Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help design face of sink area

Posted by laughable (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 18:00

Hi all,
I'm hoping to pull off an old house vibe in our kitchen. I love the look of the inset cabs that Crownpoint makes, and am planning to do inset for the top cabinets. Its the lowers that have me hesitating on inset.

I could use a little assistance with the details of our cleanup sink area. The curtain is obviously temporary. We decided to go for drawers under the sink, and I need to decide what type. The top area where the two "eyes" are will be one full overlay panel. Would it be utter weirdness to do inlay for the next two drawers down? And how about the panel for the left hand dishwasher? I want it to look cupboard-like rather than dishwasher like. What's a good way to achieve this? DH is going to want to know what to build so I need to have a good answer ready for him very soon. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help design face of sink area

Drawers scream "MODERN kitchen". You want a vintage vibe, then keep the curtain under the two false panels (Do some decorative "vent holes" in the false panels). It doesn't get more vintage than a curtain that hides whatever you want under there. You can always do some pullouts behind the curtain, but the sink plumbing will eat up most of that room, so even that would be minimal.

o

Thank you for responding, LWO. I agree that curtains under sinks are great looking. This is one instance when function needs to trump form in the kitchen, though. Fighting with a curtain multiple times a day to use the drawers would keep * me from being pretty. :-)

Any other ideas?

o

If you don't want to do the curtain, then just do two doors. It will give you the most vintage look. Drawers under a sink are not often chosen because of the logistical issues that need solving with the gain not being a whole lot. Designing a pullout that fits on the cabinet floor often is a more successful approach to harnessing any leftover space after the plumbing needs are taken care of.

o

You can still do a curtain.

o

That is genius....

o

Whoa, that's genius!

o

Love the drawer with the skirt. I think we're going for it. : )

Don't I remember somebody having a magnetic catch drawer inside of a drawer? I think this would be a good application for one, since we have 2 drawers that I'd like to cover with one curtain per Marcolo's picture (where did you find that?!)

Thanks for your input, everyone!

o

Hope you appreciate it. ;-) This pic is from my own private collection. I was going to do this in my own kitchen, then I couldn't for various reasons. So I thought somebody might as well get some use out of it.

I don't know where it comes from. I've been hoarding it for several years.

o

Thank you for graciously sharing it! : ) I *do appreciate it. It looks like a good solution.

o

Laughable, I do hope you can make use of Marcolo's great idea/inspiration shot. It's such a good workable solution. Also made me realize that I am myself edging closer to TKO land, because I really enjoyed thinking of Marcolo with a "private collection" of saved (and even hoarded) ideas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here