Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan2121_gw

Pictures of my new kitchen!

joan2121
13 years ago

Finally some pictures and a chance to tell all of you at GW how grateful I am for all the help I got on this forum. It all started by looking at your pictures. And I became TKO! Since we were doing a complete remodel- removing walls and putting in all new windows and doors, I needed lots of help! We started in October and were up and running by the Holidays, but needed a few cabinet doors and misc stuff before I felt finished.

My husband did a lot of the work himself. The first biggy was the windows to the counter, bumped out - I never would have known about that.So many of you helped me decide on how to do that. Buehl even told us HOW to do it!! Nine feet of windows and no uppers on the sides of the sink?? DH thought I was crazy, but I was able to show him so many pictures that you guys posted.

I still need some decorating, and the backsplash (which you can see over the range) I am doing creme white subway with crackle.

I love the dining area table, but not too crazy about the chairs- We got it at High Point NC and the chairs came with it. What do you all think? Would 4 Windsor or Parson be better and just use the black arm chairs for the ends? The light over the table was in the house, and we just put it up until I get one. What kind do you think would look good?

Thank you!

I know how much your pictures meant to me when I was planning, so hope mine help some one else.

What's in my kitchen thanks to GW advice!

Never empty soap dispenser

Franke orca sink: Love the removable grid

Air switch

Lee Valley drawer dividers

Cabinets are Kraftmaid Garrison in Canvas: Love all pull outs, Blum motion, and drawers!

KA Dishwasher

KA CD refrigerator

GE Monogram range, hood and 240V Advantium

Granite is Giallo Ornamental

Paint color: BM Bennington Gray (looks green by the windows, it's more light the other side)

Comments (99)

• megpie77
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful. I love the layout. I especially love the area where your coffee machine is. How clever and convenient! The room off the kitchen is beautiful too. Spectacular job!

• dretutz
    12 years ago

Love, love, love this space. WOW. The view into the great (family) room is also fantastic. Wonderful.

• Krisall
    12 years ago

So glad to see this as we are putting in a Kraftmaid, Dove white kitchen/bar area in two weeks!! Nantucket, we picked Dove white also to get that real fresh look. Both are beautiful-can't go wrong! Would you let me know which faucet you went with? Thanks for sharing!!

• annettacm
    12 years ago

joan, I, for one, would love to get info on your table research. That table is exactly what I've been looking for and of COURSE it's discontinued, because that is my luck! :) Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated; steer me in a direction!

I will email you if it's okay, so you have my email. Not sure if I have it turned on on my page.

BEAUTIFUL kitchen... I'm so inspired by all of it!!! (and I rarely remark on finished kitchens.. not sure why; maybe everyone already says what I want t say, but I love this!) Saving to my favs!!!

Thanks!!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

annetta,
    Thank you, I am so happy with my kitchen. A few more finishing touches- like counter stools and rugs. Then on to the bookshelves in the den!
    Sure, email me. I googled trestle tables and found a few, plus I went to Ethan Allen and they had one I liked, except the table top was thinner. I think Ballard has one also, but may not have the leaves. I'll collect my notes for you.
    Joan

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

It's a pretty kitchen and congratulations for the great work!

If you do not mind sharing, can you please post the dimensions of your entire great room?

Thanks in advance!!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Krissall, the faucet is Kohler Vannetta. It's great. The only thing I don't like about it is that it always comes on in the spray mode. You have to push the little button on the pull down to change it to stream. But, not a big problem-
    You'll love your cabinets! Be sure to post pictures!

Homey, From the stove wall to the fireplace is 48 feet and wall to wall is 16 feet wide. When the area was demoed it looked like a bowling alley and I was very nervous!! There are several other kitchens posted on GW with half walls or pony walls to break up the run. I like that idea a lot, it defines the rooms. We just didn't do it cause I didn't want to walk around anything- and I couldn't make a decision at the time on where to put the walls or how how large to make the dining area. My idea at the time is "we can always do it later". Yeah, right! I said that a lot during the remodel when i couldn't make a decision. I have their pictures in my inspiration file- let me know if you want them.
    The kitchen area range to the end of the counters, is 16 x16. The island is 106" x 41". I did a lot figuring to make sure that there is enough room in walk ways. I am not sure I have the perfect "triangle" but it works fine for us. I love the big island and all the counter space.
    HTH
    Joan

• edmasbetsy
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is soooo beautiful. I am so excited, I have ordered Sonora Kraftmaid cabs in canvas and the same granite! It is so great to see it in your kitchen, takes some of the second guessing away and makes me less anxious. Please tell me more about your backsplash. I havent finalized that yet. Love your lights also, where did u get them?

• vickkig
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, light and airy, VERY classy! It's just beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

betsy,
    I love the combo of Canvas with the GO granite- I think you'll be happy with it. Like you, I got so excited when I saw someone else's kitchen similar to what I was planning- It's great to get that visual.
    I am currently looking for a "visual" for the grout on the backsplash. The tiles are subway, 3x6 Imperial Bianco Craz. They look kinda creamy white with a crackle running through. You can scroll over the tile to see the crackle on the web site, and the color is creamier than the picture. I am trying to decide whether to do a sand colored grout or off white. I don't want too much contrast- but do want some. I am about to do some experimenting....Lights are from Restoration Hardware, Clemson(?) small- 8 inch.
    Good luck on your remodel!
    Joan

Here is a link that might be useful: Imperial bianco craz

• shermp
    12 years ago

Joan2121 -
    I noticed your KA dishwasher and no airvent at your sink?? How did they install that w/o it? I hear there is a way but not sure the name. (high loop??)

