Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlau

update: backsplash opinions please -- all comments welcome!

karlau
16 years ago

First, I want to thank everyone who responded to my first post. Based on all of your feedback on the backsplash choice we had made, we became convinced that although what we had picked would look nice, the WOW factor that we were looking for wasn't there because the tones were just too close.

Six suburban tile stores later we were still underwhelmed with what we saw. So I ventured into downtown Chicago today to visit two tile specialty stores; one based on the fact that they carried the Falling Water slate that berryberry recommended. I left, though with the darker color because the lighter ones that looked good online did not compliment the counter color -- this reddish undertone makes it very tricky.

The good news is that I left with four samples of wonderful things. Soooooooooooo, more opinions are welcome as we make our final decision -- TONIGHT!

Thanks in advance!

Options 1 and 2:

Options 3 and 4:

Here is a link that might be useful: Original thread

Comments (129)

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

All I can say is WOW! I am so grateful to ALL of you for your honest and insightful feedback. It has been enormously helpful. Holligator, you deserve a special thanks for your mockups -- THANK YOU!

Here is the next chapter in the backsplash saga. After all of your initial feedback, we were really leaning toward the black gold Falling Water slate (#2). But something just wasn't sitting perfect with me.

nancy in mich: You captured it spot on! It was the overwhelming cool gray tones that just wasn't fitting in with the total picture.

As much as we loved the colors of the diamonds (#4), the small size of the diamonds was really looking too argyle or "circus-y". And the squarness of #3 was bothersome, too. But those colors....we really felt that the colors brought the whole kitchen together.

So on Friday morning it was time to return the samples. Back to downtown Chicago I went, 80 percent ready to order the Falling Water slate, but still not feeling like it was EXACTLY the right choice. Yes, we considered not doing a backsplash and just ordering a four inch run of the cappucino to set on top of the counters, but that wasn't really exciting us, either.

Well, here's where it gets interesting: As I'm returning the samples, I spy a custom sheet of a long brick mosiac done in white marble. As some of you might remember from my first post, we are in LOVE with the long skinny brick look. I asked, "can that be done in other colors". And sure enough, it can! So I pored over myriad stone choices and I found almost exactly the colors of the diamonds (#4) in three different limestones. I brought it home, wondering what the reaction might be. It was a EUREKA for both of us! We slept on it and as of last night, we both still feel the same way. Sooooo...here is what we think we will order:

What do you all think?

This is the tile shape:

And these are the three colors (it will be a random assortment):

Also, to answer some of your questions:

debbie 2008 and megaul: Yes #2 is Black Gold Falling Water Slate by Stone and Pewter Accents. I have a link to it earlier in this post. The glass pieces are inserts that you buy separately.

tanders: No, the earth or praire Falling Water really clashed witht the counters -- hard to believe, I know!

c9pilot: I don't know who the manufacturer of #1, but it was called Hollywood Hills mosaic. I could try and find out more from The Fine Line, if you're really interested.

• msrose
    16 years ago

hmm...I hate to say anything negative since it sounds like you are both so excited about your latest find, but I don't like it near as much as the first ones you posted. I also went back and looked at your previous post the other day and I really like the backsplash you were looking at then.

Laurie

• casey3
    16 years ago

Originally I really liked #2 but, like others, once I saw the lighter floor the colors in #3 and #4 go much better. Looks like your new choice is great b/c it's the tile arrangement of #2 but the colors of #3 and #4. Looks great!

• msrose
    16 years ago

I just realized that I may have misunderstood your post. Would you be using all three of those colors or just one?

Laurie

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msrose: we would be using all three colors.

If anyone has an opinion about "weighting" of the colors, we would love your opinions. We will be able to specify what percent of each color to use in the mix.

Karen

• msrose
    16 years ago

okay, I thought you were just talking about using one of those colors which would be kind of boring. Now that I know it's all three, I like it! In sample #3 and #4, it looks like they used a bigger percentage of the lightest color. I would definitely use the gray the least.

