Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Window cleaner with cornstarch?

phoggie
11 years ago

I know I read somewhere, but can not find in a search....a window cleaner with, water, vinegar...and I am sure someone posted one that was supposed to be very good using cornstarch in it....can anyone help? Also need the amount per water etc. I appreciate it.

Comments (23)

• kippee
    11 years ago

I remember seeing it on the cleaning tips forum, but do not recall the ratio.

• mrsmortarmixer
    11 years ago

The recipe I use is:
    1/4 c. white vinegar
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    2 c. warm water

I love it, and it does an amazing job!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Why would you add cornstarch? That seems it would make it gritty and cloudy, although I've never tried it. I use vinegar and water (with a coffee filter) only.

I'm not saying it's wrong - I'm asking because it doesn't make sense in my head!

• measure_twice
    11 years ago

Why would you add cornstarch?

Yeh, I wondered about that too, so I Googled. Many people actually tested mixes with and without cornstarch and found that a mix with corn starch works best. Also black and white newspapers beat any other cleaning tool.

Nowhere did I find a reason why. I'm thinkin' the solids of the corn starch help scrub the surface.

Cleaning windows with vinegar and water solution with newspaper was suggested to me by a man who used that combination in 1910.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Yes, I use newspapers, but alas they aren't what they used to be, probably because of the finish they put on now to protect color (all pages get the finish, although not all pages have color--very different from the way they used to print).

• kailuamom
    11 years ago

I like the mix with the vinegar, alcohol and cornstarch. The trick is, to keep rubbing - if you stop too soon, there will be a cornstarch film. If you rub until all clear, boy is it clear!

Also, be sure to shake well every time you're going to use. The cornstarch does settle to the bottom.

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

So what do us poor folks that can't use newspaper (because a newspaper does not exist anywhere around here) use?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I gotta try this. Corn starch is a trip. I can remember when I was a kid experimenting with corn starch and water in a cup, the way it was smooth until you drag something through it and it gets all hard and weird. I wonder if it's there not so much as an abrasive as a gunk eater/absorbent. Maybe someone with a science background can comment. As I was looking for why the corn starch works, someone did mention that you don't want to save the mixture as it will get funky with the starch, which is food. I think I'm gonna try this on my shower doors.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is so interesting! would the cornstarch cause mold though if you don't rinse it off?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Mild abrasive that dissolves away as it is used.

Probably pretty close in cost to baking soda, but mixing that with vinegar would just make CO2 and foam.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 14:47

• kailuamom
    11 years ago

I didn't use newspaper - paper towels and microfiber. Paper towels to get the first scrub (gunk off) then kept wiping with microfiber until dry.

I use the water, vinegar and alcohol on everything now. I'm often too lazy to mess with the cornstarch, and it still works better than any of the commercial cleaners I've used. I add drops of lavender and chamomile oil to make it smell lovely - the whole family likes it.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

bump

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Wow, will look forward to trying! Can anyone recommend a source for lavender drops or other nice smelling additives? Thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Most independent health food stores sell essential oils, oldbat2be.

EDIT For lavender, your local greenmarket may also have a booth. Ours is pretty small, but there's always a woman selling dried lavender, lavender bunches, and various lotions in addition to lavender oil, and she for sure didn't grow the lavender herself anywhere around here.

This post was edited by writersblock on Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 18:25

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Sounds intriguing - what is a newspaper - LOL - our local paper folded years ago....

• kgolby
    11 years ago

Have any of y'all used this cleaner to clean your outside windows? Obviously the portions would need to be increased.

• kailuamom
    11 years ago

I use it on everything - inside and out.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

If you don't have newspaper, try coffee filters. I have been using them for years. Cheap and easy to store, too.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

For bathroom mirrors, there's nothing like a used dryer sheet, if you happen to use those. Much better for getting off toothpaste than newspaper is.

• wolpeg
    6 years ago

Forget the cornstarch. It forms a dough-like goo that clogs the intake screens of most handheld spray bottles. I just went through this experience a few days ago, when I was hired to clean windows for a lady who missed out in high school science class. She insisted that I use her "natural" cornstarch window cleaning solution. Frustrated at having my sprayer clog every 30 seconds, I quietly dumped that junk onto the lawn and refilled the spray bottle with a mix of tap water, ammonia and a dash of Simple Green. She was pleased with the results, but unfortunately, still believes the cornstarch did the trick.

• Thee Kim
    4 years ago

I read that the cornstarch drives the water from the small pores in the glass. Hate to necro this post. The starch is not scrubbing the surface, rather absorbing the water

• Stacy Child
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've used the corn starch and cold water method on my exterior windows for years! About 1/3 cup corn starch to about a gallon of "cold" water. No need for vinegar either. Cheap and easy!!

I take a mop, dunk it, scrub it good (really doesn't need much elbow grease unless you're windows are covered BAD), then spray it with the hose. The water just sheets off and leaves your window sparkling!! My mom is who taught me, who her grandmother taught her too.