Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

X post to bathrooms... ming green bath floor maintenance?

remodelfla
11 years ago

I'm collecting tile samples for my future tiny master bath remodel. what kind of maintenance should I expect with a ming green marble floor and shower walls? It's just the two of us, and 90% of the time that bathroom is used just by me. Do I have to seal/grout/seal again? Occasional re-sealing? Special cleansers?

We are all about low/no maintenance is everything we've chosen in this house. As much as I love a tile... I am at least equally about not having to muss with it now or in the future beyond cleaning.

I got two samples of lovely limestone tile that I got excited about till I read about the maintenance involved. No way we're willing to deal with that.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (18)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

I can't help answer your questions, but I hope someone comes along to answer because I too am putting in ming green marble for my shower and walls in my master bath remodel.

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

And I make 3. Are you laying ming green large format tiles or mosaic? I'm using the ming green sunflower mosaic on my master bathroom floor. It should be installed within the next few weeks.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am getting samples and not sure yet what I"m laying down where. There's a sunflower(ish) mosaic I have a pic of that is one of my number of options. DH likes things with simplier lines though.

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

Here's a photo of a ming green floor:

I originally wanted to do something like that, but the ming green samples I got were awful.

The main maintenance that I'm expecting to have is the white grout.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of the pics I"ve seen as well. Where did you get your samples from? I have one coming from an ebay source and also from The Tile Shop. I was also looking at stuff from this company but haven't ordered any samples yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: mosaic tile direct

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

My sample was from mosaic tile direct. It was ming green, but a a really strong green color as opposed to the soft greyish green in the photo above. The tile in the photo above is from Saltillo tile, and ultimately, that's where I got my mosaic from (Saltillo was so good to work with that I actually ordered most of my tile from them). They don't have the large format ming green listed online, but you could call them. I don't live anywhere near a Saltillo store either.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Remodelfa who is your ebay source? I have not found a good source for the tile yet, I was going to look locally but there was one guy on eBay who had 4x4 for like $1.88/each and the price seemed really cheap, not sure about quality...

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it's allstone out of Canada.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLISHED-marble-ming-green-3x6-subway-mosaic-tile-/121080041363?

I have no idea what the quality is since I haven't gotten my sample yet. Have you tried samples from The Tile Shop? I just ordered some things from there too. They call theirs "Biltmore".

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Thanks! The only sample I have so far came from this ebay seller

It was a whiter looking tile, but I am going to order another sample from them w/ a few more tiles to see if the color variation.

I am also going to get a sample of the 12x12 from wholesale marble depot because they seem to have the lowest prices on the large form tiles

My hope is to do the floor and shower (which is a walled off walk-in) in the 12x12 and then use the subways and/or smaller form tiles to tile the arched entry into the shower & toilet closet, and the arched alcove for the tub.

I didn't have a subway source yet and that ebay seller you listed looks good if the quality is good.

I want to find a source for a an accent rug/wall area. I think this is lovely:

This post was edited by beaglesdoitbetter on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 13:27

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

I'll be curious to see what you both come up with! My ming green sunflower mosaic was $16 per sq foot.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the mosaic I was watching from that same ebay seller. the hubs wasn't crazy about all it's business. Over the long term I'd probably agree with him though right now it does kinda appeal to me:

• marcolo
    11 years ago

A marble floor in a bathroom is not low/no maintenance. Not by a long shot.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks marcolo... that's why I asked and why I'm getting samples. I was able to trash my limestone sample in one day.... not good.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Abuse a sample with every cleaning and personal care product you own. Then watch. I won't even ask you to replicate an "accident."

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With the limestone I used toothpaste, nail polish remover, vinegar (we sometimes use hot water and vinegar on the porcelain tile), bleach, and I actually did think about how an "accident" would effect the tile. I didn't need to go that far since what I used destroyed the Lagos Gray completely and also, though not quite as bad a lighter limestone. Too bad, cause I loved the feel and look. I'm awaiting my ming green samples. I"ll be very disappointed if it's as bad. I see so many ming green bathrooms on houzz and we all know how popular cararra is in bathrooms. I can't imagine how THAT many people would spend such big bucks on material that can destroy like that. I could live with minimal maintenance (like wiping sealer on once a year) but beyond that... I don't think so. I also don't want to stress about what cleansers I use or if one of my grandkids use that bathroom and "miss". I'm spoiled by my soapstone counters as my introduction to natural stone cause NOTHING hurts my counter.

• laurajane02
    11 years ago

I bought a steam mop to use on my marble floor. It does work well for cleaning grout. I also think that the smaller format tiles will be more forgiving wrt etching. We already use Dove soap. Otherwise, I do expect my floors to develop a patina over time.

• stewartamy
    8 years ago

did anyone ever make a purchase from all stone through ebay and if so, was it a good experience?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz