Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Favorite reno cocktail that made this madness tolerable for you

breezygirl
13 years ago

Reading Joy's thread about getting through the first week of reno without booze made me laugh. Seems most of us couldn't/wouldn't survive the horrendous process of a kitchen remodel without alcohol of some sort. Swhite10 posted a great drink called Lizard on a Mattress that I MUST try.

Here's my fave of late.

Melon Ball

1 part vodka

1 part melon schnapps

4 parts orange juice

What did you drink or are you drinking to ease the stress of your reno?

Comments (25)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

A well-made Mickey Slim is an effective foil to a recalcitrant contractor. The pinch of DDT gives it a "kick".
    Casey

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

That sounds good! I usually just pour Bailey's on ice because it's so easy. I must say to sombreuil: that sentence was very well crafted.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Prior to the Remodel I drank once a month. Now I seem to need it every night. Two Reliable Cocktails:

Dirty Martini (vodka) with Blue Cheese Stuffed Olives
    Orange Flavored Vodka w/ 7 - Up and an Orange Slice

Or any red wine.

It's 5 O'clock Some Where, Right? That's my cue.

• cfire
    13 years ago

Ah hahahaha 10K Diamond!

My recipe? A plain old ice cold beer in a recyclable bottle or can. I've found that it serves as an excellent ice pack for the headaches, too. Ultimately hits the spot and makes for an easy clean up. :) Cheers!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

wine, wine, and more wine!

(though I usually love having a melon ball or something similar whenever we go to a Japanese Teppanyaki or hibachi-style restaurant)

:-)

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Sam Light in the official Sam Adams glass. I had to laugh at 10K's response. What was once an occasional beer on a Friday night... I now find I am looking forward to my friend Sam a little too often!! I keep wanting to learn how to make a Patron margarita on the rocks, but I am very afraid!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

COFFEE!!!

• adel97
    13 years ago

Wine on tap.

Need I say more?

Back Box label Cabernet in particular. Cheap and quite drinkable.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Margarita on the rocks (no mixer stuff, that's too sweet for me). It is 3 shots Tequila (Milagro silver is great for margaritas) 2 shots orange liquor (Couintreu, Grand Marnier or that Patron one), and 1 fresh lime squeezed. Shake well with ice. (now you can try it yellowdog and you are right to be afraid :)

I'm dying to find those blue cheese stuff olives for the dirty vodka martini too. Thanks 10K!

And red red wine...

Note the wine bottles in this mid-reno picture (along with the take out containers and the generally grumpy cat).

But we survived.

(no the backsplash isn't green, I just can't seem to get a photo right with the LED undercab lights).

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Can I just add that now that my marble counter top is installed I find vodka a "safer" drink than red wine.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Pomagranate Martinis!!

1 c pom juice
    1/4 c vodka
    1/4 c cointreau
    dash of fresh lime

shake with ice

Of course, this is only for the anti oxidants

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marcydc, Does Kitty have any health issues?
    You know you moved his cheese!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Coffee during the day. We moved out for our renos to a new neighbourhood and so then it was checking out the wine list when checking out the new restaurants.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

We won't be doing our reno for probably a couple of years, but I've been on Vicoden this weekend (abcessed tooth--waiting to go to endodontist on Monday). This has been my first experience with Vicoden and I have to say, it definitely takes the pain away (of course, everything is hazy). This could be useful in a reno . . . (just kidding).

My drink of choice will be Southern Comfort or a glass of wine.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Yum Yum! It all sounds so tasty!! I'm going to get some of those margaritas in a pouch tomorrow since my blender is mia. That's my drink of choice. And maybe some light beer.. that's always refreshing. I can count on DH to leave both of those alone. He prefers his beer thick and black.

Coffee this week will be helpful too. I broke my carafe, so we didn't have any coffee at home this week. The replacement is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Oh and the kids will go back to school. It was spring break last week. I know, that was really stupid on our part!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Sangria or imported beer. No muss, no fuss. Margaritas go down too easy and waking up early is part of what is killing me (and staying up late painting, lol). I am not willing to pay the price the next morning, so I stick to 1 drink at most and sadly, only 1 or 2 times a week because I usually get back to work after dinner. I'd have trouble cutting in if I were tipsy, lol... I do think about drinking more and wish I could ;)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Live in St. Paul? Go get whatever's on the coupon special at Morelli's! This week we've got a case of Marietta Old Vine #53 and some Brewer's Cave beer.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

So, you picked the countertops to go with the cat? or the other way around? He doesn't seem impressed...

• billp1
    13 years ago

Cocktail hour was moved back one hour to 4PM to make it last longer. Wine was OK for us..

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

@Sharonite -- we love Black Box! (And have had quite a few other "nice" boxed wines -- my wonderful SIL introduced me to them at the shore, and we've had fun trying different brands).

My cocktail/drinks of choice --
    coffee by morning (Wawa coffee - if you're not in the Northeast, that probably makes no sense to you)

Barry's Gold Tea in the afternoon,

Guinness or red wine (often boxed) at night when necessary to fuel cabinet, appliance, or countertop debate sessions.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Last year we purchased a Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker. My dh wasn't keen on the idea of frozen 'ritas, but after one sip, he was hooked. I know they are expensive, but oh boy, there is now way to achieve this otherwise! It shaves the ice before blending.

The margarita we have fallen in love with is a Cactus Pear Margarita. Oh, it is heavenly. Even had to buy the cactus pear syrup and have it shipped. I have a case in the basement.

And as for wine, it was always around when we were renovating. A friend so kindly bought me a special wine glass, it holds 750 ml--yep an entire bottle of wine fits. So cute.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

pinch_me, yes he does have hypothyroidism, 2x daily meds (compounded into a cat treat which he loves so that's not too hard to deal with). He's about to turn 18! One interesting thing that remodeling did for him - he no longer fears strangers. He just looks at them with this good grief not again look on his face and goes back to sleep. He used to run for a good hiding place at the sound of the door bell.

And, weed, the countertops do pretty much match the cat, although he doesn't have any shiny black pieces or fools gold in him. He's very much in love with the prep sink faucet too. There was another thread here that had some cats matching the granite. Pretty funny.

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Marcydc, I will be trying that margarita this weekend.
    Yumm!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marcydc, give him a snuggle from me for his birthday. 18. Good job!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Marcydc,
    He is adorable. I love his gentle demeanor and now that
    you describe him, I can see the photo matches his personality. Sweet.

Breezy,

I go for the chocolate first and add alcohol if the
    chocolate doesn't work.

Here is my favorite....

White Chocolate Nutty Martini
    2oz. vodka
    1 oz. Amerretto
    1 oz. Half and Half
    1 oz. Dove white Chocolate Martini Mix
    A swirl of chocolate syrup

Chocolate Ameretto Cake

Chocolate Amerretto Mousse