Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My Finished Kitchen

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

... finished about 8.5 years ago.

It is now for sale, (comes with a house). I have referenced it in answering some questions, esp about wood countertops. My agent took photos and created a floorplan so I thought i'd post.

Here are the items used and my opinions of them.

Floor - hardwood, existing. Love it.

Counters - cherry on one side, granite on the other. Both were great but I never liked granite and was talked into it. Sore spot with me.

Backsplash - beadboard on one side, tile on the other, both held up well, tile looks a little dated to me ... vaguely Tuscan

Hardware - traditional glass. Appliance pulls with and without artichoke finials, cant recall who made them

Appliances - Viking electric wall oven (hated the noise of the fan), Viking six burner gas range (loved it except for ignition problem on one burner, which i stopped using), Akso - d/w, cleaned well and very quiet, cheapo plastic strip on controls wore through in a year), Subzero - like it but bottom freezer too small. I also had 2 subzero refrigerator drawers, which i loved.

Cabinets - Rutt. Loved my pull out pantries flanking the fridge. Cabinet finish still looks like new (and I have 8,9 and 11 y o). Very good quality.

Lighting - i know everyone hates ceiling fans but I like them. The small chandelier was ABC carpet and home. I have undercounter lighting and love it. I love putting a buffet out on the cherry counter with the lights dimmed a bit. The size of the recessed lights dates the reno a bit.

Faucets - nickel by Harrington Brass, bridge faucet and potfiller. Fine

Range hood - some dutch company? Abka? I cant recall.

Furniture - when it was new, there were 2 highchairs and a booster seat around my cherry Stickley table. We used it every day. It doesnt look new but it looks great.Do not fear wood! Outside of the shot is a comfy toile sofa (on the wall opposite the fridge. I love a sofa in the kitchen. I also have a wooden console style table on the interior wall. Above the sofa, three oil still lifes ( i need a photo!

Layout - I did it myself and I really liked it. Everyone wanted the fridge in the galley, but when you opened the door you blocked traffic. So I moved the fridge around to the table area. I put fridge drawers right across from the sink and range, for fresh veggies, fruits, meats, ie things that still needed to be prepped and or cooked. The closet opposite the steps was part pantry (mainly appliances and such). My one mistake - huge pull out trash next to the fridge was convenient to table and fridge but not to prep area. I thought id use undersink garbage but that was a pita.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Comments (41)

• User
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Would you look at that huge expanse of counter! Love it. What are the bars for on the wood countertop?

• rjr220
    13 years ago

I don't think anything in your kitchen looks dated at all! It's beautiful. I have no doubt that it will be a major selling factor!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My KD was totally against the long wood island. He said it would look like a bowling alley (at this angle, and staging-bare, it kinda does). But I liked it.

The brass rail running along it is for dishtowels. Or my girls' plies!

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Wow, still beautiful!!! All of your "timeless" period-appropriate choices are still...timeless!!!

You were ahead of the kitchen curve.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Your brass railing is an item that was once on my want list. Tell us about what it feels like to have it?

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

The first thing I noticed was your tile. I think it looks GREAT!

My heart hurts a little for you. It is a great kitchen.

• willtv
    13 years ago

It looks fantastic! There's nothing like a long continuous run of countertop. The curtains inside the glass upper cabs is a great idea.

Great job.

• ironcook
    13 years ago

creamy, yummy, beautiful.

your cherry counter is too pretty to be a "bowling alley".

really lovely... i'd be sad to leave it. fortunately you going to an even more amazing kitchen!

• miniscule
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

I think your kitchen is really beautiful. I would love working in that space every day. Such a warm and happy place.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

WOW - I think it looks wonderful and not dated at all. I like the tile and granite and all that counter space...

• adel97
    13 years ago

I've seen pics of your cherry counter before but never in the context of your entire kitchen. I love galley kitchens, and this is such a beautiful example. Does not look dated at all. Lucky new owners!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I loved my old home, and I loved my kitchen. But we are moving because we fell in love with a totally different house with its own mini lake on 10 acres (we weren't even looking!). When we first went under contract on our new house (almost 2 yrs ago), I came home to our old house, walked in and thought "what am I thinking?". But, whenever i walk around our new property, its just heavenly, and I know we did the right thing.

Anyway...

