Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ideagirl2_gw

Do sinks need to match?

ideagirl2
13 years ago

Would it look weird if our main sink were X material (say, stainless or porcelain white) and the prep sink, 10-12 feet away on the other side of the kitchen, were brass?

Reason I ask is we happen to have a really cool little brass sink I grabbed from a construction recycler a few years ago, and it would make a cool prep sink...

If anyone has pictures of this NOT looking weird, I would love it. :-)

But perhaps instead I need a smack upside the head to force me to acknowledge that it would look weird.

Comments (8)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I don't think it would look weird. I've seen this kind of mixing done before, but I can't remember whose kitchen. Will everything else in the kitchen match? I.E. counters, cabs, faucets, etc.?

I will caution you to make sure that the cool little sink you found is actually big enough to make a good prep sink though. How big is it?

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Our prep sink is a biscuit fireclay apron front sink, and the utility sink is stainless undermount. I think it looks fine, because they are for different purposes,and because each relates to other materials in the room: all the appliances are stainless except for the range, which is cream vitreous enamel. So neither sink material seems like an arbitrary choice. Seems as though your cool brass sink will be fine if it relates well to something else in your kitchen.
    Lynn

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bar sink is packed away in a box in storage right now. It'll be a couple of weeks or so before I get a chance to measure it, but I won't be buying a main sink before then so that should be fine. I like the Kohler Prologue sink a lot but am having trouble wrapping my mind around the price tag (just under $1000 online).

Yes, we're thinking all the counters will be the same (probably walnut), because they're continuous. And the base cabs will all be the same too, probably something honey-colored along the lines of a light or medium cherry, though uppers may be cream instead of stained. The fridge and DW are stainless, but the range is burgundy enamel with a stainless top. It has brushed brass accents (knobs and little details on the handles). So maybe it actually would work to have one brass sink and one stainless, since the stove itself has both metals on it. Or is that a stretch...

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

It's not weird at all. Lots of people have a white farm sink but stainless prep. I'll probably have a black or brown silgranite main sink and a small stainless for prep. And mine will only be about 7 feet apart (small kitchen). I'm not worried at all.

That said, if you're a person that needs everything to match, then it may bother you. That little brass sink sounds great! Go for it!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

I have a white apron-front farm sink and a copper prep sink. I have a stainless faucet for the main sink, and an ORB faucet for the prep/secondary sink.

I think it looks fine, and they are 9 feet apart--I just measured.

• ideagirl2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cool. I'm glad to hear this kind of thing looks fine.

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

Here's a photo of a (messy) new kitchen still under construction with fireclay prep sink and stainless utility sink in close proximity: doesn't look jarring to me.
    lynn

{{!gwi}}

• crescent50
    13 years ago

White shaw farmhouse sink for my main sink and a stainless undermount sink in the wet bar area-- I don't think that it looks weird at all.
    I did however, do the same faucet for both just in different sizes (stainless kohler vinetta).

Here is a construction picture that I just posted for another thread that shows both sinks: