Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czarinalex

Franke Orca Sink?

czarinalex
11 years ago

Does anyone have this sink... It's got a lip on it to put a shelf on. Do you use the shelf?

Comments (34)

• texasgal47
    11 years ago

Marisa99, you ask a great question, especially since this is a pricey item. I own the grids for both sides but only use the one for the right. For me it is used daily, at almost every meal, as an additional "counter" to keep messies off of the counter, floor and cabinet fronts. For example, this a.m. the coffee basket and coffee were set on the upper grid to measure the coffee out into the basket. Then a bowl was set on it and ingredients for pancakes measured into the bowl. To maintain a hygenic area for meal prep, the grids are transferred to the counter so the sink can be washed after every meal and often dried. At night the grids are also wiped down and dried so they remain clean. Much to my own surprise, the upper grid is almost never used as a dish rack as I had anticipated. The Franke grids are so robust that plates, bowls, cookie sheets, pans are propped against cross pieces of the bottom grid and leaned against an edge of the counter at the top of the sink to drain. The upper grid is removed prior to washing. The granite surrounding the sink is cut with a zero radius (per Franke instructions), meaning the edge of the granite continues straight down as one straight line with the side of the sink. This makes for easy removal of the grids. One final thought since this is a single bowl sink. Progress International makes a plastic 15" collapsible tub which is a perfect fit for the left side for those times when you want to keep things washed up as a meal is being prepared. It collapses to just 1.8" high and is easy to collapse or expand. I apologize for all the detail. As you can tell, the Franke sink and grids are one of the favorite parts of my remodel.

• realism
    11 years ago

I can't comment on the usefulness of the lip/upper grid but I can tell you that I don't see how this feature justifies and extra $400. Its your money to spend but I think most would agree $400 could be better spent elsewhere.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

I agree with Texasgal47 ... the Franke "ledge" and grids are incredibly handy. My sink is the Oceania, a large single bowl with the integrated ledge. I use the half grid and keep it on the right side of the sink all the time ... it has a million and one uses! I got the full size bottom grid as well, but don't use it much and keep it under the sink except for the times that I am doing a lot of cooking. Some of the Franke sinks have a plastic accessory bowl available which fits over the edge of the granite so the bowl is suspended over one side of the sink, effectively turning a single bowl sink into a double bowl. I have one of those as well, and it has a little plug in the bottom so I can use it for doing dishes. It, too, stores easily under the sink. Franke also makes their sinks available without the ledges as an option, but really, they are so handy and functional, I can't imagine not having it now. The finish of the Franke stainless is also very, very nice.

Realism, I'm pretty sure there wasn't a $400 price increase for the integrated ledge, and in any event, the price I paid at the plumbing fixture store was much less than MSRP.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 23:06

• realism
    11 years ago

The sink seems to sell for $600-$800. Is there anything that sets this sink apart from a stainless undermount sink without a ledge? I don't dispute the usefulness of the ledge, I just question whether it is worth such a high price tag. Seems like most of the function of the ledge can be replicated at a much lower cost by doing things like putting a strainer in the sink. Might not work as great but it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Texasgal and jellytoast!
    I have to replace our old Franke double bowl sink which was damaged when we had our 'kitten flood'.
    The orca really caught my eye in the store because it seems like you have some of the advantages of a double sink but all the advantages of a single bowl sink.

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

If you can live without the ledge, mrdirect has an Orca knockoff for well south of $200 and in either 16 or 18 gauge options.

• elle0221
    11 years ago

I have this sink also. Love it, have 2 grids: bottom and right hand side. They are always there unless I am cleaning the sink. Just like Texasgal I use the right side grid all the time. Can you survive without it?...sure, but the question was if we found it useful. I do. I got mine at Grand Central Plumbing (my KD recommended the place) for a little over 500. The only thing to be aware of...it's 18 gauge, not 16....if it matters.

• hsw_sc
    11 years ago

I've had mine for two years now and I'd pick it again if I were to move.

I have both the right and left ledges that are coated (and the uncoated sink grid), but use the right side ledge almost exclusively now. I bought the coated ledges because I use them as my drying racks as most of the things that I dry here are wine glasses and other more breakable items.

As a side note, the Franke racks are heavy-duty, which is a major plus in my book.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

"Is there anything that sets this sink apart from a stainless undermount sink without a ledge?"

