Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonantique

What do you wish you had in your walk-in pantry?

bostonantique
14 years ago

We are in the process of designing a walk-in pantry space. I have looked through many of the beautiful pantries on this site. What do you have that you couldn't live without? Or what do you wish you had? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I LOVE my rollout bins that sit on the floor and hold bulk items, like wheat grain, pinto beans, and pet food. I only wish I had room for more... ;-) Baskets for things like potatoes, oranges, onions, and garlic, and matching, consistently sized containers for things like rice, beans, cereals, and grains made organization much easier.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

I love my huge sliding glass uppers (they're really 5' x 3.5' windows) so I can see everything. In my new pantry I will duplicate this. It keeps the cats and dust out of the shelves. This will be an interesting thread since my new pantry is an open 12' x 4' space right now (and will hopefully be finished by DH within a few weeks).

• doonie
    14 years ago

rhome410 & bostonpam, if you could post pictures, it would be great! Sounds like you have really good ideas.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Doonie, there is a thread with LOTS of pantry photos in the gallery...and links to even more. I will link it below. Meanwhile, here is my pantry:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry thread in the gallery

• deegw
    14 years ago

We charge phones, Ipods, etc. on the kitchen desk. I would love to have some outlets in my walk in pantry so I could keep the cords and mess out of sight.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I put outlets in ours, but didn't really make a place for phones, etc...They'd end up in the way of the food storage. Maybe I should think about sectioning off a spot. I did plug in our rechargeable Swiffer Vac when we used it, though. Some areas don't allow outlets in walk-in pantries, so only some of us are lucky to be able to do it.

Wow, Bostonpam, 12' x 4'...Nice! I'd love to see pictures of the sliding window-doors, too.

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

This is our present pantry built in the 1910's. Our washer and dry is opposite of the built in. In the future this will turn into a guest bath.

My new pantry is under the stairs and I will have an L shape of shelves, etc. The back wall will have 16" built ins and the side will have 14" deep built ins with sliding glass windows at least 5' high for the uppers. This picture is taken from the half bath looking into the pantry. The finished space is actually 8 x 4 (when it was just studs I thought I measured 12') and starts after the bump out. I will have a shallow cabinet between the pantry and half bath (where the closer schoolhouse light fixture is located).

My DH will be building my pantry. We'll buy Scherr doors for the lowers and probably glass doors for the far wall. We will probably have someone make the sliding windows. My kitchen is cherry buy I'm thinking of going oak for the pantry - I think it's a better period choice for our house. The kitchen is in the pre-1870's addition but the last major renovation was 1910's. I picked trim and many of my materials from that time frame for the kitchen.

• jeri
    14 years ago

Rhome410  With that many Pinto Beans  you must have a good recipe for them. Do share! :-)

Keeping this On Topic  the pictures gave me some great ideas too  Thanks. :-)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Jeri...It's just that I got that big 25# bag from Costco. It's lasted quite awhile! But my kids have now decided that once a week we have to have a particular dinner using them, so we'll go through them much faster now. It's just refried beans, Mexican rice, and shredded chicken in red enchilada sauce. We eat it with shredded lettuce, salsa, and sour cream. My oldest son 'lovingly' calls it "Mexican Chicken Slop." One of those dishes that definitely tastes better than it looks. The beans aren't actually fried, just cooked til soft, then blended with salt, onion, and any, or a combo of, the following: cottage cheese, cheese, plain yogurt.

• decor8for2
    14 years ago

Here is mine. If I could change anything it would be to make it bigger.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I love my pantry - My favorites are the marble counters and large thin drawers for my platters. They are so easy to get out now and so I use them all the time.

One thing I did not put in was a sink and in retrospect it would have been a nice addition. I use the pantry also as an office, so I had to make some concessions and no sink gave me a big area for my computer. But if you are not going also use it as an office I would say to add a sink, if possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk in Marble Butler's Pantry

• bostonantique
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas! I am also going to use it as a little office space...with a laptop computer and chair in front of a window. The rest of the space (about 8x5 feet) will be pantry. I'd like to have open shelves for canned goods, and since my kitchen cabinet maker is building it I will have lower and upper cabinets but I am not sure how to arrange them and what to include. LOVE the idea for more plugs and charging station - you can never have enough of that! I will also have a small fridge under a counter for the kids to get their drinks (so they don't have to open the big fridge in the kitchen every time they want a cold drink). It is so nice to have the room to build - so I want to think about it but the deadlines are coming up quickly!

• wallycat
    14 years ago

Willowdecor, wow, your pantry is gorgeous.
    This is off topic, but can you tell me about that water purifier? Does it need a water line? How often do you change filters? Any leaks? cost? Thanks...this sounds so amazing and would keep my electric kettle off the counter.

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Wallycat,
    My husband had this in his old office. He loved it and wanted one in our house. You need a cold water line only. It is called Vertex 400F and it purifies, chills and heats the water. My kids fill their own water bottles, and make their own hot chocolate and soup. I change the filters once a year. I really love it. I do not have a drain so I had a shut off put right by the water line. It also has an automatic shut off mechanism inside for leaking. I love it because it is so small and we no longer need the water cooler. I got mine at Humboldt Industries -great people with great customer service. Here is their link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertex Water Cooler