Sharonite - i love galley too. Its the easiest way to cook!
    Bostonpam - thanks ... if i were staying i might put marble where the granite is and change out the b/s... maybe just cause im sick of it!
    Kiffgirl - it was a warm and happy place, and you cant even see the sofa! Since we all know its where everyone hangs out, why not have a sofa? ANd with the toile you could hardly see the jell-o stains!
    Northsong - thanks!
    Iron cook - yes, i think so too ... creamy ... i call it the Haagen Dazs school of decorating
    WillTv - the curtains worked great ... the airiness of glass without the OCD arranging. As a back up, my new cabs can accommodate rods but I am planning to go naked this time!
    Sabjimata - my heart hurts for my house, I dont want it to be lonely!
    Florantha - when i did this kitchen, i don't think there was a GW! And I didnt "bookmark" my fave elements, I cut them with scissors and taped them with tape in a notebook! I just thought the rail was cool, so I cut out a photo of it. With brass being so "out" now, im not sure if others would like it. I did use it for towels and that was handy. My kids drove me crazy hanging from it, but it's still in there!
    Shanghaimom - it's not bad on the "timeless" scale, but then no one would do a kitchen like this today. The main reason is color --- the cabs and walls are little tooooo yellow. Its amazing how powerful color is to "time stamp" a look. But it'd be easy to update.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I don't think I could leave such a pretty kitchen! You did a fantastic job designing space that would stand the test of time. I hope you post pics of your next kitchen!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oooh, that is just beautiful and NOT dated at all to me! I would be perfectly happy in that kitchen! I bet it will be a huge factor in the quick sale of your home.

I am excited to see your new kitchen!

• eurekachef
    13 years ago

I think this is a great kitchen. You didn't have a lot of space to work with, but you fit a lot in. I like the idea of putting the big fridge outside and then using drawer fridges for the frequently used things. I also like the wood counter with rail.

• italyvespa
    13 years ago

Wow, I haven't had kitchen-envy in a long time. What a lovely space!! It is so unique compared to most kitchens today. It really looks like it has some history to it. And the galley area looks like it belongs on a ship. At the very least, it looks like you have maids' quarters in your house.

You won't have any problem selling your house. Someone will fall in love with your kitchen and have to have it.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

(swoon) mtnredux, I think I love you! Based on your pics here and others of yours I've seen elsewhere I am mad for you woman!

So I think of myself as pretty with-it and 'round here I am "cutting edge" in terms of our home / garden decor (and my clothing too). And you know what I just painted our newly built / installed cabs & shelves surrounded the fireplace? I painted them the color of sunshine shot through a stick of French plus gras butter. Yellow! I love you, yellow. The trim throughout our house is also yellow, albeit a much subtler strain, like buttermilk. I think it's BM Calming Cream. I think. It is rich and luscious and scrumptious. The cabs are P&L creme -- it's dreamy and makes me happy just knowing this shot of sunshine exists in my home, even if le vrai soleil is unable to do it for me.

And ... the pumpkin knobs on all the new doors are brass; our ceiling chandelier is called antique gold (or something), but baby, it's brass-ish. And it is r-i-g-h-t. Oh! And the four petite sconces we had put in have brass bases (black shades). It's pleasing to the eye, easy to the eye, soothing to the eye.

Thank you for sharing these pictures. I lOVED seeing them!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

TEASE!! Thought I was going to see the big reveal :-). Loved seeing your old gorgeous kitchen; more proof positive that you have impeccable taste and that your new kitchen is going to be killer.

Can't wait to see it all done and thanks for sharing.

Eliz

• prill
    13 years ago

What a pretty and calming space. Love the rail along the counter - great touch. The creamy yellow just draws you in. I love yellow rooms, but somehow I can never do it in my own house. I think that tile is timeless and someone will fall in love.

I totally understand not wanting to leave it all alone. Thanks for sharing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I hope you guys are representative of the market! : )

Michelle- believe me I am dying to post my new kitchen! You know how it is, the last 5% drags on forever!
    Shelayne - thank you! The house is a 1902 brick georgian colonial, so i was just trying to reflect that in my kitchen.
    Eureka - your comment about space brings up an interesting point. On the floor plan the agent shows a kitchen and a breakfast room. But there is no door or even a wall between them, and I always think of the whole thing (appx 450 sq ft) as my kitchen. Most of the KD wanted me to put my kitchen in the area now labelled breakfast room, with an island blah blah blah. BUt I like cooking in a galley, and I also liked a big area for seating and my sofa. I wonder if she should relabel it, lest people view it as a small kitchen...
    Nia - thanks! that was exactly what i was going for ... i dont remember if i had ever heard of Christopher Peacock back then, but I do like his principles in homes of my era.
    RmK - you sound like you are in the Haagen Dazs vanilla school of decorating too!
    Eliz - yes i know, but I had been meaning to do this for a while, especially for all the wooden counter -wooden floor -phobes out there.
    Prill - timeless, that's all we can hope for! Thanks!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Fantastic.

I would buy this in a heartbeat. Especially because
    these are colors I feel comfortable in. I love the soft
    warm wood counter with the bright brass towel holders.
    The tile is organic yet elegant. You know I love granite
    and the slab you have on the other counter run is
    delicious. The glass uppers on one side with all the
    lighting trickling in and the crystal chandy dancing
    more light above is breathtaking.

The beadboard backsplash gives the feel of a warm farmhouse
    but with the glass uppers and they shiny hardware it feels
    like a English manor kitchen. Really pretty. I even love
    the way you handled the openess of the wall by still
    allowing the dropped ceiling and molding around the
    edges of the entry section of the galley kitchen.

