Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiebkit

Did you do white-but not custom?

maggiebkit
12 years ago

So many of the people on this forum have white painted cabinets that are beautiful!! I notice that most people seem to list a custom cabinet maker's name when sharing the information on their white kitchens. Is there anyone who didn't go the custom route but still did white? What cabinet line did you use? Are you happy with the finish? I would love to see a picture if at all possible.

Thank you!!

Comments (29)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Dura Supreme Dove White. A BM color that was one of the choices.

• babs711
    12 years ago

Yep. There are quite a few of us here. I think I actually asked a similar question a few months ago too actually! I used a guy my contractor works very closely with who carries many different lines. I ended up with Eudora, a frameless line. I can't recall the exact name of their true white. They had that and an antique white which was really a cream. I'm happy with my choice and will be matching our trim and other builtins to that color as well. In our bath, we went with their espresso stain. For my son's we went with their ebony (black) color. Our guest bath has a freestanding vanity and the half bath, a pedestal. But our kitchen will be white.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Kraftmaid Pearl on Maple on one project and White from Plain & Fancy on another.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

Like Babs711, we have Eudora frameless cabs. White with dark pewter glaze in kitchen, merlot with coffee glaze on island & hood, and espresso in baths. We went with a recessed panel door called 'Brighton'. Happy with the finish so far--the factory finish was one of the selling points for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eudora Cabinetry Link

• library_girl
    12 years ago

I went with Medallion cabinets and chose White Icing, although I was torn between that and Divinity White which was creamier. They're not here yet, so I can't show you a picture.

I was amazed at how they are priced, though. I think I ended up with about 65% off list price with my contractor's discount. The other contractor I spoke with used Kraftmaid cabinets and they were discounted a similar amount.

I did have the cabinets priced at custom, and the price was comparable, but the time factor made us go with Medallion.

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

I also went with Medallion for our white cabinets, in Divinty white. From what I have researched and seen, Medallion paint finishes are very good quality.
    they'll be installed end of April, so can't post either!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Medallion Cabinetry

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

We used Aristocraft thermofoil white cabinets for our perimeter. Our kitchen remodel was an insurance replacement, so "like kind and quality" of or contractor-grade Merillat was what was covered. We did some upgrades with cabinets to the ceiling, one glass door, crown moldings etc. The thermofoil is fine. I wanted painted, but DH didn't want the edges to show, etc. that they say happens with paint after time (and humidity/weather). The thermofoil is AWESOME to clean. Just wipe down with the dishrag. The cabinet insides are smaller than the Merillat cabinets were. Not sure how, but they are. The same stuff doesn't come close to fitting inside. Also, we are noticing some of the frames (not thermofoil) may be yellowing a bit after only 1.5 years. We never bought cabinets before this insurance remodel (except at Home Depot), so we really didn't know and took our GC's word for it. If we had to do it again, I wouldn't pick Aristocraft brand, although so far they haven't fallen off the walls (like the Merillat ones did)!!

We are in the process of having an island built. We ordered custom painted Pioneer cabinets for that (Pioneer is a Michigan company). They seem to have a really nice quality cabinet with some upgrades already standard, but they haven't arrived yet.

• mobydog
    12 years ago

I bought Cardell Cabinets in the white finish. They are delivered and I love them.

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Mini and mydream, your kitchens are gorgeous. I would love to see pics of your houses.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I forgot to state that we're in our build process now so I don't have pics to share yet. I will post when we get there though!

• maggiebkit
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing ellendi!

Babs711, I never heard of Eudora. I'll have to check them out. Looking forward to seeing photos and good luck with the build!

Palimpsest, thanks for the information. Did you prefer one over the other?

Nini804- your mid continent cabinets (and entire kitchen) are beautiful!

Mydreamhome- thanks for the link-and another gorgeous kitchen!

Thanks Librarygirl and clarygrace--I keep meaning to check out medallion.

Deb52899 thanks for warning about Aristocraft, good luck with the island!

Mobydog-thanks, I will add Cardell Cabs to my list!

• ribeach
    12 years ago

We went with New River Cabinetry - South Hampton door, white dove. New build, so kitchen not in yet.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Ours are Brookhaven in antique white. I'm very happy. My finished kitchen is posted as 'amost finished white delicates granite' if you do a search.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Ikea Applad white. They were approx $8,500 assembled and installed and the next closest ones were $17k without installation for the same look at the bog box stores and discount places (slab front white thermofoil).
    The custom ones like ours were $35k, uninstalled, for the same kitchen....

• iroll_gw
    12 years ago

IKEA Ramsjo white. It's made to look like a sort of whitewash finish, where you can still see the grain of the wood through it (very faintly), but is still definitely white. We're very happy with it, and the low cost allowed splurges on other things.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

My kitchen is Starmark inset in Marshmallow Cream. It is as creamy white as the name implies. As soon as I saw the Starmark sample board, I knew I had found the color. It is the same color in the Fieldstone cabinet line. The cabinets have been installed for a little over a year and I have no complaints with the cabinets or the finish.

• marcy96
    12 years ago

I used Schuler semi-custom cabinets from Lowe's in Oyster Vintage. They are really Medallion brand, just marketed under a different name for Lowe's. I went with all plywood construction, soft close drawers, etc. and customized a few of my cabinets. I am very happy with the painted finish. It's matte, not shiny, so does not look cheap and has held up very well.

{{gwi:1571912}}

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

Ikea Stat, the white is comparable to BM Simply White.

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen in southern Spain

• bellajourney
    12 years ago

Ikea Adel White (similar in color to Ben Moore's Cloud White). To be honest, if the budget allowed, I would have used Ikea boxes with custom doors that were a more traditional Shaker style. The Adel was the closest that I could get to my vision while sticking to a strict budget.

• Sms
    11 years ago

bump

• bons
    11 years ago

I am getting ready to do Ikea Adel white. Waiting for the next sale.

Bonnie

• Sms
    11 years ago

Thanks Bonnie. Have you gone down the trim matching rabbit hole yet? We are looking at Starmark white finishes but need to match with factory-applied interior white window trim and trim in the open floor plan.

Who knew a white kitchen would be so complicated ; )

• mountaineergirl
    11 years ago

Mine aren't installed yet but they are Waypoint which is a division of American Woodmark. The color is Linen. Full overlay soft close doors/drawers and plywood boxes.

Had white thermofoil before and do NOT recommend. The thermofoil started to peel on some cabinets and although they stayed white, the cabinets yellowed and then the doors didn't match the cabinets. They were Wellborn.

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I've got Starmark cabs in ivory cream, which isn't really cream to my eyes. It has pale putty undertones. I like it very much, but wouldn't want the trim in the house to be that color. I wanted the trim to be crisper, so it's just white. I have no problem with trim that isn't color matched to my cabinets.

This post was edited by fouramblues on Wed, Jan 9, 13 at 20:50

• bons
    11 years ago

I actually prefer the trim to be a slightly different shade of white as well. That said, I read on some site (maybe GW?) that Benjamin Moore Paper Mache closely matches the Adel white.

Bonnie

• dutchaccent
    11 years ago

I'm interested to see more non-custom white cabinets, so... bump!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I've got Shiloh soft white(uppers) bases are cherry- coffee stained

• pickwickk9
    7 years ago

Nini804. I know this thread is old, but I love your island. Do you have a drawing of it or components that you can share? Thanks!!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals