Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/8-inch backsplash tile joints: Sanded or unsanded grout?

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 18:43

I'm totally confused. My backsplash will be 3x6 subways (ceramic crackle), running bond, with 1/8" joints. I have been telling the tile store and tile setter that I wanted unsanded grout. It has dawned on me that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I find that on GW some say sanded, others say unsanded for 1/8". Someone had their glass tile scratched because sanded grout was used, but I'm not using glass.

Do I want sanded or unsanded grout? Pros/cons?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/8-inch backsplash tile joints: Sanded or unsanded grout?

I've heard that 1/8" can go either sanded or unsanded. Any larger spacing needs sanded and any smaller needs unsanded. The scratching would be an issue with glass I am told. I used sanded on my marble that is polished and I don't think it scratched. I will be using unsanded on my ceramic tile that I am using in my BR in the near future because the joint is very tiny. I think with sanded grout there is less shrinkage on those larger joints.

I hope that has helped because I just realized that I prefaced every item above with an "I think" or "I've heard".

o

I would use unsanded. Sanded grout is used on larger gaps because the sand acts as an aggregate holding the large gap together. It is not as clean looking as unsanded though. You do see the sand in it where unsanded is very smooth.

o

Never sanded. That's the yucky stuff that catches on your sponge. You only need sanded for wider joints. Some glass tile calls for sanded, but that's when it's bevelled and there's a wider gap on the underside.

o

Never sanded.

Thanks everyone. I like definitive answers.

o

The above is all true. 1/8" is the break point between sanded and unsanded. The issue is that grout shrinks (while sand does not); if you bridge too large a gap with unsanded, the shrinkage results in cracking. You are fine with 1/8", however.

o

sand can be coarse or fine-grained.

Sand can be sharp edged or round particles.

When grouting, you may smooth out the surface and ensure that sand particles are not protruding.

Additionally, ....

Sand may be good, in grout.

YMMV.

o

I will continue this discussion with my tile setters. Plus my quest for a better gray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here