Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a no-scrub way to clean sink grids?

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 17:57

I love my sink grid. I wasn't so sure at first, but I'm a believer, esp. since my one sink is for both prepping and cleanup.

For cleaning, I turn mine upside down and cover with hot water. I've tried Dawn, Comet/Ajax and soaking in white vinegar. It still doesn't get out all the crud in the corners. I really don't want to have to hand scrub each intersection, top and bottom, +/- 700. It will not fit in my DW.

Is there anything that will dissolve the stuff without a lot of elbow grease and without killing the grid or my stainless sink? How about OxyClean?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a no-scrub way to clean sink grids?

Can you put it in the DW?

o

Sometimes soaking in extra hot water with dishwasher GRANULES will get stuff off due to the enzymes in the dishwasher detergent granules. Leave it soak overnight and see how that works for you.

o

I have not personally tried this, but I read somewhere to use denture cleaning tablets.

o

debra, no my grid won't fit in the DW. Too bad it's not hinged.

I'll try some Finish PowerBalls since I bought the giant Costco box. I've always wanted to see them dissolve.

I'll probably skip the denture tabs. Maybe try OxyClean.

o

I was wondering this, too. And can they go in the dishwasher? Are yours brushed or chrome? Mine are chrome, so I was thinking the dishwasher might be a bad idea (I had oven racks turn in there before).

o

Don't discount denture cleaner. It ROCKS - for the right purpose. We use it to clean our wine glasses, coffee mugs and the like. It probably won't dissolve gunk, but certain stains it works like a dream and it is food safe. It's worth a shot but give it time. I usually soak stuff overnight. Cheap too. Wonder cleaner IMHO.

A bristle brush with oxyclean, soap, etc. might be your best option.

o

Ditto on the denture cleaner. I use it all the time. I drop them in the toilets and leave them until the next flush. I clean my tea infuser and all kinds of stuff with it. If you use denture cleaner the trick is to leave what ever it is as long as possible. Over night if you can.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 19:10

o

I use power balls in the DW, but for soaking the granules work great. You still might have to take a sink brush or a toothbrush to the corners, but you shouldn't have to scrub.

o

I soak mine upside down in hot water and a little clorox and use a scrubby brush to brush any resistant bits. Then I turn it over and scrub any remaining resistant bits.

o

Adding denture cleaner to my shopping list. Favorite brands or formulations?

o

Try soaking in the sink with some Durgol decalcifier. You can dilute it with water, and allow it to soak in the sink for xx minutes. You'll probably still need to scrub, but not as diligently as you would otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Durgol

o

I'm sorry that your sink grids don't fit in your dishwasher.
Most days I clean mine by scrubbing and soaking in all the ways mentioned above in previous posts.

But once a week I do run the chrome grids through the dishwasher. I've been doing this for over two years without any damage to the finish.

o

*realizes there's no way a 29" x 20" sink grid is going to fit in a 24"x24" dishwasher.
* tries anyway

* "DANG!"

It now occurs to me how useful a split sink grid would be.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 9:15

o

How many denture tablets do you dissolve? I can throw mine in the DW, but I do worry about the finish.

o

I just use the store brand denture cleaner. I started buying them years ago for my DS retainer. Since then I have found lots of uses. As I already said, let the item sit in the cleaner as long as possible to get the best results. You don't need a lot of tablets. With anything start with one or two.

o

I LOVE my huge sink.... and I LOVE my grid... but I sure wish there was an easier way to clean them as well. Not fitting in DW for me either.

I do a cursory scrub/wipe throughout the day - I have both a sponge and a bristle wand. Each works differently, so that helps. I try to use the bristles in that hole section on the feet. Once or twice a week, I flip the grid over and soak in bleach or vinegar solution. I might try the denture tabs.

