Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairytalebaby

Question about gas range & backsplash

fairytalebaby
16 years ago

Hi there--we'll soon be choosing a 30in gas range and I like the "look" of ranges with the knobs in front and nothing at the back of the range against the backsplash.

If we insall it like that, with no ss part up against the backsplash on top of the range...will the flame and grease splatters be too close to the wall? I've seen the ranges pictured with & without that piece at the back and just wondered if it's usually there to protect the backsplash or if it's merely decorative.

I'm sure if would be helpful if I knew what that part was called...sorry! Anyone out there that knows what I'm babbling about?

Comments (19)

• edlakin
    16 years ago

it depends, of course, on what you're planning to put on the wall, but it's not merely decorative. without that 4" or 6" stainless backsplash piece (which also serves as the 'chimney' that the heat from your oven vents from) you will not only get flame and grease spatters on whatever you use for your backsplash material, but you're likely to push your pots and pans too far back and risk chipping or messing up your tile, or having the flames curl up and around the back of pots and touch the wall.

you'll also be risking damage from heat if you install an island backsplash (which is i think what you're talking about). the heat venting from the oven will exit directly onto the wall, and it'll eventually do some damage, i would think.

purely speculation, however, on my part. i have no firsthand experience with this happening.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think most come with the option of what Bluestar refers to as 'island trim' backguard, which is short, somewhat like annie1971 described, then you can install your own non-combustible backsplash with no stainless sticking up in front. I think code would prohibit you from having no backsplash, and it wouldn't be safe to have it backing up to a combustible surface...But it doesn't have to be stainless.

We have a piece of sheetmetal behind our rangetop until I do the stone backsplash. I think I'll miss how easy it cleans up in comparison! I've already cleaned off grease and spatters that won't wipe as easily off the bumpy stone and grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestar PDF with backguard options on pg 2

• annie1971
    16 years ago

There is an "island trim" back guard, which is intended to be used in an open island environment. Not at all the same trim pieces used in a back splash installation against the wall. The best thing to do probably would be to discuss. thoroughly, your installation preferences with a knowledgeable product sales person. Go online. Get specs and ask questions!

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Our trim is 6" and I really wanted it a little shorter. But we put a quilted stainless backsplash behind it so it all blends. I am happy with the look and the function is great.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Sorry if I was incorrect, but I know someone here told me they ordered the island trim backguard for their Bluestar, so they could install a stone backsplash. Always check the specs and options for the range you want.

• homey_bird
    16 years ago

Actually, this is a real problem, that the oil fumes and splatters from the cooktop actually mess up the backsplash and it is very hard to clean.

I have seen in some kitchens that usually, the backsplash directly behind the range is solid stone (same granite as the one used for counters), and the rest is tiles etc. IMO that is the best of both worlds, since is becomes easier to clean plus you can have a nice pattern elsewhere.

• weissman
    16 years ago

I have a DCS range which by default comes with the island trim - it serves to vent to oven. It also keeps the pots from banging against the backsplash. I have granite tiles for my backsplash and don't have a problem with flames or grease.

• ctlady_gw
    16 years ago

We don't have a range, just a rangetop (so no venting from an oven). It's a 48" Wolf and we "bumped it out" by 3 inches primarily so we could use our largest pans on all the burners. The bumpout allowed us to order the island trim, so we now have a strip of granite behind the rangetop, then a slate backsplash. I have been astounded at how rarely I've had to touch the backsplash -- I think maybe 3 or 4 times (in almost 2 years) I've noticed a splatter (small) and it's wiped off with a regular sponge. There is a powerful (1200) Viking hood over it, so I like to think very little grease mist is going anywhere but up and out. (Well, a lot seems to go IN the halogen light sockets, but that's another story for another day...) Whether it's the extra space behind it, the power of the hood, or just a really good sealant on the slate, I've had very little need to touch the backsplash (and we cook a LOT!)

No idea if you can do anything similar with a full range, but here's what the back looks like:

{{gwi:1395078}}

• maydl
    16 years ago

You need to check with your local building safety inspector about this. In our area, the building code is to follow the range manufacturer's installation instructions to the letter. For my Wolf range top, it will be sufficient to have island trim and a non-combustible backsplash (porcelain tile). If, however, I had chosen a Wolf range with oven, I would have had to use a stainless-steel riser at the back, because that is what the instructions say and that is what the inspector would be looking for.

• fairytalebaby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the responses--this wouldn't be a rangetop--we're looking at the regular old 30inch gas ranges with dual fuel ovens just to go against the wall.

Here is an example picture of what I love--(borrowed from caroleoh's kitchen on the FKB)
    http://finishedkitchen.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?caid=67b0de21b353c3e28409&a=67b0de21b353c3e28409&auto=0amp;idx=14&m=1&d=1204988684096

I've seen several of these freestanding gas ranges on the FKB that are up against the backsplash like that without any kind of ss "shield" at the back of it. Is there anyone reading this thread that has this? I guess I'd like to hear your experiences with flames/grease splatter against the backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: caroleoh's fkb link

• weissman
    16 years ago

As long as your backsplash is fire resistant - and tiles qualify - you don't need the SS backsplash - it's a matter of personal preference. I've seen pictures of Bluestar ranges where the 22K burner actually scorches the SS backsplash - don't know if it would do a similar thing to granite tiles.

As I said above, I have my 30" DCS range right up against the wall without a SS backsplash without any problems. Pictures on my home page or on the FKB.

• alku05
    16 years ago

I have a Bluestar rangetop with the island trim. The Bluestar specs say that if you use the island trim against a wall, you must have a noncombustable backsplash that goes down at least 6" below the top of the trim. The rangetops are exactly the same as the ranges except they have no ovens. The available backsplash piece and rules regarding it's use as the ranges do.

If you're not looking at professional grade ranges (Wolf, Bluestar, DCS etc.) choose a slide-in style range vs a freestanding range to get the same look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• berryberry
    16 years ago

So Alku - did you run tile down behind your range? or something else?

I was debating whether a sheet of stainless steel or the metal they use to make ductwork out of whould be sufficient (you will never see it anyway behind the range)

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

We have a slide in dual fuel and used the same granite in tile as the counters. Super easy clean up, no problems at all!

• twoyur
    16 years ago

ther first pick show out backsplash being installed but you can see the island trim on the Wolf AG range

the second is a bit harder to see

• sue_b
    16 years ago

I've had this JennAir 36" free standing gas stove (maybe it's a slide in--I forget) with no stainless steel guard and a marble/red limestone backsplash for 1 1/2 years. I cook alot but tend to cook on the front burners the most so I have never spattered or even cleaned the backsplash behind the range. I'm very happy with it. Pots, pans and handles just aren't hitting it hard enough to ever scratch it so I would not be worried about that.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Specs on a Lacanche (powerful gas range) require either the raised up piece of SS (which I hated) or the island trim (a 3" piece that sits flush with the countertop) which pushes your range out 3" from the wall. This is for heat issues and combustion next to the wall (both behind the backsplash and behind the ovens to allow air to move so the wall dosen't get hot). Then a non-combustible backsplash above (ours will be a tile mosaic).

• alku05
    16 years ago

Berry, our wall has cement stuff and sheet metal down 12" behind the rangetop, and then the tile goes down about 4". I don't think I'd want to rely on just sheet metal b/c that can get hot and cause damage to the wall behind it.