Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Long and Hopefully the last Layout but...

aloha2009
13 years ago

There still may be some things we still may have missed from all the pros and cons we have gotten on specific issues through GW.

I've included OUR reasoning for placing things where they are. That said, if something would bother you to have it a certain way, please let me know so we are at least aware of certain pitfalls.

Starting and going around the room. We don't use the desk in the current layout and felt a larger pantry could be better utilized - especially since we are decreasing our cabinets. We will include outlets in the pantry for charging items etc.

The refrigerator can be recessed "borrowing" from the oversized laundry area (which we had planned on redoing anyway) giving the frig a more counter depth look w/o the high price for built in frigs and maining interior frig space. The island is the intended resting spot with the side-by-side refrigerator we have (I hate side countertops resting spots for Side-by-sides personally).

The counter microwave (I know not the greatest) will be in the corner until we upgrade our stove to a combination convection/microwave/stovetop (we anticipate that will be available in 5-10 years). We don't want to make a built are for what may very well be an obsolete single type oven.

The dishwasher is to the left of the sink, where the majority of dishes will be stored due to the easy access of plates, glasses & flatware for easy breakfast & lunch preperations. The microwave in this location makes it easy for reheating items for lunch leftovers.

We will purchase a large single bowl Silgranit sink in a 36" sink cabinet. The sink will be centered below a new 6' window.

The upper cabinets will be the only new cabinets (base cabinets will be reused). With the 9' ceilings, we will be purchasing IKEA's 39" high cabinets. The baking center will be to the right of the sink, where there will be an abundance of windows. It will be by the sink and oven for easy in and out of the oven. The 9" cabinet is where I store a lot of my baking pans.

The island will measure almost 4' x 10' with a centered ceramic slide-in range. We have decided on no venting but can easily accomodate it after-the face if we change our minds. To the right of the stove we will retrofit our base 21" cabinet for a pull-out trash. Having a pull out there will accomodate cleaning out the frig, scraping things to go into the DW and to the right of the stove while cooking. The back of the island wall will house the cold air return and electrical for stove and outlets. We decided against a prep sink with the main sink being directly behind us.

Across the island there will be ample seating for 4 guests.

The kitchen aisle will be 4' cabinet to cabinet (once upon a time we thought we were squeezing it in with a 5' aisle). We will have 4 nice size prep zones prep zones total, which should be able to handle easily 7 cooks (that would only happen in my dreams to actually have that many helpers).

I included what we had to work within and this is the best we could come up with, with the feedback I've gotten - thus far.

For those that like an open floor, is this even too open for you? Any more ideas before the demolition starts???

Current house layout:

Projected kitchen layout:

Comments (4)

• Buehl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I like it. You've obviously thought through what you need and want and have been through several iterations. You also have the constraint of reusing the base cabinets. Given your constraints and the fact that you've tried many versions of a layout, I think you've come up with a very workable kitchen. (Yes! 24" b/w the back of the range & seating edge...wonderful! I like the 18" deep overhang also...I now wish I could have had that deep an overhang.)

One thought is to put the trash pullout next to the range so the trash can be open at the same time as the DW. The DW door will stick out around 27" and the trash will stickout around 19"....for a total of 46". Your aisle is only 45" (accounting for the 1.5" counter overhang), so there may be some conflict b/w the two. If the trash were moved over, there would be no conflict. I think you're retrofitting a trash pullout, correct? Before you install it, check to see if there's an overlap/conflict. If not, then you should be OK with the current location.

The only thing I don't like is not having a range hood! You are creating, essentially, a 30' x 30' room...that means odors, smoke, steam, etc. will quickly spread to the entire space and, sight unseen (at first), coat your cabinets, furniture, walls, etc. with a fine layer of grease and moisture. Then, the dust/dirt/lint will settle on that grease/moisture and begin creating a layer of what I call "gunk". (I see it my mother's kitchen...she also has no rangehood.) Don't wait too long to put one in :-D

Good luck!

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buehl, it makes me feel like we are on the right track getting your stamp of approval. You have been very instrumental in many of the changes we have made along the way. I like it that you will tell all of us here that need layout advice what might work better etc.

Thanks for pointing the trash/DW issue out because I want to get it in the right place - I've read several threads where others wish they had placed it elsewhere. Thanks for including the measurements of those items (is that pretty standard depths?). Please correct me if I'm wrong. Since the trash and DW aisle width of the bases would be 48", the countertop depth shouldn't we a worry, should it since they are under the countertops? Wouldn't it be best to keep the pull out where it is especially when the DW is open too. We could scrape dishes and place them right into the DW with only 2" for yuck to drop through (would 2" be too close in your opinion?). With the trash pull out directly under where I would be prepping might be awkward I think having to step out of the way to discard items. What do you think? Another alternative was on the right side of the sink. I don't like the idea of scrambling around a sink and someone else needing to toss trash. Plus I think loading the DW wouldn't be quite as smooth though. Is there any concerns with a trash pull out below a drawer as far as smells go? It seems kind of gross but maybe it isn't. If it can smell sometimes I may opt for the sink and just contend with the ackwardness.

I understand your concern about the venting as I realize that's very important for many. Except for occassional browning meats, we dont' fry. I recently purchased my first splatter screen (and I'm 50+ y.o.) for those browning moments after hearing about the yuck on GW. We're purposely leaving a back door for us to change our minds easily.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The measurements (DW door & trash pullout) are approximate and will probably vary. That's why I suggested before installing the trash pullout hardware that you measure with everything in place...in particular the DW & 21" cabinets with the "final" aisle widths (things often change during installation!) Only then will you know for certain if there is (or isn't) any overlap.

A 2" "gap" b/w them is probably enough.

I like the location of the trash pullout in the island...I don't recommend moving it to the perimeter. It will be far more useful & accessible in the island!

My trash pullout is beneath a drawer...but...it has a "platform" beneath the drawer and above the trash bins. You might be able to install something similar.

We haven't had any issues w/odors traveling to the drawer above. However, the drawer above the bins is our "Junk Drawer". It didn't "feel" right putting utensils, dishes, or linens in a drawer directly above the trash...some people are OK with it since, as I mentioned, odors don't seem to travel, but I wasn't comfortable doing it. Just about everyone ends up w/a Junk Drawer eventually, so I decided to "plan" for it and put it where it would be OK...and above the trash seemed to be the best place for it.

• aloha2009
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd hate having it so close my DW options may be minimized. I'll have to go out and check some DWs and see if what selection I may have WHEN (not if) my DW decides it's had enough.

I don't currently have a junk door (isn't that what a kitchen desk is for :) but have always had one before. I'm trying desperately to becoming more and more a minimalist so perhaps that will be that true test --- no junk drawer.