Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

New sink styles (farmhouse etc) and tall people.....

Stacey Collins
12 years ago

Hi all,

I was just thinking about this and thought I'd post about it in case there are any tall people out there making kitchen renovation choices.

I love the look of farm sinks, but I'll probably never have one. In fact, for my next kitchen renovation, I will think long and hard about which sink I buy. This time, I chose a really lovely Ticor undermount sink with a typically deep bowl. My marble is about 1.5" thick, and I raised by countertop height as much as was feasible to still use stock toekick- the surface is at 36" from the floor.

But I'm 5'- 10" and the bottom of the sink is very low. I find I am stooping when I use it. Ugh.

My last house had a cheap (=shallow) overmount sink. So the bottom of the sink was quite a bit higher. I love having a deep sink, but I hate the backache. A farmhouse sink , I think, would be even lower.

Just some food for thought!

Comments (23)

• meggswife
    12 years ago

I have the same problem! I'm 5'9 and I can't stand using my farm sink. We too raised our counters, but it's still too low. *sigh* I find myself washing all my dishes in the small prep sink at the island. The farm sink isn't an issue for my children, who are shorter, but it is for me. I was contemplating changing it out, but then I realized that I would have to change the sink cabinet and the counters too. : (

• logansmum
    12 years ago

I'm 5'11" and realized at some point in the renovation that i would have a backache with a deep sink. Although I like the idea of a deep single big bowl.

So I wound up with a Franke Oceania--it's a huge single bowl sink, but it has a small ledge about 5 inches down and there is a half rack that fits on either side of the sink. I keep it in the sink most of the time and when I am hand washing dishes, I prop whatever I am washing on the ledge, so I don't have to stoop down to reach the bottom. You can also leave hand washables on the rack to dry.

It's not a farm sink, but a great solution for us tall folks I think ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Franke Oceania

• deeageaux
    12 years ago

You should pick a sink that is about 8 inches deep.

It is irrelevant whether it has an apron on it.

Mount it parallel to the countertop if you wish not to lower it.

• cindyof4kids
    12 years ago

I just redid my kitchen with 1 1/2 " thick granite and a Blanco super single sink that is 9" deep and undermounted. Honestly, I haven't found it uncomfortable at all to use and I'm almost 5'11"...I love it!!!

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

In this house I went very deep because the dimensions are small. I won't tell you how small but it is almost 10" from countertop to the bottom of the sink. I am only 5'5'' and get a backache using it.

In my new house, If I ever move into it instead of renting it out :/, I am planning a 36"-39" sink that is 7 inches deep tops, with a faucet at each end. The kitchen is small there too, but the layout can support a big combination clean up/prep sink (but not two fullsized sinks,one for each purpose.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Sink depth is going to be an issue with us too ... SO is 6'4 and he cooks a lot. I'm 5'5"

We're already planning way to raise one counter section so he can get the height he needs without raising the whole run.

• meggswife
    12 years ago

I hadn't thought about raising the bottom of the sink with a rack. Hmm... that might be a good idea.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Criticizing the ergonomic of farm sinks invites the wrath of the OTK. Turn back while you can.

This subject comes up a lot, with the more doctrinaire farm sink adherents claiming that the 3"? inch strip of countertop in front of a traditional sink causes them to writhe in agony. For me, the depth matters more.

A lot of people pick sinks by looks, but they actually have very different characteristics if you look at the specs or measure them. e.g., I personally hate the sight of my D-shaped sink but it does offer a lot of space in a small footprint.

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

Shhh. Don't tell my secret. I used an Ikea Domsjo sink for this very reason. I undermounted it and it looks like a higher priced farmhouse sink. It is a perfect size. Just deep enough to put a pot in to soak and fits all my cookie sheets and jelly roll pans and even my big cast iron wok. It's not very deep, so even undermounted it isn't a back breaker. I'm 5'8" and have boys ranging from 5'11" to 6'5". Not a problem. And unlike the more expensive fireclay sinks, it drains like a champ.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Hi Buckheadbilly, can you point to your thread about undermounting the Domsjo? That sounds great and I had forgotten about it.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

My DH was 6'5" & I'm just under 5'3".
    I was working with the idea of a few counter areas for him, but then some lower ones for me.
    He's gone and everything is My height [evil cackle].

But I have a question for you guys.
    Why don't you buy a dishwasher for your new kitchens?
    GD&R!~

Christine

• westsider40
    12 years ago

Kohler Karbon is an articulating faucet which means the stream is anywhere, almost, you want it to be.

So look at the Karbon and see if you can find a faucet that does what it does-and you like it's looks Karbon is really adjustable, but, not eye pleasing to all. Sure does solve those height issues.

• LMM170
    12 years ago

I agree with deeagaux. A shallower sink is best. There is a good discussion on sink depths on this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink depth discussion

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

scrappy, the thread wasn't about undermounting a domsjo, but how about I just post a few photos.

• lanval
    12 years ago

Our countertop height is 36 1/2", the edge of the Domsjo sink (not undermounted) adds roughly 1/2", which at a depth of 8" puts the bottom of the sink to about 29" off the floor. Perfectly comfortable for me at 5'11.

Not that I ever stand at the sink for longer than five minutes at a time anyway. Rinsing, washing hands, produce, select items not suited for the DW, cleaning up the sink, and that's it. No back ache here.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The smaller Domsjo seems well-proportioned, modest but useful, even to a farmsinkophobe like me. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with a porcelain sink, however. If it could only be easily removed without tearing up the counter, I'd have no problem, since it's cheap enough that you could buy two or three and keep them in the basement, in case a drunk guest tries to reenact the Kohler pot-throwing video. Which would not be an entirely unexpected circumstance in my house.

• eleena
    12 years ago

I know I am in minority, but when I first saw a farmhouse sink, it was really a "hate at first sight", LOL. Then I tried one at friend's house and found it very uncomfortable, so I know what you mean!

I have been looking for right single bowl SS sinks. Thanks for links, ladies!

• eleena
    12 years ago

I have searched and couldn't find any other articulating faucets. I (sort of) like the looks of Karbon but I don't like the price tag, LOL.

So, if anyone knows of a less expensive alternative, please share!

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

Eleena--Geyser makes one. It's at Overstock. Not as cool as the Karbon, though, but lots less kaching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geyser Articulating Faucet

• eleena
    12 years ago

OMG, how can this be? It is almsot 1/10 of the price of Kohler! Does it even work?

I have read the reviews on Kohler and some people are complaining it does not work well or breaks soon.

I wouldn't be too upset about something happening to it at $150 but not at $1200, LOL.

Thanks, ci_lantro! BTW, I love your screen name. :-)

• lanval
    12 years ago

Marcolo, the Domsjo lifts right out, should we ever have to replace it (a distinct possibility. Clumsy me + cast iron cookware = certain doom). The only thing connecting it to the counter itself is a bead of silicone. It's supported by the lip running along either side, which sits right on top of the counter, and by two small brackets inside the cabinet.

If I hear so much as a rumor that this sink is going to be discontinued, I will rush to Ikea and buy a spare. In the meantime, however, storage being so limited at my house...

The Kohler pot-throwing video? Never seen it, but I can guess. *shudder*

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh- I never thought about the possibility of breaking the sink. Thank you all for your comments.
    Renee