• WALori
    12 years ago

Okay, I officially have kitchen envy. It's beautiful!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

Ridiculous amount of natural light! Wonderful. Love the paint on your cabs. What a wonderfully open floor plan. ENjoy!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone for all your comments! You are all so supportive! I still have stuff to do to get my kitchen ready for FKB. When I look at those they all seem like magazine pictures. I don't feel I'm there- and probably never will be! Your pictures are such an inspiration. I'll be back for counter stool advice :) Obviously the ones from our last kitchen don't match and I'll need 4. I also want to get a long runner.
    First dinner party this weekend- we'll see how it works to have 10 people around the island for hors d'oeuvres. luckily the trial group coming are good friends!
    Shermp, Sorry, no help. I don't know about the air gap- the plumber who helped my husband said we don't need one. I haven't noticed any in others pictures. There was lots of discussion on this forum and on the plumbing forum. Just google the question and you'll get lots of hits.

• edmasbetsy
    12 years ago

Thought I would offer some advice instead of a question. It was suggested to me that I use gray grout with white subway tiles??

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Your windows/views are marvelous! You really knew how to make the most of the natural assets ;)
    Everything flows so beautifully and feels so light and airy (I know others have said that, but they are so right, I had to say it too, lol).
    I love the light fixtures and how they add a touch of whimsy.

I think you will just have to get used to the idea that you live with a "magazine" type kitchen now.

• janeskitchen
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen, it is just lovely. I am planning a new kitchen right now and I was wondering if you have a layout plan you could post with dimensions? I would love to know if I can fit in the things you have and I am so visual, I need to see it in 3d. I appreciate you posting photos so much and find it so helpful.

Thanks!

• jmcgowan
    12 years ago

What a nice space! You must be thrilled, it looks beautiful, and it looks like your layout will function extremely well. You are so lucky that your husband was able to do most all of this, he did a great job. Congratulations!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

betsy, what perfect timing. DH just finished putting up one section of the backsplash- I love it! But, now I have to choose the grout. There are two samples in the pictures. I think the desert sand (darker one) will look like the wall looks now with just the spaces between the tiles.
    How can I decide??? I like the look, but afraid it will be too "different" and maybe I should go with the safer lighter grout (ivory). I think there will still be a contrast just not as noticeable. I picked out the sand and the guy at the tile store gave me the ivory. He said the sand would "stick out like a sore thumb". DH also prefers the lighter one also, but what doe they know???
    {{gwi:1545348}}
    {{gwi:1545349}}

{{gwi:1545350}}
    I am going to post on the forum again for help also. Thanks for you input!

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

janeskitchen,
    the over all space wall to wall is 16 feet x 16feet. Here is our floor plan.
    HTH,
    Joan

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

Thank you for letting me know about the dimensions. It definitely helps.

I think your space looks awesome; I too would not put any pony walls inbetween since that'd make the individual spaces even more separate and distant.

Once again, great work and great inspirational space!!

• edmasbetsy
    12 years ago

Did you decide on a grout color? I look at your pics everytime I start getting anxious about my choices (which is at least twice a day). I am going to try and post my b4 pics, we have started stripping wallpaper and formal demolition starts next week!!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful! I'm not usually a fan of that particular granite, but it's gorgeous with the canvas cabinets! Love what you did with the end of the island. I like that this isn't a cookie-cutter white kitchen...Lots of warmth, homey touches, and personality. The windows, the wall color, and tile are great choices.

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Betsy, I know either grout would be nice, but I am going with the lighter- it does not blend in but doesn't stand out. . As much as I like the look of the darker contrast, and appreciate all the feedback from Gw, i feel I don't want the grout to dominate the tile or area- the crackle is pretty, and I want it to stand out. Also, I feel "safer" with it. We are going away this weekend, so DH won't get it up until next week, but I'll post pictures of the stove area with it dark like the bar area and then again when it is complete so it may help you decide. As for the whole remodel, I had MANY sleepless nights, and MANY second thoughts througout the process.... I think that is just part of it.
    Rhome, Thank you! I felt the same about the GO granite- I thought it was too regular or common. First I was going with soapstone, then i liked costa emerlda (SP?), and on it went with several others (I could name granite that I saw on TV or in magazines!). But, when I took a cabinet door and a piece of our floor to the granite store, GO just seemed right to me, and now I am very happy with it.
    Once again I want to thank all the people on GW- you were so much help when I was making decisions. And, such great reading during those sleepless night!! Now I thank you again for all the compliments. I had our first dinner party for 10 this weekend (I bought parson chairs- table looks much better with both kinds of chairs). The space worked well for entertaining! I am a happy camper!