Truly a beautiful space. I am sorry I tuned in late. End
    of the quarter and the time of year edging on tax issues
    that makes everyone sit on long boring calls.
    I wish I could just hang on GW all day.
    : )
    ~boxerpups

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Boxerpops, you have surely seen (and catalogued) a LOT of kitchens, so your kind words are especially gratifying.

Funny you should mention the dropped ceiling and molding ... I wanted to remove the wall at the end of the cabinet run, to make the galley more open. Turns out it was a load bearing wall. So to do it, we had to put in a steel beam. So that little "bite" we took out of the wall at the end of the cabinet run cost 5k. Don't you hate it when you have to spend 5k on a steel beam! arggh

• jenhp
    13 years ago

mtnrdredux-I love seeing a kitchen from 8.5 years ago! And it still looks current to my eyes. Or timeless. Or maybe just good. Whatever the word is, I like it. Tell me more about the curtains in the glass cabinets. How does that work? How do you install the rods? Can you post a picture of the door from the inside side of the cabinet door? Where did you find the curtains for the inside? Or did you make them? I really like the look of it. Also love, that long expanse of cherry counter top. Just yummy! What is the finish on it? Looks really shiny like an epoxy or spar varnish.

Thanks for posting this. Gives me food for thought.

• celineike
    13 years ago

Such a beautiful Kitchen! and so not your run of the mill look! I love it!
    Can i ask what the handle is for the fridge? and the drawers please? thanks! They remind of of the RH ones I've been looking at.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jen. My cabinets were by Rutt and they were custom, I just requested the curtains based on something I had seen. Each glass door has two small rods, top and bottom, that are affixed with hardware. I had the curtains made with pockets top and bottom. I chose a sheer fabric, but softly gathered it. Gave a lot of the feel of glass uppers without the need to stage every bit of your life. If i remember i will take a photo next time I go there. The counter is coated with tung oil. We had to apply it once a quarter. Easy.

Celine, thank you! The handle was not RH, it was something custom. Hardware Designs in NJ, if that helps. They have artichoke finials on them, which was fine for the fridge, but for the fridge drawer and d/w I wanted them w/o finials, and had to pay extra! crazy

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I just love your kitchen, especially those pale yellow glazed tiles. I'm a big yellow lover and do not think the color of happy should ever be out of style. You have a winner there!

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Such a lovely kitchen. I would be incredibly envious, if it weren't for the fact that my envy quotient is totally used up on your NEW kitchen! Obviously you're a woman of great taste...

• aliris19
    13 years ago

A fantastic kitchen, topped only by ... your new one!

Mtnredux, I don't know what you do IRL, but you sure missed your calling as a KD or designer or whatever you'd call someone who did this professionally. You have an admirable eye. (IMO).

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Wow.. just beautiful! I love everything about it!

• sabelln
    13 years ago

This is a dream kitchen. I love how it is soothing with tons of character. It isn't a easy mix for me to find. This kitchen does it wonderfully!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone.

Aliris -- how nice of you! Actually I have degrees in Statistics and Finance. As far from design as you can get! But I really like doing it and I am good at copying elements and putting them altogether, I think.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say.

My fave elements of the kitchen are not visible. I am going to take a photo of them and add them in, as well as the cabinet door curtain hardware.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our house is under contract and as I was emptying out the kitchen i took a few more shots:

Below is the eat in area of the kitchen. If you can do it, put a loveseat in your kitchen! DH thought i was crazy but it held up pretty well.
    {{!gwi}}

A close up on the cabinet curtain detail{{!gwi}}

Pull out pantry - accessible from both sides, two cereal boxes wide - perfect!{{!gwi}}

These are in my breakfast room in my new house, not over the range. : ){{!gwi}}

Long view from DR{{!gwi}}

I hope the new buyers paint it a lighter color and put white marble on the counters and up the sink wall (or white subway to the ceiling on the sink wall). Fare the well, kitchen!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

forgot this view ... a rooster!!

and a barely visible "cutting edge" plasma tv, kerosene-powered as i recall

{{!gwi}}

• marthavila
    12 years ago

The kitchen you are leaving behind is lovely!! (And, of all things, that curtain rod hardware really has me licking my chops. lol) Still, the one you're now building figures to be even lovelier. How nice is that!

• kadydid
    12 years ago

If I was buying (and I will be in two years) and I walked into a house with that kitchen, I would do a bit of a happy dance right then and there. :)

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Oooh, I thought I'd missed TBR (The Big Reveal) as well. It's "just" that old, perfect kitchen ;-) .

Hey, Redux - I just looked back up in the thread and noticed I'd replied already and you'd responded. Me statistics too. It's why I can't handle a single thing having to do with numbers. But then I don't have the wash of finance on top of things. Guess that's the problem. Or maybe it's that I don't do enough work, getting sidelined ... here.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Martha, nice to "see" you. My new kitchen is soooo close to done (you know how that is!).

Thanks, Kady. Apparently the dancing got happier as soon as we lowered our price (not a new story!)

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Mtn, it's really great to "see" you too! Would you please do me a favor? Go to my member page and send me an email. If you're up to it, I'd love to connect with you offline.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sure, id love to

let me figure out how to do that!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH