Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lemon-yellow stain on granite (Colonial Cream)

Posted by SeeBuyFly (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 19:10

We have a granite countertop (Colonial Cream, reportedly a very porous granite, but well sealed). We have kept a large soap dish on it, with a white towel between the dish and the countertop, for a couple of years. The dish was moved for cleaning the countertop, every couple of months or so.

Nothing happened until recently, when a bright, irregular lemon-yellow stain appeared under it.

Now I know that stain removal starts with identifying the source of the stain. In this case we don't have a clue. The towel was dry but could possibly have become wet in the past from water spilled nearby. The color is nothing like the reddish-yellow color of iron. The area is still waterproof (unsealed areas turn brown upon becoming wet; this area doesn't).

I have tried #40 hydrogen peroxide with ammonia (Windex) and also bleach (separately!). Perhaps there is no reason they should work if the area repels water, but anyway they didn't work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lemon-yellow stain on granite (Colonial Cream)

No idea, but I have bad a bright blue stain on our travertine bathroom counter. A bottle of Windex tipped over and was slowly leaking. I just kept putting water puddles over it. After a few days the blue went away.

o

Yikes! We are getting colonial dream granite whenever we finalize things for the kitchen. I didn't realize this was a porous granite. What did you do to make sure that the fabricators sealed it properly since it sounds like it has been sealed correctly...just for future reference.

Sorry I don't have any suggestions...don't have granite yet.
I hope some others will give you a solution :)

o

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Colonial Dream, which is a much darker granite.

o

could the color be dye bleeding from the towel? if yes it'll likely be very difficult to remove the stain.

when you tried the solvents did you make a poultice?

if no heres how to remove a stain:

make a poultice of the solvent mixed with diatamaceous earth or baking soda. should be wet but not runny.

put poultice over stain area and cover the poultice with plastic wrap. Tape down the plastic on 3 sides. (this allows the poultice to dry much more slowly, usually a co uple of days)

repeat if necessary.

if the stain is oil based it helps to warm up the stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here