• sharon03
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is very nice. Can you please tell me what make and model (and size) your wine cooler is? And how did you get it to look built in?

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon,
    The wine cooler is by Avanti. It is a "built in" because you have to have a bottom vent if it is not a stand alone. Our cabinet space was 18inch, but the 18inch coolers were VERY expensive. Guess it is kinda custom. So, we just put a small filler of our cabinet material on each side. We got it on Amazon. We've had it about 4 months, and so far so good.

Here is a link that might be useful: wine cooler

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Hi

Love your kitchen. I'm getting the same hood but with a monogram cooktop. How did you get the shelf underneath and did you put the tile up behind it?

• summersucks
    12 years ago

so beautiful that I've clicked in this thread half a dozen times and have been too intimidated to post till now.

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sophie,
    You're going to love you new monogram cook top and hood! The picture you saw is before the backsplash went in. We got the shelf at Ikea- super cheap! My husband just screwed them into the subway tile. He used a heavy duty anchor on one side, and the other had a 2x4 in back of the tile, so just screwed it in. Still up, so guess it worked!
    My camera battery is dead- but if you need more pictures, just let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea shelf

• Dalo
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for posting these pictures!!! I had been considering the Garrison cabinets and stumbled across this site on a search for photos. You sold me! One question - did you do the inside of the glass cabinets in bead board or a plain finish? I sort of see lines inside on one picture, but maybe that's the glass.

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Dalo,
    No, we went with plain on the inside. Also, I also opted for the wood instead of glass shelves. I wanted the "line" to show-and because it's cheaper. I figured if I ever change my mind I will get glass. The glass in the doors is beveled- I love that.
    Good luck!
    Joan

• Dalo
    12 years ago

Thanks Joan,

My kitchen isn't nearly as large as yours, but it's been a long process of trying to decide exactly what I want to do. Never knew how stressed out I would get over this. So many details! We are working on some final tweeks and the cabinet order goes in this week. I've decided to go with a white "vintage" finish. Hopefully I will love it as much as I think I will!

• ttla
    12 years ago

Great job! You must be so pleased!

Can you tell me the size of your island? It looks perfectly sized and comfortable for the stools you have there.

• ellencrowe
    12 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, enjoy.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the shelf. I'm glad it wasn't a $300 part - I gotta check out Ikea more often.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Just beautiful! Great choices.

• melissastar
    12 years ago

S'wonderful! My favorite things are the plates, the color of the walls and the glass cabinets. Really well done.

• joan2121
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ttla,
    The island is 104 inches by 42 inches feet. I was afraid it was too large, but it is perfect! I am looking for stools. I love the ones that are there, but they are old and I can't find 2 more. Four will fit comfortably. The overhang is 15 inches so they had to brace it- but no problem.
    Dalo,
    My KD at Kraftmaid designed the bookshelf (it arrived in many pieces), the crown molding, furniture feet and added the bump out at bar sink. Just a few details you may be interested in. I think the little things that she did made it look more custom.
    HTHs
    Joan

• fullpass
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I'll be over for dinner soon! Kidding :)

Congratulations- you're going to be so happy there!

• kaysd
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks so bright and fresh and spacious - just lovely. I especially like the "beverage station" with the staggered glass front cabinets above, as well as the huge window.

• Yvonne B
    12 years ago

This is just beautiful!! Love you color choices, cabinets, and beverage station.

• DreamItCanBe
    12 years ago

Joan, I just saw your kitchen again on a paint request post. I want to thank you for posting your photos, as they were a huge influence on MY kitchen! I knew I wanted light cabinets, countertops, and backsplash but not in bright white. I also wanted to see examples of DIY crown with color matched paint, which I believe you did as well. Your photos and information were very informative!

I hope you're enjoying your new kitchen as much as I'm enjoying mine!

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: DreamItCanBe Kitchen

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

DreamItCanBe, what color are your cabinets? Love your kitchen also. Now I would like a sample door of the Canvas Color that Joan used since it looks so great with that Giallo Ornamental Granite!

• sunfeather
    12 years ago

Joan, I'm trying to find your backsplash tile. I know you posted that is is Imperial Bianco crackle but it looks so white on the tile site. Is there another name for the color and is "Imperial" the brand of tile?

Love your kitchen. You must have spent loads of time planning and researching. I've spent countless hours just trying to pick a backsplash, LOL.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

DreamItCanBe - Are your counters Windermere? Can you also tell me the color of your cabs and name of your backsplash tile, as well as your wall paint color? Both yours and Joan2121's kitchen are so pretty! Thank you!

• vitaminjd
    10 years ago

Joan, can you please tell me how long your drawer pulls are?

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Looooveee! Congratulations!!!

And I love how you mixed pulls with knobs...perfection!

• Divyah
    10 years ago

It's beautiful.looks very comfortable . Have fun...

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I really love your kitchen and the Canvas Paint goes so well with the Giallo Ornamental gorgeous counters! Love the style of your doors also, your gorgeous appliances, all the windows and light, your island, your hardware, and just the overall beauty of your kitchen.

• Carolyn Emmons
    6 years ago

It has been 7 years, How have the painted cabinets and granite held up?