I was just thinking about this the other day, wondering if I should use bolt cutters to cut the grid in half. (decided no, worried it might ruin it to do a homemade "fix")

But hey! Silgranit people... makers of large sinks!! Flag this!! Why don't they design a 2-piece grid, perhaps with a hook/coupling of some sort to keep them together in the sink, yet enable the user to separate them for the DW???

no real solutions for the OP - just commiserating. (all that being said, the pros of the big sink and using grid FAR outweigh the cleaning of said grid for me)

o

Yesterday I soaked my grid in hot water with 3 Powerballs. It was only for about 4 hours. I then scrubbed with a fingernail brush. The results weren't worth the time and effort. It's like there's a calcium deposit there, maybe even more than before the Powerball soak. The grid is chrome or a chrome look-alike and I can scrape the scale off with my fingernail but I ain't gonna do that on the entire grid. My water is untreated and best I can tell the municipal water is in the middle in terms of hardness.

What about something like Lime-Away? Is Durgol similar to that?

lawjedi, yes, large grids should either be hinged or be able to break in two.

A little comic relief: As I was rinsing everything after the soak, I didn't take into account how slippery everything had become from the Powerballs, including my wet hands. When I grabbed the pulldown sprayer, it flew out of my hands and gave me and the surrounding area a good soaking. Seriously slippery.

o

Have you tried white vinegar, Linelle?

I've gotta say, this thread is making me glad I bought a 60/40 split sink. I was starting to feel bad about not going with a single bowl, since that's the trend right now, but I really like having two sides (plus my grids will fit in the DW if I get brave enough to try) ;)

o

Errant, white vinegar has been tried.

The difficulty in cleaning the grid in no way makes me regret getting a single bowl sink. The grid definitely makes a single bowl more efficient and useful, but doesn't make or break it.

o

If there are calcium deposits, I would definitely try the denture cleaners suggested. It's probably gentler than Lime Away (I'm guessing). I use denture cleaner on my night guard (plastic and metal) and works takes the deposits off without harming the plastic/metal parts.

o

Try spraying heavily with Method All Purpose and let it sit a while. It's great at melting tough grime so it just wipes away. A comet paste, let sit also works well on tough stuff.

o

What about easy oven / oven off or another such cleaner? They are hard core cleaners that might work.

o

Could you remove the top rack and the silverware holder in your DW and put the sink grid in diagonally?

o

You might try hot water with a little ammonia added (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup to a half sinkful of water? I use this to clean out combs and hairbrushes. Let it soak for about an hour or two or three, then use a brush (old nailbrush?) to scrub at it. A few quick scrubs and its clean. (Hopefully. Throw in a comb or two at the same time. At least they'll get clean :)

This post was edited by lisapoi on Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 16:45

o

lisapoi, I've been thinking about ammonia. It's how we used to clean funky combs back in the day. I haven't used a comb in decades, but could toss in my brushes.

scpalmetto, I thought of going diagonal in the DW. Without the upper rack it would fit, but it would impede the rotating arm.

My grid is now soaking with 6 denture tabs. I found Efferdent to be cheaper than the Safeway brand. Go figure. I also bought some grapefruit-scented Method to try if the Efferdent doesn't work.

CLR anyone? I forgot to mention I've already tried Clorox.

I wonder if the stuff is just two years' worth of buildup. I do clean my grid frequently when I scrub out the sink, usually with Ajax or Comet. I do not wipe or scrub it every darn time I use the sink or else I'd never be able to leave the kitchen. :)

Update: The blue water from the Efferdent has turned almost colorless. The box said it would change color after it cleaned. I still see plenty of scale or whatever it's called so I'm calling this not a success.

o

Re: denture tablets, you may not have put in enough. I usually put in 5 tablets for a burgundy sized red wine glass. For a decanter I'll put in about 15, so I load up on them. The water should stay blue/colored and even get foaming. Still I'm not holding out hope for them in this particularly tough case. Also remember to leave it over night.

