Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolverine2_gw

Anyone have a farmhouse sink and soapstone?

wolverine2
11 years ago

I thought I had our kitchen all worked out, but we were at IKEA today and looked at the single domsjo farmhouse sink and I kind of liked it. But what seems to look best with it in pictures is wood countertops. Like I would have to re-think my whole kitchen around the sink.

I really love the look of soapstone, and was going to do white cabinets w/ soapstone and an undermount SS sink. What I'm trying to figure out is if the domsjo would look ok with the soapstone- and the domsjo is not undermount. One reason the domsjo appeals to me is that we only have room for a 24" sink cabinet, and the domsjo would be a bigger sink than we could fit in undermount.

Does anyone have soapstone countertops and a white farmhouse sink? Does that sink just look better with wood countertops?

Comments (18)

• prospect711
    11 years ago

We have soapstone counters and a soapstone sink that our fabricator built.

• wolverine2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooh, thanks for that picture- those are the cabinets I'm thinking about too, so that's perfect. I think it looks great. DH doesn't like the undermounted farmhouse sink, but I'll show him that picture and maybe I can convince him.

Do you think it would look bad if it were not undermounted?

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

I really prefer the Domsjo sink not undermounted, to be honest -- the lines seem to work best when it's top or flush-mounted:

{{!gwi}}

• wolverine2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I had found some of those pictures but not all... I do think it would look good. I just have to decide now whether I want to go with that or just an undermount stainless steel.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I think it looks great either way. I personally prefer undermount sinks for ease of wiping crumbs in, but for looks it does look great either way.

• prill
    11 years ago

I have soapstone, white farmhouse sink and white cabinets.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Wolverine, I'm also looking at a farmhouse sink with soapstone. I've never seen that one-thanks for posting it.

Circuspeanut and all: is it easier to not undermount this sink than undermount it, and does it then allow easier replacement if it chips etc? Not saying they do, just asking in case.

I wonder what weight the Domsjo sink is, and what sink base size it requires. It's a nice overall look with the soapstone!

• crl_
    11 years ago

The IKEA sink is not meant to be undermounted. It will be easier to install and replace, if that would ever be necessary, not undermounted. If you decide to undermount it, I would be very careful about how to build the cabinet support system for it. Also note that undermounting it would make it a farther reach to the bottom. Up to you whether that's good or bad.

We had the single dmosjo and it was a great sink! And it would look fabulous with soapstone.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Sparkling, I suspect it's easier to replace a non-undermounted sink, since you can lift it out rather than having to undo some cabinetry and cut/slide it out. But it depends on how it's built in to the cabinet, I believe.

Caveat: the Donsjo is so easy to use as an overmount because you just need two straight edges of counter on each side; note that you'd have to find a similar model sink for replacement, and not just any drop-in topmount. Most require a square/oval cutout.

Also note that undermounting it would make it a farther reach to the bottom. Up to you whether that's good or bad.

I will say that this is a more crucial consideration than I'd realized, and because we didn't like the depth of our last farm sink when undermounted - it was 9" deep + 2" of counter, simply too deep to be comfortable) we are now looking for a shallower version for the new kitchen.

• wolverine2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

prill, that's really beautiful. What kind of sink is it? Yours looks better undermounted than the domsjo, I think because of the lack of "lip". Price will probably keep us at the domsjo though, and we'll probably drop-in.

Would also love faucet ideas for farmhouse sinks- we can't go too high. I also know the domsjo has only one hole (though I know others have drilled more).

SparklingWater- the single domsjo goes in a 24" sink cabinet. There's also a double.

• prill
    11 years ago

Thanks wolverine2. My sink is a Franke 24" (Villeroy and Boch). I got it on ebay from Quality Bath.

My daughter has the double domsjo. I use it quite a bit. They top mounted it... very functional.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your replies and again not trying to highjack the thread, wolverine2.

I'm looking at semi-custom cabinets and will need to see their sink base specs to see if they require a square/oval cutout, or can accommodate a Domsjo. I don't have a problem with the over-mount and like that it's not as deep. It certainly might simplify some of the soapstone fabrication, especially if such becomes DIY job.

• wolverine2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SparklingWater, here is the IKEA cabinet that it goes in... dont know if that might help?

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA single domsjo base cabinet

• wolverine2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

prill, one more question... Is your tile on the greenish side? I saw a soft green tile in a magazine that I loved and thought it might go well with soapstone.

• crl_
    11 years ago

We had two holes in our dmosjo. We sold that house, but I know it must have been super easy to get that second hole because otherwise I would remember the hassle. I almost think it comes with one hole and two spots you can just tap out additional holes? We put a soap dispenser through our second hole.

We had zero issues with ours, but I know some people bought an extra because the install is pretty unique and IKEA does discontinue things sometimes and they are so cheap that buying an extra just to store isn't a big expense.

• prill
    11 years ago

Yes, its Winchester Tile from England - the color is Sudbury.
    http://www.winchestertiles.com/range.php?c=37&r=67#.

Sorry the color doesn't come through very well in these pics.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Thanks wolverine2- I made a note.