Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

My new kitchen ceiling/lighting PICTURES

I posted about our renovation which included closing off our two-story height kitchen and adding a bedroom above. Well we just finished yesterday, and I LOVE it!

We didn't reno the kitchen, that is coming soon, lol, but did add pendants above the island.

The funny thing is, the kitchen seems bigger to me now, that it isn't an endless expanse of 'air' in the ceiling.

Here's the before:

and now, with our new ceiling:

I adore these pendants we chose:

Comments (24)

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

I like your kitchen as is. What are your plans? Your lights are nice.

• meggswife
    12 years ago

That looks so nice, great job! What a bonus to get an extra bedroom, and I love the pendants! : )

• momo7
    12 years ago

Looks wonderful, I adore those pendants too!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

It has a much better scale now. Yay for normal ceiling heights.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

It does look bigger. I'll bet you feel cozier, too.
    Renee

• gingerjenny
    12 years ago

it looks wonderful! i love the lower ceiling! so much cozier and welcoming!

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I like it and those are great fixtures. Now when do we get to see the new bedroom? I must say, you really moved fast on getting this all done.

• deedles
    12 years ago

Beautiful lights! May I ask where you found them?

• poohpup
    12 years ago

What a difference! I agree the kitchen looks so much warmer and cozier. And you gained a bedroom! I also love those pendents. I'd love to know where you got those too. They could work in my kitchen. Hmmmm . . .

• Ilene Perl
    12 years ago

Looks nice. I like your choices.

• springroz
    12 years ago

Very nice! I love the lights, too!

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Nice! Are the cans LED?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! The pendants were from Amazon, actually!

http://www.amazon.com/Landmark-69039-1-Schoolhouse-1-Light-Pendant/dp/B004M8DHQ0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331513752&sr=8-5

I will post our entire reno in the renovation forum for those of you who want to peek!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Those light fixtures are gorgeous!
    I love a high ceiling, but yours were crazy high.
    I'd be thrilled to add another bedroom that way ;)

• mary_lu_gw
    12 years ago

Is that the "remodeling" forum? I too would love to see the rest of the reno.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I think you made such a wise, beautiful choice!
    Frankly, I've always found cathedral ceilings or those lofted areas dumb, a huge waste of useable space, and God knows a horrendous energy issue.

Your kitchen has lovely, higher that 8' ceilings, and is warm and cozy even before whatever renovation you plan. The lights speak for themselves. :)

Can we see the bedroom? Does it have a nice view? Is it the new Master? or guest?

Good choices.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, sorry, remodeling forum, lol.

The new bedroom is our Master. We were able to punch through into our existing bath and still use it as is. We also added a walk in closet without taking sq. footage away from the new master by borrowing a section of our OLD master that adjoins it.

Here's the link to the pics in the other forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: addition

• nikkidan
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! Curious though...what is the size of your island?

Original Author
    12 years ago

the island is 3x4

to PP, the reason I want to reno the kitchen is the configuration is awful! You can't open the fridge all the way because it is shoved next to a wall...and the dishwasher is next to the stove (door openings). I also want to add a pantry at some point!

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Wow, amazing. Who would have thought you could do something like that. Both spaces look great. And to have gained another bedroom....

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Where the heck is this remodeling forum? Or the Old House forum? I haven't been able to locate them.

I was looking at your B4 & after pics again.
    I just realized you didn't change your cabinets. They look completely different and more suited!

Go figure, huh?
    Really nice.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I like it too. When I see houses like this I often think that the architect is only thinking about how the outside of the house looks like. From the inside they are difficult to decorate in terms of window treatments.

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Thanks for posting the info about the lights. I've been looking and looking at lights for the kitchen and had been leaning towards a chandelier. But something about your lights . . . . . I just love them. I very well may be posting finished kitchen pics with those gorgeous lights over my island.

Peeked at the other pics of the addition. What a great job! Just amazing the amount of space you "reclaimed" and how much it improved your existing space. You definitely added great value to your home.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

CEFreeman, you have to go up a level or two on GardenWeb to get to the main forum directory. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Other forums