Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mreloc_gw

Z-Line range hood

mreloc
10 years ago

I've searched and searched, but have not found enough about the Z-Line lower cost alternative of range hood. I have a Capital Culinarian 36" range, and am looking for a 42" high CFM (straight vertical 8" duct) affordable hood.

What I know-
- It's cheap, and Chinese - I guess about $1200
- I can get a 304 SS variety (like the one in the link below) to avoid the possibility with rust that comes with 430 SS
- Better Business Bureau gives Z-Line an A+ rating (vs a "D" rating for Proline)
- 3 year warranty

I've read that Kobe is a good lower cost alternative, but the one I like is 900CFM and is also 430 SS for about the same money as the Z-Line

Anyone with experience with Z-Line please chime in with your recommendations! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Outdoor version of Z-Line

Comments (21)

• eam44
    10 years ago

Check it out with the folks on the appliances forum. I'm sure someone over there will have words of wisdom for you.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

If it's too good to be true........then it's not true.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Negative review in thread below. Appliance forum is a good place to look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heard of these brands of range hoods? Z-line, Cavaliere or Alcona

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

I purchased the 42" 720CFM ZLine hood. It's ok. Only ok. It is a nice gauge of stainless steel. I have not noticed problems with the draw--maybe I am not savvy enough to know what's better. :) It is louder than I would like. Honestly, I purchased it at a lower price to help with the budget, thinking we may switch it out in a few years. It was $550, I believe, but is now under $500. Don't think I'd do it again. Hope this helps.

• mreloc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies... strangely I'm only getting them here instead of the appliances forum :/
    I guess I'm still leaning toward the hood I have mentioned- I can order it and pay to ship it back if it looks crappy. This one doesn't seem to be comparable to any that others have feedback on- mainly it has dual motors, 1200cfm, an 8 inch outlet. It does have a 3 yr warranty- and the BBB ratings are very high. How complicated can it be to build a hood- would there be that much difference if I spent 2-3X as much for a conventional brand?

thanks again!

• mountaineer2
    9 years ago

We had one installed 12 months ago. Love it. Build quality is very good.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

What's your cooking style mountaineer2? Do you find you use your hood often? Thanks in advance.

• mreloc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey mountaineer2, which model did you install? Most of the comments I've read are from the very low cost ($300-$500), lower CFM models. I'd like to hear real-world experience of owners of the higher end of Z-line

• mountaineer2
    9 years ago

Sorry I missed your replies! I'm not home now but my hood was about$500 and is 600 cfm. We turn it on every time we use cooktop or oven. We saute, fry and do most every type of cooking. The pro style baffles clean up very well. Happy to answer other questions!

• Circus Peanut
    9 years ago

mreloc -- just a word of caution: it won't pass building code in most areas to use flex ducting for range hood ducts. Just fyi. You may want to check with your local authorities to doublecheck. (The flexing can catch bits of grease and poses a fire hazard.) Straight duct is simple to locate and purchase, even at big box stores.

Let us know how you like it when you've got it in!

• bonitapplebum
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

mreloc and others, can anyone speak to the Z Line hood after installing it?

I do a lot of Indian cooking and am thinking of getting a 700-1200 CFM hood in a 42" size. The Z line looks affordable in this range of CFM for me. I need all of the aromas from the cooking to be sucked out, so that is the reason for a higher cfm. We currently have a microwave hood and it's about 350 cfm, which is nowhere near enough.

• Dorys Prentice
    7 years ago

@akaur007, I have the ZLINE 42" Under Cabinet Range Hood (488-42) over my 36" American Range ARROB636. I had pretty much blown my budget on our kitchen reno so I had to find something powerful but less expensive than most of the popular brands.

I have it mounted 35" above the range. So far the unit works very well. I normally use the lowest level and it sucks everything out and there is no lingering odors.

However, I regret that I didn't a 27" deep version instead of 24" for heavy smoke cooking like wok cooking. Also, I think it is way louder than they claim, even on low. Lastly, the control buttons is towards the back and difficult to reach. I have to get on my tippy toes to reach them.

Overall I'm happy with the unit. For the price, I think it is a very nice hood.

• Jora
    5 years ago

mreloc and Dorys Prentice- I'm looking at a higher end Z-line to put over our 30" range and wanted to get your feedback on the ones you purchased (especially since some time has passed since both your posts). Also, can you please attach photos/model numbers of yours? Thank you in advance!

• Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

Jora... sorry, just saw your post. I no longer live in the house that had our Zline Hood. Everything I mentioned just above stood by the time we left. They work very well, but it is loud, the controls on the model I purchased were too far back for my short self and my next rangehood will be 27" deep. I will probably get another Zline with these changes in mind.

• Jora
    5 years ago

No worry Dorys, I appreciate you taking time to respond.

We purchased a Kobe under cabinet hood (and hubby is attempting to install as I write), and custom building a cover for it. We loved the look, and price, of ZLine hoods, however the size simply wouldn't work. Thank you again!

• joelcoqui
    5 years ago

either hit your head with the 27" deep one with sharp edges or get a more shallow one that dont cover the depth of the cooktop 100%. I personally like the way the 21" looks next to the 12 deep wall cabinets next to the hood. Which to choose?? I have induction so it dont put off that much heat but the steam would be the same as a gas burner.

• Dorys Prentice
    5 years ago

@joelcoqui - I guess that depends on whether function or aesthetics is most important. If you don't generate a ton of smoke with searing or woking, then you may not need a 27" hood. But I am no expert.

I'm getting induction when I remodel my kitchen. I still sear and wok quite often and generate a ton of smoke. I'm afraid to put in a 27" because my kitchen is a narrow 16x8' galley and that hood will dominate the kitchen, but I also don't want all the smoke in the house like I'm getting now with an old 1978 range hood. I may go with 24" again since the cooking surface will be a bit farther back on the induction cooktop than on my old open burner range at my last house.

Either way, it's a good thing I'm short. I won't hit my head and others need to watch out for themselves. LOL

• PRO
    Doug McKenzie Properties
    last year

We purchased a Zline range hood through Home Depot. The stainless chimney sleeve did not fit. Multiple attempts to reach customer service were never responded to.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

"We purchased a Zline range hood through Home Depot. The stainless chimney sleeve did not fit. Multiple attempts to reach customer service were never responded to. "

That is what happened to me -- wrong chimney size. Very, very fortunately I was able to purchase just the chimney piece somewhere on-line (I don't remember where - sorry), cost me something like $50. I was so mad about it I never tried to contact customer service, I just wanted to have the thing finished off and be done with it.

• PRO
    ZLINE Kitchen and Bath
    last year

Hello Doug McKenzie Properties,

Thank you for reaching out to us and we apologize for the inconvenience. Please message us at contact@zlinekitchen.com with your order number and contact information so that we can resolve this issue. We are looking forward to hearing from you!