Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kek10

What countertop EDGE do you have?

Kek10
11 years ago

I've been looking at countertop threads, and it seems there are a lot of "plain" edges (pencil, bullnose, bevel).

We are going for single Ogee with our granite (Top Star, which no one seems to have/heard of! ;). Should we go with something more subtle? I'm sure we have time to change if we want, we're a month+ out from demo never mind granite fabrication.

Please include your type/name of countertop, too!

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Salmon Falls Cabinetry
    11 years ago

Ogee is fine. I would not go with bullnose because any liquid that gets spilled wicks right around and lands on the cabinetry.

Pencil edge IMO is timeless. Ogee is alright, there's nothing wrong with it.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

I personally love ogee. I have it on the counter in my basement bathroom. It is a little more formal look (In my opinion), in my Master bath that we're doing right now, think I'm going to do a simple pencil edge, as I'm going simple and modern. Your fabricator hopefully will be able to let you know whether your particular granite is suitable for ogee--I know it is more prone to chips, etc. so for some of the more fragile/delicate granites it is not recommended.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I had an ogee edge on my granite in my last kitchen. Hated it. It chipped and created another surface to keep clean.

• Holly- Kay
    11 years ago

I love the Ogee edge. It is my favorite. My granite fabricator swayed me away from it as it is more easily chipped. I am going with the pencil edge instead and I know I will be happy with it,

• buildinva
    11 years ago

I love bullnose and was planning on that. Is it really a problem with liquids running down?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Does an eased edge also wick around onto the cabinets below, anyone know? How is an eased edge with chipping?

This edge is what commonly comes with many granite/marble offers in our area (along with the D sink, which won't work as I'm getting a rectangular 30" to 33" under-mount single sink).

Thank you.

• taggie
    11 years ago

You might also want to check out the thread linked below, it also has a variety of opinions on ogee and other edge profiles.

Here is a link that might be useful: ogee edge vs others?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thanks taggie.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

We are going for an eased edge. We will have simple lines - slab doors.

Ogee is pretty in the right applications...our kitchen would look terrible with a fancy edge. But with the right cabinetry, I think it looks good. When talking with fabricators, many of them warned that the fancier edges with sharper corners do tend to chip more and also warned that some granite won't take/hold a fancy edge well. I believe (although I can't swear 100%) that it had to do with a higher mica content in some we were looking at.

• mdmc
    11 years ago

We have pencil edge. My cabinets have a lot going on. I did not want to take away from them. By the way MY perception of bull nose is that it is more for a contemporary kitchen.

• mark_rachel
    11 years ago

We went the crescent edge. The ogee is too fancy/formal for our house. We wanted a little something more than the pencil edge, so we went with the crescent. We really didn't like the bullnose because it takes so much granite away from the edge, so it makes the granite look much thinner than it actually is. We have giallo portafino granite.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Eased edge on the perimeter.

Long Ogee on the island.

oh, and my counters are Super White (in this house). Did the same thing in last kitchen but with Bianco Antico.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Blue pearl granite, ogee edge on perimeter. Statuary marble, ogee edge on island. LOVE ogee! Would really like a double ogee. Might try that in the master bath!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Here's the blue pearl with the ogee edge.

• realism
    11 years ago

Ogee always struck me as putting form above function. Try sweeping crumbs off an ogee edge. I think its better suited to a bathroom.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Agree with andreak. I have eased, both for ease of cleaning (sweeping crumbs) and because the simpler lines suited my kitchen's style.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Plain "eased edge" ... matches the counter edge closely

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think it depends on the style of the kitchen. Ogee tends to be more formal/traditional.

• PRO
    Salmon Falls Cabinetry
    11 years ago

That island is gorgeous. What is the color of that?

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

I don't have any trouble with crumbs.

Thanks Kent! Our island is Sherwin Williams naval.