Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labradoodlemom

Red Island? What do you think?

labradoodlemom
15 years ago

We have an old farmhouse (original part 1700, addition kitchen 1950's). We want to keep that country farmhouse feel in the kitchen, but with an "up-to-date/modern" look.

Here's what we have in the plans so far:

* wide plank oak flooring

* reclaimed post and beams from a dismantled barn

* Cream cabinets in the background

* A white apron sink

* Giallo Ornamental granite on the cream cabinets

Then, there's the island:

* A furniture-like island with legs on all four corners and seating

* A solid wood countertop

* Colonial red base cabinets

Here's what I'm questioning:

1) Does the granite make it feel TOO modern? Should we try to go with something more earthy? Maybe honed granite in a more neutral color?

2) Does the red island flow with the rest of the colors? Will it be too bold of a statement?

What do you think? Opinions?

Anyone have any pictures that might help convince me?

TIA!!!

Our combinations so far:

A few inspiration photos:

Comments (30)

• sweeby
    15 years ago

I adore my red island! I've got legs on the living room side and cabinetry on the kitchen side, with only a small section in the middle touching the floor (prep sink). I've attached a photo, but please realize that the color in this photo got terribly distorted by the flash. Really it's a rich barn red, not fuschia! ;-) If I didn't have a prep sink in there, I'd have gone with a butcher block top, but figured granite would wear better.

If you think your granite would be too modern, what about soapstone? Or a soapstone-look granite? Either of those would look more 'authentic' to the period.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• eandhl
    15 years ago

I think a red island would look beautiful, of course I have red painted cabs with soapstone counters. I was going to ask if you considered soapstone or Virginia Mist honed granite. Of definitly buy a quart of the red you are considering and paint a board. I was sure I knew but ended up with a collection of qts of red paint.

• labradoodlemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the confidence about going with the red island. I love the notion of it, but, just can't quite picture it all together.

As for the countertops, we'd love to do soapstone but we worry about it scratching and chipping, especially with kids coming in the near future! The Viriginia Mist is a nice option. I wonder if there are any other "solid" colors other than black?

• jbrodie
    15 years ago

I think a red island would look really great! I love red, and it will really add a fun element to the kitchen. I'm with eandhl, I think soapstone would look really cool too! But then again, I'm particial to soapstone having just put in my own kitchen. But I think it would be a beautiful combo with what you have there. Or if you go with granite, something subtle and dark with a honed finish might be cool. Or you could go granite on the perimeter and wood on the island. So many options! Though I also really like the one you have pictured. It would give it a softer look than the soapstone, I think. It looks similar to the variety my neighbor has which looks beautiful with her cream cabinets.

I found some pictures for you. Hope these help! I think they all are beautiful!

http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/photos/2008/08/15/20080815-001021-pic-840231004.jpg

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/2008/07/ss_100032776.jpg

http://www.birchcraftkitchens.com/images/gallery/image/kitchens_36.jpg

http://www.ikeafans.com/galleries/images/2346/large/2_picklesisland.jpg

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Love, love, love the red for the island. I think your combination of colors and materials is wonderful, as is. I don't think the granite will wreck the farmhouse feel, and as you said, you want it to be 'up-to-date/modern.' I think it'll be a clean look with a bit of elegance to it, and I also think something dark and solid like soapstone will compete with the red island, while the granite will be gorgeous without overwhelming. With soapstone or something similar you'd have solid cream, solid black, and solid red, and all with similar sheen/texture. Seems kind of heavy to me. I like the lighter, patterned element in the mix, and the polished surface, which I'm not usually a huge fan of, will add textural variety, too.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Ditto everything rhome said. I L O V E red. I think it will look really classic, and I love the granite choice.

• labradoodlemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all so wonderful! I am so glad I stumbled upon this website/forum and get to have the chance to work with such positive, kind, and inspirational people! THANK YOU!!!!
    I think when we visit the granite yard this weekend, I'll browse for some slabs that could be honed and see how they compare to the ones we've picked. It might help to see it in a larger slab.
    And, thank you for encouraging me to go with the red. I love the notion and now have faith to proceed! :-)

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

I love all of your choices--especially the red island and white perimeter cabinets--but I'm not crazy about the granite. I don't think it's the color or the idea of granite...I just don't really like that granite. A little boring for my taste. But in the same respect, I think it would look totally fine on the perimeter. Butcher block on the island sounds great. I also really like Bianco Romano granite--but I have a feeling that if you go to the granite yard with your color choices so far, you will come back with pictures of something ENTIRELY different and absolutely, breathtakingly perfect. And be sure to post pictures if you do that!!!