Yes ... it is the ledge that sets it apart from other sinks. IMHO, this really is a case where form and function come together beautifully. If there were other less expensive sinks that offered the ledge and shelf option, I would have considered them, but as far as I know, Franke is the only company that offers it. I am fortunate in that I live close to a Franke showroom where I was able to view all of their sinks and sink accessories, set up in actual countertops. After seeing it in person, I could see that the integrated ledge and shelf system isn't just a gimmick, but is rather an extremely useful and convenient feature, and it looks nice enough that it can be left in place all the time. And after using it in my kitchen, I think that it is money well spent. Maybe other manufacturers will catch on and start offering something similar on their lines for less money.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:49

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also saw the sink in a showroom set in granite with the right side shelf in place. Kept coming back to it. I think I found my new sink! Now for the faucet....

• Lori Ryan
    10 years ago

I absolutely LOVE my Orca sink. I do use the shelf to dry items and I picked it because I wanted to gain more counter space by getting rid of my drying rack that sat on the counter. . This functions wonderfully.

I got this sink online for way below what it was in any showroom. I found the cheapest price online. (two year ago I paid $564.00) and contacted Faucets Direct to ask if they would honor the lowest price and they did! I also got the free shipping! The gentleman on the other end of the phone said, " We are not making one penny on this." Oh well....

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

nycbluedevil ... too funny! :-)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the coated grids are coated with? I want to buy the grids, but can't figure out what type of coating it is to decide if I want coated or not!

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

Buy uncoated grids. The sink looks prettier with gleaming grids, and for the life of me, I can't see what purpose the coated grids are suppose to serve. Nothing has chipped using the uncoated ones at my house.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

The Orca was the first sink I saw, but I decided I needed a single bowl rectangle so I can't comment on Orca but I can say I think the quality of Franke sinks are FAR removed from the builder grade SS we are used to seeing. I have PSX1103012-pricey for me but the best sink I could ever want.
    I'm not saying you would do this but I wouldn't buy any knockoffs or any that are sold at Lowes, only from an authorized dealer online or elsewhere.
    nycdevil--don't feel bad, I had a top mount freezer for years before I discovered bottom mount models. No one around me had one so I never knew how comfortable it is to have the freezer below. I just suffered for years with frozen chops falling on me when ever I opened the freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowe's sink problem

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Yeah, I checked all the online authorized dealers and ended up with contractor pricing from our local showroom. I don't want the headache of a problem and not having warranty coverage. I'm definitely the "if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all" type of person! Hence the Great Sink Freakout and sudden change from silgranite to Orca.

I must say though, I'm glad I bought the sink so late in the process. After buying the cabinets, flooring, and most of the other things, it was only mildly gut wrenching to pony up that much for a sink! I decided DH and I would really love the Orca, so I went for it.

I'm definitely leaning toward uncoated racks, but I still can't figure out what the coating is.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Go for the uncoated racks ... they look great in the sink and they are very durable. Whatever the coating is, it will likely peel or chip off in time.

• EATREALFOOD
    10 years ago

and for others reading this...Barkeepersfriend works great to keep the stainless gleaming.

• dretutz
    10 years ago

Don't have the Orca with ledges, but do have a Franke sink and echo what others have said. The price bump is not the ledge, it is the quality of the SS and the soundproofing of Franke.

Love my deep single bowl.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Eatrealfood, the powder or liquid BKF? I'll add some to my next Amazon order to have on hand.

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

williamsem, the coating is clear, very thick (will not disintegrate like my experience with Kohler coated racks) and unnoticeable (not sure what it is made of, though). As I said before, I use the coated upper grids for drying out glasses and other non-DW items. I LOVE the coated grids. Honestly, you cannot tell which is coated and which isn't unless you touch them, they look exactly the same. They also look just as good as the uncoated ones 2+ years later.

LOVE my uncoated bottom grid, too. The bottom grid had to be cleaned every so often with a toothbrush to get some of the gunk off of it because it is in constant use and constantly wet (I do not dry out my sink like some others do).

In the end, go with what suits YOU and your sink use.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Does anyone foresee a problem with our right rear wall water outflow pipe being 8" from cabinet base bottom and this 10" Orca? The air trap is just to right of central drain. Need an Insinkerator 3/4 hp compact pro to be added below too, with a high loop system for DW on left.

