know this post is old but I’m curious how well your marble splashback has held up through years of cooking, particularly if you do stir frying. I’m planning for my kitchen reno and I love the calcatta marble subway tiles for a modern farmhouse kitchen theme. My builder says it’s more porous than carrara. Even the tiling shops have told me to use porcelain marble look coz it’ll be pretty on the first year but it’s a headache to maintain real marble and oil can sip through even if it’s sealed. How did yours go after 5-10years or more?

• Merivale Chang
    2 years ago

Sorry I meant “oil can seep”

• HU-267323712
    2 years ago

Hello Merivale! Hows your marble bs holding up? I fifinally found a bs that I like but its marble! Everyone tells me to stay away from marble. Wha What’s your opopinion?

• Karen Murray
    2 years ago

Still as beautiful as ever but there is some staining noticeable only to me I guess. I’m very protective of it.If I were to do it over, I would go with classic glazed subway tile. At the time of picking the tile out, I was captured by the beauty of the marble. There was no talking me out of it. In reality, a busy cook would chose functionality I think.

• Mom 2022
    2 years ago

If i may ask another question - ho does marble hold behind sink. Any issues with water splashes?

• Karen Murray
    2 years ago

No problem at all with water splashes behind the sink.

• Merivale Chang
    2 years ago

@HU-267… and Karren, I’m still in the middle of doing kitchen reno and still in love with calacatta marble lol so I bought it. But I think I just need to prep myself when the day comes that normal wear and tear and staining shows.

• Karen Murray
    last year

I say go with what makes your heart sing. What’s the worst that can happen? You replace the backsplash with something functional nest time. To me it would be no different than replacing carpeting. People do it all the time. Time for a change!

• Merivale Chang
    last year

I think it’s just more about alleviating the risk of having to spend more money, effort and time to remove old tiles, buy new ones and install. But yes, I agree, we just live and learn, be confident in the choices we make.