With that being said, I have soapstone (Original PA from Green Mtn. Soapstone) and three little kids (5,3,1) and have absolutely no chipping or scratching with 2+ years on the counters. Love it. Very easy to have--and feels "warmer" than granite--don't know why, it just does. It isn't for people who want it always to look EXACTLY the same--after oiling goes from jet black to a medium, gunmetal gray after a while (weeks, months). A honed black/gray granite wouldn't have that change (but my sister has honed absolute black granite and has three or four stains on it...kind of like oil rings...).

Good luck!!
    :)
    Sarah

• pickles_ca
    15 years ago

Hi
    I have an old farmhouse too - but not as old as yours! We did cream cabinets and a red island. I did use soapstone because I felt like it would work better in my space - but you have to accept its characteristics. If nicks and scratches will drive you crazy- then don't get it.

Here is a picture from a few years ago.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I love the red island, esp as shown in the inspiration photo with the red hutch. Very pretty and I think the color would be easy to live with (ie, you won't tire of it). But maybe that is because red is my favorite color :)

I ditto what someone else said about your granite. Your other choices seem just right for a fresh kitchen with a perfect look for an old house; your granite strikes me as more new construction look, if that makes any sense.

I also have soapstone in my mid-century home. I've only had it for 6 months but I have 3 kids (10, 8, and 5) and a husband who might as well be a kid and this stuff is awesome! It looks fantastic - rich and warm with lots of depth and character. I have a hard variety (Minas) and I'm a bit rough (ie, I cut right on the soapstone!) and it is great. We have a few minor scratches and the tiniest of dings but they look just right :)

Anita

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Have you considered a really well-finished butcher-block counter? The tabletops in your inspiration pix look so warm and nice with the earthy red, and the butcher-block would reflect your gorgeous floor as well. If you have it really well finished you can avoid getting it nicked/stained. Of course, I love the soapstone idea, too.

Another idea is to do something cheaper like wooden butcher block for now, while the kids grow and beat everything up, then switch up for something more elegant when they're grown.

(I dislike the granite, but I'm not a granite fan to begin with, so filter that appropriately. To my way of thinking, it adds an inappropriately modern, cold & harsh tone to the rest of the ensemble.)

And I know I sound like Ms. One-Note (!), but copper counters might really do the trick too. :-) I have them with red accent tile and LOVE the warmth and utility.

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

I love the red island and it will be beautiful!

I think the granite goes well, too, but it does modernize your kitchen. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that (I'd do it), but if you want the kitchen to be more traditional, the soapstone would be a better fit.

1700's farmhouse - how cool is that?!!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Love the combination! I think it will look wonderful! I even like the granite w/your choices and I'm not normally a fan of that type of granite.

• lyno
    15 years ago

I think the red island will be beautiful. What cabinet line is the door in your combination picture? But I agree with the others that have suggested the darker granites or soapstone, and like circuspeanut said, you might want to consider the copper. You didn't mention your appliances but they are going to add to the "up-to-date/modern" look. I love your inspiration photo and everyone's red islands.

• eandhl
    15 years ago

This site shows a couple of example of granite, jet mist, Virginia mist.
    http://www.cnlstone.com/boston/granite/samples_black.htm

• pickles_ca
    15 years ago

If you are set on granite - check out 'Blue butterfly' it goes by other names too. I didn't think I would be able to find soapstone and I really did like this granite. It is dark with blue and deep red inclusions. It would tie in with your red island. But do consider soapstone too.

This is a nice closeup of the granite.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• danielle00
    15 years ago

we're redoing the kitchen of our 100+ year old farmhouse. Slate blue island here. I think red would be amazing, though! Definitely go with that.

I will echo the others and encourage you to consider soapstone. We are getting Green Mountain Original. It is very, very hard... we also considered Blue Butterfly. That is nice too, but it is extremely shiny. I think the counter will go along way in helping convey that look you are going for.

