Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Z-Line range hood

Posted by mreloc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 18:43

I've searched and searched, but have not found enough about the Z-Line lower cost alternative of range hood. I have a Capital Culinarian 36" range, and am looking for a 42" high CFM (straight vertical 8" duct) affordable hood.

What I know-
- It's cheap, and Chinese - I guess about $1200
- I can get a 304 SS variety (like the one in the link below) to avoid the possibility with rust that comes with 430 SS
- Better Business Bureau gives Z-Line an A+ rating (vs a "D" rating for Proline)
- 3 year warranty

I've read that Kobe is a good lower cost alternative, but the one I like is 900CFM and is also 430 SS for about the same money as the Z-Line

Anyone with experience with Z-Line please chime in with your recommendations! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor version of Z-Line

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Z-Line range hood

Check it out with the folks on the appliances forum. I'm sure someone over there will have words of wisdom for you.

o

If it's too good to be true........then it's not true.

o

Negative review in thread below. Appliance forum is a good place to look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heard of these brands of range hoods? Z-line, Cavaliere or Alcona

o

I purchased the 42" 720CFM ZLine hood. It's ok. Only ok. It is a nice gauge of stainless steel. I have not noticed problems with the draw--maybe I am not savvy enough to know what's better. :) It is louder than I would like. Honestly, I purchased it at a lower price to help with the budget, thinking we may switch it out in a few years. It was $550, I believe, but is now under $500. Don't think I'd do it again. Hope this helps.

o

Thanks for the replies... strangely I'm only getting them here instead of the appliances forum :/
I guess I'm still leaning toward the hood I have mentioned- I can order it and pay to ship it back if it looks crappy. This one doesn't seem to be comparable to any that others have feedback on- mainly it has dual motors, 1200cfm, an 8 inch outlet. It does have a 3 yr warranty- and the BBB ratings are very high. How complicated can it be to build a hood- would there be that much difference if I spent 2-3X as much for a conventional brand?

thanks again!

o

We had one installed 12 months ago. Love it. Build quality is very good.

o

What's your cooking style mountaineer2? Do you find you use your hood often? Thanks in advance.

o

Hey mountaineer2, which model did you install? Most of the comments I've read are from the very low cost ($300-$500), lower CFM models. I'd like to hear real-world experience of owners of the higher end of Z-line

o

Sorry I missed your replies! I'm not home now but my hood was about$500 and is 600 cfm. We turn it on every time we use cooktop or oven. We saute, fry and do most every type of cooking. The pro style baffles clean up very well. Happy to answer other questions!

o

Well, I received my Z-Line hood yesterday. Very impressed! It was packaged extremely well, strapped and shrikwrapped to a pallet, so absolutely no damage. I haven't installed it yet, but I did unpack and plug it in-
Notes:
- it comes with a metal transition piece from the hood to 8" round ducting (I'd read before that they were made out of plastic)
- it comes with metal flex ducting to connect to the final run outside (Nice- I figured I'd have to purchase separately)
- It runs pretty darn silently and strongly. On low- it's a whisper yet airflow enough to blow your hair back :). On high, it just sounds like a lot more air, no vibration or motor noise.
- Very nice fit and finish. Seamless
- Great size! 42W x 27 deep- will be great for my 36" high output range.
- Less than a thousand bucks. I'm happy!

o

mreloc -- just a word of caution: it won't pass building code in most areas to use flex ducting for range hood ducts. Just fyi. You may want to check with your local authorities to doublecheck. (The flexing can catch bits of grease and poses a fire hazard.) Straight duct is simple to locate and purchase, even at big box stores.

Let us know how you like it when you've got it in!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here