If it were me I'd put easy off oven cleaner on the rack overnight and take a scrub brush to it.

o

Vinegar and lemon juice work great on scale type problems. Soak some paper towels with it and place on the area like a compress. Maybe you need a big towel. You have to leave it on a while. Can't remember how long , a few hours or overnight? Google has the answer. I'd hit it with a toothbrush or scrubby pad after that. But it usually kind of just wipes off.

I was planning on getting a grid but this sounds not fun...and kinda gross, lol. Hated those old bath mats.

o

Do you have hard water or something? Cleaning my grid is just general cleaning, getting the gunk that accumulates throughout the activities of the sink. I haven't had to "chisel" anything off... just a thorough, but quick, scrub to remove debris and then a soak to make me feel like it's been disinfected.

I've had the grid for close to 2 years now.

o

According to my city's info, the municipal water is moderately hard (116). I'm not surprised. I suspect what I'm trying to clean off the grid are calcium deposits, not funky food residue.

Christy, I used 6 tablets in my 30" sink, with just enough water to cover the upside-down grid. The blue color all but dissipated in 3 hours. I'm willing to try it again and use more tablets. I did scrub quite a bit and I'll admit there were plenty of little bits of stuff in the bottom of the sink, but I wonder if that was more due to the abrasion of the brush than the tablets. The upper surfaces are cleaner but I have no desire to manually clean away every wire intersection.

I tried a heavy coating of Method and it didn't really do much, although the grapefruit smells great and it seems like a nice replacement for the evil 409.

I now have the grid soaking in more hot water with a hefty dose of ammonia. It's about 75 degrees here right now (sorry rest of country) so all the windows and doors are wide open.

If the ammonia doesn't work, I'll do more Efferdent overnight. If that doesn't work, I'll try CLR or Lime-A-Way, then oven cleaner. I want something that will basically just dissolve this crap. Scrubbing with no payoff sucks.

o

My former sink had a grid which was powder coated bisque color. Terrible to get spaghetti stains on! Anyhow the inside of the recessed corners got black in time. I used to squirt Clorox Gel Cleaner w/Bleach into the corners and let it sit a half hour or so. Then I used a small brush to loosen the crud in the holes and use strong force of water to finish the job.

o

I had no luck with the ammonia. I let it soak for about 30 minutes, but it was getting fume-y and I'd had enough.

o

Thanks for reporting back on all your methods! I am taking note.

o

Comet. Shines all stainless and takes out any stains. I used it in my Franke sink with the strainers. Worked better than anything else.

Jane

o

Method is great for regular tough crud, although it did seem to remove some mild scaley stuff that was forming. Nontoxic and kills 98% of germs. It works amazingly well, taking the work away.

Can't imagine what you've got going on there. Maybe the CRL is needed.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 7:51

o

I store mine above the fridge and then drop in when using.
So far, so good.
My DSIL stores hers in the sink and it is always grungy

o

I had similar build up on the sink grid at our old house. We had well water with a softener, but still had relatively hard water. When it got really bad, I gave it to my husband to clean. I asked my husband and he said he used CLR to clean it.

o

Today is the third anniversary of my big single sink and grid! Best single thing to happen to this kitchen since the big window.

My experience has been that frequent light attention keeps it from getting to the difficult-crud stage. I have a pulldown sprayer; one of the nightly put-the-kitchen-to-bed tasks is to turn the grid over, go over it with the sprayer with a strong stream of hot water and a long-handled dish brush. Takes just a minute, and I haven't had to do one of those soaking-scrubbing sessions in a long time.

o

a2gemini, you store your sink grid above the fridge when you're not using it? I'm using my sink ALL the time and the grid is never not in use. Plus back and forth, drip drip?

I really don't have "crud" on the grid, crud being nasty food-related unspeakables. It's clearly a residue from my hard water, i.e., not inherently revolting.