Looks like an answer to decades of drying rack on counter and love the design. Thanks.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I almost wish I had gone with a SSS because of the Orca! I have a Franke SS at my other house and it is a very good quality I sure would love to get away from the darn drying racks on the counter too because my hard water leaves unsightly mineral stains on the tray part! Hoping that the whitehaven is large enough to put my draining rack inside the sink!

• czarinalex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The coating on the grids will melt if you put a hot pot down on it. I learned the hard way. I replaced the coated grid with the stainless one on my old franke sink.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

This sink seems amazing! Just a silly question for people that have it. If you use the rack for drying dishes, does the water spray or splash them if say, someone washes their hands in the sink while the dishes are there? Or do you immediately dry the dishes and put them away?

I was thinking of the Elkay low divide sink and I'm hesitant because of water splashing into the second bowl. My brain hurts from making this sink decision. I need to take the plunge soon. My DH thinks I've lost my mind with all of the agonizing over small details.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

For those who have this sink, might you discuss your faucet choice? How did you come to choose it and why?

I see the faucet placement most probably goes on the rear right of curve. How is the reach to the drain on the left side? Any faucet type you'd advise in particular? A high arc with spray? Any you might not recommend for this layout?
    Thank you.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

RKB I just think this sink looks amazing and if my cabs were not already being made I would change my Kohler Whitehaven to this! It really looks like a work horse and also very easy on the eyes!

• hsw_sc
    10 years ago

Marissa99 The coating on the grids will melt if you put a hot pot down on it.

Yep. That's exactly why I got the uncoated bottom grid for hot pots and draining hot water for pasta, etc.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I'm going with the Kohler Simplice because I like the look, I can put the handle in front, and it gets great reviews from those here that have it. And i can afford it. Many other faucets i liked were much more. I did see one old thread with the Orca and Simplice, but the pics were a bit dark and no feedback on the combo :-(

• katyde
    10 years ago

I hate my SS double bowl sink. It was a huge mistake even though the quality is fine. It's impossible to lay a frying pan or cookie sheet in it to soak when I need to... It is an "artisan" brand double bowl sink that is almost exactly the same size/shape as the orca, and as it is mounted in granite we are stuck with this hole size.
    I just ordered (for $10 from Franke) a cutout template for the orca to see if it will fit here, even if it is not totally perfectly lined up. If it works I am getting it and will post pics before/after!!!

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Katyde, the Orca comes undermount or over mount, so you may have a little flexibility in using the existing hole. Be sure to ask about both!

My grids arrived today! Got the uncoated bottom and right side rack. Also the drainer that sits over the right side. So excited about this sink, DH thinks I'm nuts!

• cynm
    10 years ago

We, too, are in the middle of a kitchen remodel. I feel in love with the Franke Orca (if it is possible to fall for a sink). I had the double bowl for the last 12 years (contractor grade) and cleanup was awful when trying to scrub turkey roasting pans and lasagne pans. I searched for months for the perfect sink. It is worth every penny. As others have said, by buying it online you can save hundreds of dollars after the showroom places. I think this is my favorite part of the soon-to-be new kitchen! The other main reason for choosing this oversized one bowl sink was that i was tired of looking at the dish drain on the counter. With granite counters coming in, I'd rather have fine washables on a rack inside the sink! Everyone on this site has been so helpful.

• kit730
    10 years ago

Background:

We're doing a kitchen remodel and need to make some sink decisions.

I loved the Franke Orca when I saw it because it seemed really well made and I loved the grid because I thought it will very useful for draining pasta or wash/dry vegetables & fruits. The price seemed steep. In the meanwhile a friend suggested Blanco Silgranit. I liked that too, however I could find good accessories for draining washed vegetables (didn't like the basket). So I'm thinking of going with the Orca even though it is almost double the price.

My questions -

1) With the Orca sink, if I use the grid on the right, where should the soap dispenser be. In the pictures and displays I've seen, it is on the right side. But if I'm using the right side shelf, should the soap dispenser be on the left? Because if the soap is the right I'll be wetting the things that are draining/drying on the right shelf? Can people who are using the sink please comment on where you think the soap dispenser should be?

2. Should I get the bottom grid as well? Do you find it useful or is it actually not needed?

3. Any thoughts on Franke Orca Vs. Blanco Silgranit?

Thanks much.