Jet Mist and Ocean Green (which might be too green if you go with the red) are other ones to consider if you are looking for something to approximate the look of soapstone.
    ___
    and,
    Pickles-CA I LOVE your kitchen. Your soapstone and island are just gorgeous. Are there more pictures of your kitchen anywhere?

• pickles_ca
    15 years ago

HI danielle00
    thanks - I have some more pics linked on 'my page' we have a stainless fridge now - so it looks better.

I forgot to mention that the Blue Butterfly we were considering was honed. I agree - really shiny granite doesn't work (for me) in an old house.
    I also like the granite that looks like soapstone.

• labradoodlemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LYNO- The cabinet door is from Elm Cabinetry. We loved their cabinets, but, with a bid of close to $26,000 from the local supplier, we had to pass. So, our cabinet maker is going to use them to inspire his work, and, at about 1/2 the price!

Pickles CA - LOVE your kitchen! Definately gets me excited to do the red and cream combo! :-) THANKS for sharin'!!!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll definately look into some of the honed granite options and even the soapstone options. I originally wanted more of that look, but, somehow(?) DH swayed me towards the giallo granite!!!

• houseful
    15 years ago

Oh, I love your combination! I saw a beautiful Spanish red cabinet color by Diamond at Lowes recently. I briefly thought about using it, but I just know mine would get ruined before long :(

Can't wait to see yours!

• worldmom
    15 years ago

I think it all sounds wonderful! I love the red island idea, especially!

Someone upthread mentioned bianco romano granite, and I would suggest it's definitely worth a look. I think it would work great with all of your other choices. :o)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I still like the granite choice, which isn't one I'd usually choose, but in this case/this particular combo I think it will create a unique and gorgeous kitchen...But also like the suggestion for Bianco Romano, which is one of my favorites...However, most I've seen is a little whiter than cream, so would want to make sure it and the cabinet color go together.

It sounds, though, like the soapstone is hitting a chord with your vision...and that's what counts!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

zinc might look pretty cool. It would be less $$, vintageish, and in reference to what rhome eluded to; might be a little softer/visually lighter look. Soapstone would absolutely work too.

• mythreesonsnc
    15 years ago

So glad to have found you all! Your kitchen will be gorgeous. I have used that granite in a previous kitchen. The "cranberries" in it would look nice with the red island. I agree with many of the posts about soapstone though, it is such a beautiful combo with the choices you have already made. Will love to follow your progress as you are way ahead of my selection process and you have made (or are debating) all of the same choices. I think the beams, flooring, combined with the red will be stunning. Can't wait to see more!!!

• eandhl
    15 years ago

labradoodlemom, how is your plan coming? I just wanted to mention if you find the colors you want in a piece of furniture or paint chip of a different company other companies can copy. We used all BM oil satin impervo but the red was a Ralph color.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Didn't read all the replies, but my neighbor has a combination very similar to what you posted. It all works well. I think it's a good combination for you. How neat to be working with an older home and keeping/updating its character!

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

Another vote for the soapstone!! It would be perfect. Read up on honed granite here - I got scared away from it (and back to my original plan of soapstone) after hearing about spots, water rings, sealing, blah blah.

You could do a different material on your island - maybe wood?

• labradoodlemom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I've done some research and found out that the soapstone would be about DOUBLE what I got quoted for my granite. Sadly, that just won't fit in the budget, especially after my splurge farmhouse sink! But, I'm starting to think such a creamy neutral granite as a perimeter backdrop will definately be downplayed by the red island and dark wood countertop on the island. So, compromise I must!

Here's my latest inspiration picture! LOVE the red island look!

• mythreesonsnc
    15 years ago

This red island is also awesome! As far as the counters are concerned, I totally agree with Rhome -- the one you have chosen will pull it all together, but the soapstone is beautiful with this combo too. In another thread is a kitchen posted that has a countertop I have never seen - called Richlite. Is looks like soapstone in the pictures. Has anybody ever seen / used it? The title of the thread is Mostly Finished white / chocolate galley by smilingjudy. Might be worth checking out? What are you planning for appliances, light fixtures and plumbing fixtures?

• timber.j
    15 years ago

This is a helpful thread! I am almost ready to commit to a red island, too, although our perimeter cabinets will be quartersawn white oak. I have a feeling we will be doing some readjusting too, as far as soapstone goes...I think I like having a mixture of countertops anyway.