Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

90% done pictures!!

mrs_tlc
16 years ago

I hope you all don't mind but I don't know how soon we'll get to put the backsplash up and I just can't wait any more to post some before and after pics! All we really have left to do is the backsplash (travertine with matching granite 2" sqaures througout); cabinet hardware and some decorative items.

Before: Notice the lovely peptobismol pink formica cabinets with the dropped box dome light ceiling (omg did we really think this was cool in the 80's???)

Kitchen demo! This is our wonderful Juan and his assistant who did the new ceiling and raised it up 18"; recessed lights and light bar over the island

Almost done now! I love my new wine cooler that we put in an old space that was used for phone books and junk! Be sure to compare before & after of the stove.....we spray painted it with appliance paint to save a little $$

Granite "pass-thru" counter on our patio

"Madura Gold" granite. This pic does NOT do it justice!

Comments (21)

• User
    16 years ago

Wow! Wow! I really love what you've done -

I realize the granite counter outside is new, but was the pass-thru there in the original?

Painting the stove was a great idea. What a clean, cohesive look you've created! Congratulations!

• kelleg69
    16 years ago

What a great new space. Amazing transformation!

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

You should be so proud of yourself -- it's stunning. Congratulations!

• kimkitchy
    16 years ago

WOW! You must be loving your new kitchen. It looks great! And that stove... that's amazing! Enjoy!

• dd70
    16 years ago

I think the eighties had some of the worst designs, clothing and hair included! YUCK.
    You did a fantastic job. The pics dont do justice of the granite, I know. Once you get those beautiful pulls you picked out up and tiles in it will be perfect! (post more pics when pulls are installed, i cant wait to see them)

• amcofar
    16 years ago

Wow! Even without the backplash, your kitchen looks fantastic. I love the edge detail around the sink opening. That decorative edging seems like an insignificant detail, but it enriches the look of your gorgeous granite. What an update. But although your old kitchen was dated and suffered from "Mary Kay" syndrome, it was neat, clean and kind of kitschy. Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Nice use of the hard to get at space in the corner by putting in a beverage fridge facing out! Now people don't need to come into the kitchen to get a drink. :)

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Well done. You must be so proud. It looks all put together. Can't wait to see it all complete.

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, amk, the pass thru was there. I live in FL and it is pretty typical of older FL homes. One neat thing we did was take out the window track. It was aluminum and had ugly trim pieces on the sides and had also gotten black and oxidzed so we took off the trim pieces and took it to an aluminum place to have it sand blased and poweder coated to match the window frame color which is bronze.

Here's a pic of how the outside bar is supported. They routered out the underside of the granite and put steel rods into the concrete block and then used 3" thick corbels

• ehoops
    16 years ago

Pepto is a great description!
    Your new kitchen looks great.

• clax66
    16 years ago

LOL I actually think your old ceiling looked kind of cool:) But then, I thought I looked kind of cool back in the '80s with my goth clothes and hair-sprayed-to-death scary hair:)

It's amazing how you've changed the look of your kitchen without changing the footprint. WOW! Those recessed lights, new cabinets and granite make a huge difference! And I love where you've put the bar fridge. Congratulations on a great makeover!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

pink cabs--how funny! I like your transformation much more!

• elaine427
    16 years ago

Beautiful job!

Elaine

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Very pretty.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Your new kitchen rocks!! What a transformation. May I ask what are your cabinets? They are very pretty.

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! -the first words out of my mouth when I saw the 'after' picx! What an amazing transformation!! Great job!!

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much everyone. My DH did everything except the ceiling install (he tore it out) and the granite. I've been living with those pink cabinets for so long that I still am taken back every morning when I wake up! We were on a tight budget but are very happy with the results so far. Our granite guy did all of that ogee edge at no charge because he is new in his own business and wants the word-of-mouth advertising. Some of you may remember that his guys cut the hole for the wrong sink. That is the replacement sink he gave us which is a much higher end sink.

Brutuses the cabinets came from Lowe's. We are probably going to build a new house and sell this one within the next year or so so we didn't want to go crazy on price. The Lowe's guy recommended these for our budget. They're Shanendoah Bluemont; cathedral; maple w/coffee glaze. When we decided to tear out that dropped ceiling it gave us extra room to put a nice big crown moulding on top and do some back lighting. If anyone wants a 10% off Lowe's coupon for up to $5,000 let me know and I can email a link for you to get one. We saved a bunch that way!!

I'm still thinking that I need some decor over the cabinets to "dress" it up a bit though. I only have about 10" though. So I'm open to suggestions! Stenciling? Silk ivy? Help! LOL

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Beautiful transformation!!

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Hardware and a window dressing will be enough to dress it up, IMHO. If you really feel the need to put something up top consider some nice baskets, pottery.

• glad
    16 years ago

looks great! i had madura in my short list but the granite places told me it was coming in "peachy" and i needed more gold.

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

glad - I know what they mean. We were able to go to the supplier and pick out our own slab. They had 3 lots of Madura gold and they were all so totally different. One had almost no color other than gold. We had first picked a slab from the mostly gold lot and I couldn't sleep at all that night. Called them first thing in the a.m. and went over when they opened to change.....LOL Ours has more "salmon" than peachy but also has lots of browns and some burgundy and black that give it a nice variation I think.

What was your final decision???