Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Encore Crackle Tile Questions...

rubyclaire
10 years ago

This post is for those who have installed Encore or who are in the process of ordering, etc. My tile shop has strongly suggested that I order a couple of sample pieces to ensure that the color is what I am expecting from their showroom samples which may be a year or so old. Now this seems like a good suggestion but adds to the timeline by a couple of weeks. Most importantly, it has me nervous because I settled on "Silver" as it is perfect for my kitchen. Perfect. The one. But that is from the sample I got from the store that may or may not be what is being produced now. Sigh.

So, has anyone else encountered this and found the versions of the color to be distinctly different or more similar? My concern is what happens if I get the samples and they are so different as not to work? Am I back to the drawing board? Will there ever be another? Am I becoming obsessed and a little nuts? All of the above?

Any help will be appreciated - hoping Romy, Bookworm and others will provide the wisdom of those who have been there, done that. Thanks!!

Comments (13)

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I would definitely order samples! They shouldn't take that long. I have decided to go with gray crackle tile from tile daily.com and got my samples within a few days. I LOVE these tiles! Good luck!

• vpierce
    10 years ago

I have had Encore crackle tile in the Stream color in my kitchen for about 4 years. One thing to note is that, at least for my order, there was quite a bit of variation among the tiles. As in, some were quite a light green/blue, while some had some very dark green in them, especially around the edges. The bullnose tiles did not have any of the dark green in them. I recall that they are fairly expensive tile, but I'd suggest that you order extra so you can pick and choose which ones you want to use. BTW, the sample of Stream at the tile store was identical to the lighter green/blue tiles in my order.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love my Encore Silver backsplash. I think it is the favorite element in my kitchen. What does your sample look like? Also, tell me about your kitchen.
    I've attached my post about my distress when my tiles arrived & they were not what I expected. I never did get those blue tiles that were on this sample board but the end result was better than the sample board. There are probably 5 or 6 different shades of tiles in the range. If we had opened all the boxes, I never would have asked Encore to try to make the blue tiles for me. There were plenty of light grey silvery tiles but there were also darker grey tiles, rosy grey tiles & a darker version of the rosy gray tiles. In the whole mix there were 2 blue tiles, which I didn't use. Once all the tiles were vertical & grouted, they were gorgeous.
    When lcskaisgir posted her gray crackle samples, I honestly thought the gray/silver tile was the Silver Encore. I was shocked that the beigy looking one was the Silver Encore & my tile was already installed. Same thing with the samples that Peke received. But then I realized I do have some of those more rosy taupey ones in the mix. The overall look is not taupe but grey.
    Anyway, as long as you are not expecting all the tiles to be the same color, you will love it. It's what makes these tiles so special. But do tell me about your kitchen & what your backsplash vision is.
    My only advice would be to order some extra tiles. I had those 20 extra tiles & used all of them & put some of the darker rosy ones to the side. It probably didn't make a difference but it was nice to have that option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Silver Crackle

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all - this will be a small, open kitchen in the new house we are building. Primary elements are a back wall of cabinets, range, refrigerator and large, one-level island with sink. A farily large pantry provides most of the storage. Because of the open concept, it will feel like the living, dining & kitchen are all on big room. We'll see how well this really lives :). Anyway, I am using BM Revere Pewter for the walls in the entire space with BM Simply White for cabinets & trim. Granite is Milky Way in a leathered finish. The samples I currently have of the Encore Silver almost match the Revere Pewter exactly - which was not the intent but with the color variation of these tiles could be a subtle, beautiful effect. A bit of a chameleon like the Revere Pewter.

I will order the new tiles and see how they work. I am starting early because Encore will take about 2 weeks for the sample and 4-6 once I order. I also feel I need to be prepared for a Plan B. Ideas? Thanks again!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

My Cameo are the lightest in the green board. The color is completely consistent throughout. The variation is the slight color pooling. The KD and saleswoman pushed me to order extra, and I'm now left with 2 full boxes.

So, if you are ordering a light color, expect consistency.

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an additional photo of the granite with cabinet sample & Encore Silver sample I have now. (And DH's hands).

Thank you all so much for helping me with this!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy & bookworm - Your kitchens are just gorgeous and have provided much inspiration!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I think the silver will look great.

I made a few big boo-boos, than found GW, and took my time with tiles. Probably my favorite part of kitchen.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Rubyclaire, the silver will be perfect. The walls in my kitchen & attached family room are painted a light medium gray and my fireplace is Revere Pewter. The furniture in the family room are a mix of light greys & greige (Revere Pewter).
    If you have the time, go ahead & order the sample but knowing your colors & expectations, I feel confident the Silver will be beautiful in your kitchen. I expected consistent light silvery gray tiles & was thrown off with the rosy greige in the mix. Several people (Hollysprings & Greendesigns are the ones that stick in my mind) pointed out that my kitchen needed warmth. They were right. The Silver is a beautiful neutral color & you'll be able to accent with almost any color. I had decided my accent color was going to be blue & got stuck on those blue tiles.
    If I had to do it all over again, I would choose the Silver. I never even saw the other colors because of that sample board the tile shop made. I would have had one heck of a time choosing a color, so many beautiful choices. I love Bookworm's Cameo & Marthastoo Mint but I think Silver is your color.
    Edit: to be perfectly honest, I had the hardest time letting go of those blue tiles. Sometimes, I'm like a dog with a bone. It wasn't until after the backsplash was installed that I saw the light. Encore made two separate attempts (fired two small batches) to get me those blue ones. Thank goodness they wouldn't let me mix in random blues from one of the other colors. I have two boxes of extra tiles too.
    One more thing, where is Greendesigns? I don't think I've seen one of his/her posts in a long time.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 11:26

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I love that granite. Your selections look great together. When I started reading your post I was hoping romy would chime in. So glad she did. She was the perfect one to let you know that you are not nuts after going through her dilemma!

Robynstamps, I think you are using the same tile I used for my backsplash!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I am going to call my tile shop and see if there are other options to see the current run of Silver other than ordering new samples with a 2 week wait. I am confident (more so now) that unless they have significantly changed the formula - Silver will be perfect.

I really appreciate your input Romy since you have the Revere Pewter in your space. lcksaisgir - you have a gorgeous kitchen as well. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. Can't wait to get these in my kitchen :)

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: I went ahead and ordered the sample tiles from Encore and they are an almost perfect match to the older samples I had from the tile shop. So...I will go ahead and submit my full order tomorrow and can't wait to see these lovely tiles installed in my kitchen.

Glad I have the confirmation on color, but I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with the end result had I not ordered the sample tiles. Thanks to all for the great advice and support!

• rubyclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: I went ahead and ordered the sample tiles from Encore and they are an almost perfect match to the older samples I had from the tile shop. So...I will go ahead and submit my full order tomorrow and can't wait to see these lovely tiles installed in my kitchen.

Glad I have the confirmation on color, but I'm pretty sure I would have been happy with the end result had I not ordered the sample tiles. Thanks to all for the great advice and support!