Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjr220

Can you help me figure out this backsplash?

rjr220
14 years ago

Earlier in the day Amysrq posted her inspiration picture: (and Amy, hope you don't mind, and hope I'm not breaching GW etiquette by linking to your photo)

It's been identified as a Sarah Richardson kitchen. I've been looking all over the web for it -- can't find it on her site.

I think it's Calacatta tiles -- maybe 4 X 12? with strips of either a metal or glass mosaic. Anybody who can help me figure it out, or know where I can find the details. I love this simple design. Do you think it's soldier stacked or laid like bricks? Do you think I have the height dimensions correct?

This is a hot backsplash, IMHO.

Comments (16)

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Carrara, probably 24" in length, with gray glass 1x1s in different shades.

• Fori
    14 years ago

I think they are diagonal!

• cawaps
    14 years ago

I zoomed in and am pretty sure that (ignoring the mosaic), the marble tiles are laid out in a running bond pattern. I think that the aspect ratio on the tile is 5:1 or maybe 4:1 , but those tiles are longer that 12 inches. I think that's a 36" range, and the tiles look to span more than half the width of the range--maybe 4x20"?

Most of the tiles seem to have strong diagonal movement that seems to alternate direction. It doesn't seem to be a perfect pattern, but it seems unlikely to me that all the tiles would have that kind of movement by accident.

I do suggest that you zoom in for a closer look (ctrl-+). The resolution on the photo is pretty good.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Are you sure the marble tiles aren't rows of single squares? That would explain the complete veining going all the way, plus that reflection of the one that isn't flat looks pretty square.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Check this out...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Here it is on the SR site....

Here is a link that might be useful: no details though.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

...from a different angle.

Just so you know, I put Sarah Richardson kitchen into a google image search and came up with these.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Carrara, slightly taller than an outlet x probably 24 with mixed gray colored glass tiles.

I would buy 24x24s and cut them because the longer the better. Notice that it doesn't have that "splotchiness" Marcolo was warning me about.

• rjr220
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out! And cawaps -- I didn't know about the control+ trick ---. I was marveling over it and my kids just rolled their eyes at me.

And Amy -- I googled Sarah Richardson marble backsplash and came up with one kitchen repeated in several sites, but not this kitchen -- thanks for finding those others. I really like this backsplash design.

I didn't know that you could get the marble in such large tiles, but since people use it as flooring, guess it comes in many sizes.

Thanks!!

• Fori
    14 years ago

Amy, that's cheating! :)

Good Googling.

• aboutime
    14 years ago

love the pendant lights in the original photo! anyone have any idea where those can be found (or similar?). Thanks!

• jrueter
    14 years ago
  • aboutime
    14 years ago

wow! thanks jrueter--i couldn't find that source sheet--

• rjr220
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jrueter -- where did you find the source sheet? I've found several photos of this on sexykitchens, but not anywhere on SR's site. Could you link to the source sheet?

Thanks, Rita

• jrueter
    14 years ago

If you look in the link Amy posted (copied here) in the upper right corner above the thumbnail of the living room with two prints is the link to the source sheet, but it doesn't have the tile listed, bummer.

Here is a link that might be useful: sarah richardson

• honeysucklevine
    14 years ago

Amy posted the link to this kitchen on Sarah Richardson's site above.

"See source sheet" is at the top of the page.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County