Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another backsplash problem. Help!

Posted by teachertile (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 18:18

Ok, so I'm not sure what to do with this area. I have an L shaped kitchen, but this cabinet is off to the side by itself in between the frig & the door to the mud room. Do I tile above the counter like the rest of the kitchen? Do I just paint it? Do I tile it all the way over to the door and down to the floor? I need advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another backsplash problem. Help!

I would tile it the same as the rest of the kitchen. There is what looks like a few inches between the cabinet and the door and it wi;; look fine painted.
You will need end tiles. If they are not available in the tile you selected, there are other ways to do this.

o

No one else??

o

I agree with ellendi.

o

IIt's a short space so I'd just leave it painted. If it were at least 36" then I might have some tile fun. But since it's a short space, I think it may cut up the space visually if you tile it.

o

I would run the counter all the way to the door trim and tile between the counter and upper cab.

o

So I should definitely tile above the counter? But stop at the engd of the cabinet? I'm still not sold on tiling tis area at all. It's not a prep space. But I don't want it to look out of place, either way.

o

Not a prep space with no messy splashing being created. I'd just paint it and be done. You avoid all the end tiles and having to figure out where to stop the tile awithout leaving awkward areas, etc. Painting is a cleaner look in this case.

o

I have a similar space. It's just painted and looks fine. Agree with those who say don't tile.

o

Our space is different but the same principle would apply. We ran the counter to the door trim. Under the counter is painted. There are a couple of bullnose tiles running across the top of the backsplash. Upside is that you get a couple of more inches of countertop.

o

I would leave it painted, more of a furniture type end storage. I think with the fridge there it would look odd having just a short tile section. What will you use this space for ? Keys, cells, purse?

o

A wood bread box will sit on this counter space. And it collects mail. :)

o

Go ahead and paint that wall green to match the rest and see how you like it. It is easier to paint now than after the counters are in. I can photoshop the tile there if you post a straight on view.

This post was edited by corgimum on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 18:20

o

I went ahead and painted the wall, well at least I primed it. It will be painted this weekend. I'll take a picture of it tonight & post. THANKS!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here