Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for wall mounted countertop

Posted by marleycat25 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 18:56

I have a blank wall that I want to mount a 7' counter. I want to use this for eating and want room for 4 stools.. I am thinking it needs to be at least 18" to 20" deep. I do not know what product would be best suited for this.. Granite seems to heavy to mount with brackets. Would it better to use a laminate? Has anyone ever done something like this? If, so what did you use for the actual counter and how did you mount it... For some reason this project has me stumped, not sure where to start.. Would love your advise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for wall mounted countertop

There are so many different styles of wall brackets out there. Here's one idea...

Here is a link that might be useful: Counter

o

Can you use Richelieu legs and a piece of finished formica attached to the wall ? I used an Ikea table for many many years in my kitchen. It was white, mounted on one end to the wall, curved on the other end and had one metal leg. I was amazed at how long it held up, how functional it was and the weight it held. A inexpensive peninsula, it served as a breakfast and dining table and buffet table for parties.

o

I actually had thought about butcher block... I would rather not have legs, but looking at that pic helps..The brackets look great! Does anyone have input about how deep the counter should be to comfortably have a meal there?

o

7' might be a tad crowded for 4 stools unless you can sneak one in on the end....i usually figure 24" per person. If you plan on using the end, then you should have the counter 24" deep. If that's too deep, then you might want to at least round the ends as that gives a little more elbow room to whoever is sitting there.

"Table-height surfaces should be at least 18 inches deep, because your knees are bent at right angle. Taller chairs require less bend in the knees. The NKBA recommends a depth of 15 inches for a counter-height surface and 12 inches for a bar-height surface. "

o

Thank you for the measurement guidelines...big help

o

I've used brackets from Rakks several times. Mostly the ones that are hidden in the wall but they have many and support substantial weight and depth.
My office has an "L" section of desk 6 plus ft on each, 23 in deep- 1-1/2" tick wood top. There is a 15" cabinet on each end- the rest is on two suppots. Did a clients office with an 8 by 10 ft ell with just brackets.

Here is a link that might be useful: rakks supports

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here