I'm always always spraying down the sink and grid after use. I would say I keep a clean sink. That being said, I am unlikely to do ellabee's nightly ritual of scrubbing before bedtime. I'm too busy remembering to floss. :)

Just had a look at the grid in the light of my morning. If anything, there's more residue. Maybe I just didn't notice it before and now I'm fixating on it. I will try CLR and report back.

I have found that sometimes cleaning substances make something worse. I have light gray ceramic tile in my shower. One day I spritzed some Tilex around the lower half. Not the same day, but perhaps a few days earlier I spritzed some Clean Shower or whatever it's called. A few days later I noticed a whitish residue, stuck on pretty good. Whatever it was, I had to use one of those razor scrapers to get it off. What a mess, tons of residue to clean off the shower floor. That was not hard water buildup.

o

I just turn mine over and go over it with the blue side of a scrubby Scothbrite sponge. I also go over it with the dish brush for the corners.

I don't get lime scale as we have a softener but a decalcification product recommended for a coffee pot or espresso machine would probably do the job easily.

o

My grids are new but I'm following too. The cleaner recommended for my oven racks is Carbona 2 in 1 Oven Rack & Grill Cleaner. I ordered from Amazon to have on hand when that day comes.
It was suggested before, but you might try Easy Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner.

o

Citric acid.

o

I have the liquid Barkeeper's Friend and it says it's for hard water deposits. I checked their website and you can use it on chrome. It has oxalic acid. You're not supposed to soak in it though, just scrub it on. If that takes it off, it could be a good one to maintain your grids.

Do you have a Silgranite sink? I'm cautious about using acidic cleansers in my sink and near my quartz because of fear of etching the resins.

o

Linelle - yup, above the fridge
I wash almost everything in the DW and only put in the grids as needed
I have been on the road for the past few months and DH would have made a total mess of them.
I also never store dirty dishes in the sink
Plus, I like to clean my sink frequently and much easier without the grids.

o

linelle, with the last two dw's I have had (Bosch and KA), if you remove the upper rack the upper spray arm comes out too. They came with a little gadget that goes over the opening so all the water is directed to the bottom spray arm. Check your dw manual, it may work for you.

o

debra, I have to tell you that, yes, my grid WILL fit into the DW. I took the top rack out and it fits fine on the diagonal. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out.

Almost as long as it took me to figure out how to put the rack back. But it came out so easily!!! The DW manual was not where it should have been so hunting for that took waaay too long. The diagram was no help. It took a lot of if/then/that before it went back in place. The whole while I vowed to NEVER remove the upper rack again, but now I know how it's done. :)

The grid has marginally less deposits. Next up: CLR and/or Easy-Off.

o

What is CLR?

o

CLR= Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover. Can buy it at Walmart, HD/Lowes, hardware stores, some grocery stores, etc. Great for removing hard water stains, cleaning the inside of coffee pots, etc.

o

Self-cleaning oven cycle? It's chrome, right? Maybe 800 degrees would shake things up a bit...

o

deedles, according to Google, the grid is stainless. Also I fear the rubber feet wouldn't fare well. I've never self-cleaned an oven, and think I will leave it that way.

o

I would never put it in the oven on self-clean :o

o

I think the answer is CLR, plus some elbow grease.

I didn't do a completely submerged soak. I sponged liberal amounts (1/2 CLR, 1/2 water) repeatedly over all the surfaces. When I rinsed I thought it was all gone, but as it started to dry it reappeared. :(

However...it was no longer really stuck on. I went over all the surfaces with a microfiber cloth (the kind with nap like a towel) and the deposits wiped off easily. The extreme nuisance is all the little pieces and corners. That's what really makes this an ordeal.

So, I would say my grid is looking pretty good now. I had hoped CLR would just make the deposits (I keep typing "despots") simply melt away. Perhaps if I'd soaked it at full strength that would have happened. It would have taken at least a full bottle.

Although there are little bits in the corners, I'm satisfied that this is good enough for a grid that sits in my sink. I won't let this go another two years. :) I might try the Efferdent now and then since I have a box of them.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Moving on...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here