Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyc_sport_gw

Sillites Anyone?

nyc_sport
14 years ago

Anyone have pictures of their island using Sillite electrical outlets? Did they fit in the space above cabinet doors or drawers? Thanks!!

Comments (30)

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

I will have one in about a week or two. Mine will sit in a false door panel on the working side of my island. Specifically it will be placed near the top of one of the stiles.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

needsometips, do you have pics yet?

Thanks!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

bump

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oh, and where did you get your Sillites from?

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Oh wow ... those are great!

• smiling
    13 years ago

I think they are great for the right location. Just be sure to notice that they are only 15 amp outlets, and therefore they won't be usable in places that call for 20 amp circuits.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Yeah, I found out today I couldn't use them because I have to have 20 amps....Jsweenc...which "Ughmold" did you use, how bad is it and can you post pics? Thanks.

I was planning on getting the angled plugmold from Task Lighting....hmmm...

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Why do you have to have 20 amps? Is that code where you are? Disappointing. Will it be under an upper? If so, it should be fine, hardly visible.

I don't have uppers by my sink and a short apron from window to counter, but they have to go within 2' of the sink. It's so bad that even the SIL of my GC, when he was sanding drywall yesterday, kept commenting about how bad it looked. Granted, I told him first that I didn't like it, but he took several opportunities to affirm my opinion! However, it's much better since I made them take off the junction box. I was feeling sick when I first saw that so this I can at least live with. Truly it's not that bad, but I would much rather have the Sillites receptacle if possible. I think.

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

Well, most of my island is put together, but the Sillite isn't in. I ordered white to match the rest of the outlets, but I didn't count on it looking so glaring against the beautiful wood so now I am wondering about ordering a black one instead.

So it's on pause for the time being till I order a black one.

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update, needsometips. I read, I think on their website, that they can be painted. I missed smiling's post earlier. Is 20 amp standard for most outlets? I faxed the SCR (self-contained receptacle) page to the electrician today and he didn't say anything, so I'm hoping.

nyc_sport, I just reread your original question. My drawer boxes are shallower than the drawer fronts, so the stiles are ~2" tall but I have a little over 3" of space. I am speculating on these, have no assurance that they will work, but it's worth trying. (I won't let them drill the 1 3/4" hole unless I"m sure they will work, but I did order them not knowing. I'll use them elsewhere if not.) I'm hoping to use the wiring right where it is, at the back of the island.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Jsweenc...holy crap! That really stinks that you have to have the outlets right there! But I found out today it is code here in Florida for them to be 2' from either side of the sink. And yes, we have to have 20 amps for code.

Your kitchen is amazing...painted inset cabs! Soapstone! I hope you get the plugmold thing resolved soon. It does look out of place in your masterpiece!

If I have plugmold under my cabs...will it be barely noticeable or not noticeable at all? I am getting creamy white cabinets (oh my god, somebody pinch me!!!) along the perimeter and will have white subway tile there. I thought I would go with the brushed metal angled plugmold. Whaddya think?

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

jsweenc - I believe I needed an outlet (GFI protected) within 2 feet of the sink & yes, 20 amp circuit (code). In the event the sillite does not fulfil code, could you not just put in a double receptacle mounted horizontally instead of the plugmolds? Or is their not enough height for that? Perhaps there is a smaller cover plate that might work with a regular receptacle?

BTW, as you know, I LOVE your kitchen.

Good luck!

Tina

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

nyc, we have hijacked! Are you still here? And is any of this helpful?

I was assuming that the 20 amp code was local, but from what I can now tell, it's NEC, which means no one can use the Sillites near the sink without putting something else there. Does that mean 20 amps on the island as well?

Do you know, all this time the electricians have been saying "Can't fit a regular outlet under the window or on the island, not enough space, wiremold is the only thing we can do". So I never looked at turning it horizontally. Now that you mention it, the box is 2 1/4" wide and should work under there. I just looked up and found a narrow outlet cover (also 2 1/4") that comes in white, black or brushed metal that, if it is patched around the hole, should cover completely. I haven't been able to find out if there is a shallower junction/gang box that would work on the island. They did drill extra holes to mount the plugmold that will need to be covered, but if I can eliminate the plugmold first, I'll come back with that question.

sabjimata, will you have a light rail on the bottom of your cabinets? If so, I really don't think it will be noticeable, especially angled. I know there have been a few threads about this but I don't have them bookmarked. I'm so excited for you to get your white kitchen!!!

