Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poorowner_gw

quartz/stone counter undelayment thickness?

PoorOwner
14 years ago

I was talking to the kitchen countertop shop owner, not the fabricator. They told me to put 5/8" plywood as the underlayment to install 2cm quartze on top, doubled up for the edge. I always thought plywood is instlled by the fabricator, but apparently not?

I do more thinking, 2CM is 0.7874 inches. So it's actually over 3/4" a little.

next, I think lowe's 3/4" plywood is actually a little less than 3/4", so I think you would never see the plywood even if 3/4" ply is used as the underlayment..

5/8" plywood might have the stone rubbing my drawer doors.

I am asking because I bought my 3/4" ply long ago thinking that is the thickness I need, can I still use that plywood?

Comments (6)

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I see, forgot about the glue.
    You are clearly a company/fabricator..
    Can you tell me if it is my responsibility (DIY install cabinet) to provide and fabricate the plywood? I wouldn't even know how deep to to cut the plywood front to back.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

If you are having your countertops fabricated - just request that your
    contractor include it in his bid - BUT - IF YOU are installing the cabinets -
    they'd better be level - as in TOTALLY FLAT - using a 6 or 8 foot straight edge level to check 'em - otherwise
    most guys will not do the install unless they are - either YOU fix 'em - or
    I will - and that will cost you - regardless of who's doing it....

IF you are putting in your own subtops - use 5/8" ACX grade plywood -
    screwed to the cabinet frames - cut flush with the face of the cabinet -
    covering everything back to the walls.....

hth

kevin

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Our GC put the plywood on and I remember seeing 5/8" stamped on it. As Kevin said, ours was cut flush to the frame and screwed into the cabinets. We have full overlay drawers, so the granite ended up a bit past the drawers.

Not our granite, but this is how our edge looked, with the extra piece laminated underneath. You can see how it would sit on the plywood and extend over the edge. I don't know if this is the standard way it's done. We did have some plywood showing under the overhang where the barstools are. We stained it the same as the cabinets to blend in.

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Nice looking edge there Julie - Here in AZ - we call that a "Crescent" edge...

One thing to make sure of too - when the stone is installed over the subtops -
    the wood should NEVER be cut tight to the stone.

THERE SHOULD BE A 1/4" GAP between the edge of the plywood and the
    back edge of the lamination. No gap and you'll be sure to have fracturing
    all along that line. I had to go look at a BEAUTIFUL kitchen project that
    was all fractured up - because the plywood was too tight up against
    the back edge of the lamination - shame too - it was a DOUBLE OGEE
    edge detail - in Labrador Antique - the job was a total loss - all because
    the knuckelhead cutting the sub tops was too lazy to cut the plywood a little
    small - so there would have been a gap between the stone and the plywood...

but no.......

anyways.....

again

hth

kevin

• PoorOwner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, thanks for the tips, in your picture, do you have 1/4" gap there? It looks very close the plywood and granite edge. Could be the angle of the picture, though.

The section I am working on is 93 inches just short of 8 feet. 30"+30"+30" cabs, The middle 30 is a 4" drawer that is like a desk you can sit in. I am a little worried about it, but then dishwashers are one big 24" bridge also. As least I have a tiny 4" high cab hanging in between. As long as no one sits on it, I hope. As far as flatness, I am doing my best. In your picture, did you not show us that you will spread the dabs of glue? Or is that how it goes on? hopefully if I get the whole surface flat within 1/16th inch or less, it will balance out any voids.

for the plywood do you put the "A" side up? I am not sure if I can find ACX in my local stores.. What's the importance of ACX, waterproof and less voids I am guessing?

Julie, thanks for the pic also, I also want that kind of edge.. I was told it's called baldwin edge.. many names for similar things I guess.