Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nottina

another backsplash help question

l west
10 years ago

We purchased a house almost 2 years ago and have started to update the kitchen. The cabinets were originally a golden oak and they have been gel stained an espresso color. The existing countertop is Silestone - not exactly sure what color - which we plan on keeping. It is now time to replace the backsplash.

I have no idea how to choose or coordinate a backsplash and would love any suggestions. The photos below are of the cabinets (they don't appear as black in person) and the countertop.

I'm looking for something that will compliment the cabinets and countertops - nothing too busy and I don't care for glass tiles.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

All of these are from the glasstilestore. It's difficult to see what colors would exactly match your kitchen. Here are some ideas.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Another

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

Another...

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

What other colors are in your house/kitchen?

• l west
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Teachertile. The kitchen walls are painted SW jersey cream which is a pale creamy yellow. The rest of the house is mostly earth tones with some blue accents.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Everyone has different tastes, so my choices will reflect mine, like teacher's reflect his. You need to figure out what you like. It can help to look at your choices on a sort of a mood board, then I think you should spend some time on houzz. Search for espresso cabinets and look at the images that come up with similar counter surfaces to yours. Just browse for a while and stop when you find an image that is beautiful to you.

And it'll give you a chance to come up with a budget in $/sf. Without a budget, looking for tile is a waste of time.

Here are your materials:
    Silestone Minerva Cream

SW Jerset Cream

Espresso Cabinets

I really think honey onyx and shell tiles would look pretty with your colors. The tiles below are possibilities I would consider. Good luck!

shell tile mosaic, around $30/sf

honey onyx and Thassos marble mosaic, around $50 for a 13" x 13" sheet of tile

honey onyx and Thassos marble diamonds, around $30/sf

honey onyx hexagons, around $16 for a 10" x 11" sheet

ceramic diamonds, $44 for a 10" x 11" sheet

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I love the shell tile! I would suggest going to a tile store and bringing home several samples. Even ones you are not sure about.

• quesera1970
    10 years ago

What's your budget and what's your preference--more modern (eg glass mosaics?) or more traditional/rustic (tumbled marble and the like) or in between?
    Backsplash.com has a nice backsplash designer where you can 'try out' different looks with a variety of cabinets color/designs and counter tops. Although they do not have your countertop, they have granite which is somewhat similar (try ivory fantasy)

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash designer

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hm, if you're all set to rip out the current tiles (however, 6x6 tiles seem to be making a comeback), I'd look into a backpainted glass backsplash. In my area, it's possible to locally buy custom cut tempered glass for not a whole lot of money. They will even cut in outlets.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY glass backsplash

• quesera1970
    10 years ago

Just saw that glass tile not to your liking. What about a glazed or crackle subway tile in a cream or light brown color, warmer than your current tile? I have fallen in love with the Grazia Rixi tile, but Jeffrey Court also makes a beautiful crackle tile (as does Encore, but its too $$$ for us). Subway format would update the kitchen a bit without being too modern and certainly not too busy. Glaze/crackle would add a bit of visual interest but again, not too busy. If you like the look of natural stone, you could also look at a travertine tile. I googled espresso cabinets and travertine backsplash and saw a variety of nice things.

Here is a link that might be useful: grazia tile .

• Majra
    10 years ago

If you like the shell pattern, consider looking at Walker Zanger "Waterfall" in Woodridge Pearl.