(Thank you sabjimata and thank you again, Tina. I'm tickled, sabji, that you mistook my counter for soapstone. That's what I most wanted but was out of the budget. I love my granite though... Black Impala leathered.)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Jsweenc--I am SO happy you are able to fix the FughMold issue! Seriously. Your kitchen is gorgeous. I am surprised that soapstone would be more than black leathered granite...but I think location has a lot to do with it. The granite looks great! Mazel tov on your horizontal outlets!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

I thought not, because it's not there anymore! Got it removed and replaced with Sillites. GC made a new apron for the window; it was not completely square anyway so he had to do that regardless. Only thing now is to figure out how to cover the holes in the island. I am asking cabinet guy about cutting a very thin veneer strip, or any other ideas anyone might have would be welcome! Even with those holes, I think it looks soooooo much better!

It wasn't a problem to put the 15 amps next to the sink, so it must be local code rather than NEC. He said "As long as you have..." but the rest was blah blah blah as soon as I heard the word "Yes we can put those there".

nyc, in the island, they weren't even deep enough to reach the drawer so that wasn't an issue. I have inset cabinets so the outside frame is just a little thicker than the depth of the outlet. I can take pics from the inside if you need them.

A big thank you to buffalotina for the idea!

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

jsweenc, I am sure glad you got those ughmolds replaced!! Those were the worst I have ever seen and ruined a gorgeous kitchen! The Sillites are great. I never heard of them before. What a cool invention!

• jsweenc
    13 years ago

Thanks ccoombs! Funny thing is the electricians had never heard of Sillites either! Now they have and I hope they'll remember and spare some other homeowner of extra holes in their island!

• buffalotina
    13 years ago

Oh I am so glad I could help! Yes, the sillites look cute under your window - what a difference! They were something I came across and mentally filed away while browsing this forum over the last year. I have received so much help from this forum during my remodel that I am glad I could help! I know I got lots of good ideas for little things from here that helped so much. Good luck with finishing your kitchen!

Tina

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oooh Congratulatios on your Sillites! Kitchen looks greater than before!

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

The Silites look so much better than the plugmold in that lovely kitchen. I have a couple of them but haven't installed them - one more thing to do in my spare time!
    Even though 20amp circuits are used, the vast majority of switches/outlets are 15amp & are compatible. It's fairly uncommon (at least, the last time I checked) to buy a 20amp receptacle/switch unless it's for something heavy duty that specifically requires it. Your electrician should definitely know if local code requires 20amp receptacles instead of the ordinary 15amp but don't let him BS you because he's unfamiliar with Silites.

• needsometips08
    13 years ago

I ordered my black sillite today. Cab maker is buying my unusable white one from me.

When the electrical inspector came out for the rough in inspection, I showed her the sillite and she thoroughly checked it out and said it would pass inspection and noted it on the paperwork.

We are in the Seattle area.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

The code requires at least two 20-amp small appliance circuits, but you can use more. Table 210.21(B)(3) clearly allows 15A receptacles on 20A circuits. This applies so long as there are at least two receptacles on the circuit.

I have 12 black Sillites in my kitchen on four circuits. The flat topped prep peninsula has one mounted in a panel that is an extension of a pair of small drawers. A duplex outlet is also under that section, but is at a distance not meeting code to be an "official" outlet. The cook top peninsula has a rising back spash to a bar top, and it has four Sillites mounted in the soapstone.

The rest of the Sillites are mounted in wood under cabinets on a wall.

Note, Sillites are approved for wiring with types NM or MC cable.

kas

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Thanks for the useful info, Kaseki.

• rosiew
    13 years ago

"Table 210.21(B)(3) clearly allows 15A receptacles on 20A circuits. This applies so long as there are at least two receptacles on the circuit."

I verified Kaseki's info last week - talked with the owner of Sillites. Glad to put the confusion aside: these can definitely be used on a 20A circuit.

Rosie

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"Yeah, I found out today I couldn't use them because I have to have 20 amps"

You are allowed to use 15 amps receptacles on a 20 amp circuit, even a kitchen counter circuit.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

thanks ;)

• Susan L
    4 years ago

Here's a nice article showing in one place many different products available to use for less conspicuous outlet in the kitchen, many of which have been mentioned above.

Outlets in the Kitchen - the Definitive Guide

• Chris Watford
    last year

Perfect for islands.

• kaseki
    last year

Mine described earlier in this thread are still operating without any issues.

One safety action that should be considered in wiring them: If romex is used along a strip of board to connect two or more devices together, that is, one feed to a strip of outlets, steel should be fastened or embedded between the cable and the wood exterior to protect against drilling into the cable. This is functionally akin to the use of steel plates to protect cables passing through 2 x 4s.