Laurie

• holligator
    16 years ago

I like it a lot. It does bring in the best of all your other choices. To keep it light, I would weight the lightest color the most and the darkest color the least--possibly 60%, 25%, 15%.

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

Does this help (obviously not the right blend of colors/sizes, but helpful nonetheless perhaps)? I really like your plan and think it is a great answer for your backsplash! It pulls all the colors of your kitchen together in the backsplash.

Patti

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

There you go! That's why I liked #3 the best before. I knew that the mock up didn't show the horizontal lines that you would see with the real thing. Wow, another talented mock up artist is here! I love it. I know that many like #2 before, but I really think that it would have darkened your kitchen, and taken the focus away from your beautiful cabinets. This is a winner!

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope that it is all that you imagined when it's up!

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

Way to go, Karlau, good choices. To be sure, though can you take another picture of the new tile for the backsplash from a different angle? If you were higher up so that we see some counter color and take a step or two to the right so we can see the tiles more and the stove less.. and can you add light to the area before you take the pictur? I am not asking much, am I?

I like the colors and agree that the gray has to be the least quantity and the rosy beige the most. What I am wondering is if you need a color that is closer to the rosewood color of the cabs. You know that rich brown color in #2 - I think that is what everybody loved about that choice. Add that, and I think you have got it. Keep the tan, it adds a neutral medium color. Maybe 40% rosy beige, 20% tan, 20% rich brown, and 20% gray. What does everybody think?

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Agreed on adding the rich brown except I'd only do about 10% of the brown. 45 rosy beige/25 tan/20 gray/10 brown

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is getting SO hard! Thank you bellsrus for doing the first mockup. I saw it and my heart kind of sank -- it wasn't quite what I thought. So I dusted off my photoshop and spent more than two hours (it's been a long, long time since I used it) doing these mockups. The scale on the tiles is as close to actual as I think is possible.

I originally thought that I would want a higher percentage of the lightest color. Then I switched it to a higher percent of the medium and dark colors. (Photos are in opposite order)

What do you guys think?

I really, really appreciate all of your help!

Karen

• edlakin
    16 years ago

i still prefer the color palette of #2, the slate, with the grays and blues, combined with the rusty reds. it serves as a much better contrast to the rest of your kitchen and really helps incorporate the stainless appliances with the warmer brown tones of your other elements.

i think those colors, done in that long skinny tile shape, would look great.

also, is it too late to re-think your floor tile?

(kidding!)

• glassman
    16 years ago

karlau,

Your head must be spinning right now. Although it appears that youÂve nearly made up your mind, let me share some of my overall views on backsplash design. In my opinion good designs have these features:

1. A horizontal element. It can be a short (e.g., 5") backsplash, often of the same material as the counter top or a separator that is frequently between two variations of the same material (e.g., diamonds vs. squares, squares vs. rectangles, or small squares vs. large squares.) Furthermore the dividing horizontal element(s) is low on the wall. The element below it is not repeated vertically. Repeating is done in the top portion.

2. At least some element of the backsplash harmonizes with the counter top.

3. The backsplash rarely is the place to make a major statement. That can be done with other elements such as countertop, accessories, or lighting. The wall behind the cook top can be a place to embellish the backsplash pattern. Small contrasting inserts can be attractive.

The two links from this forum below (which you will have to cut and paste) are examples of what I consider to be attractive splashes that incorporate the features above:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/gal1120432823701.html?6
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/mbwillett/remodel/Remodel042.jpg

I realize your situation is a little different because you have a stove and overhead microwave/vent., not a cook top and vent hood.

The link below is the backsplash my wife designed. It is similar to short backsplashes in that there is a painted wall component above it, although that portion is less than half of the wall in her case. Besides the obvious of allowing a color link to another or an adjacent wall, it solves two other problems: One is the issue of where to stop the backsplash at the end of a run of cabinets where the countertop and top cabinets end at different places, and also how to finish the top of the splash when you have under cabinet lighting.

Her backsplash shown includes both travertine and slate. The pencil lines of slate were cut from the bigger slate pieces used in the splash behind the cook top. Only the slate behind the cook top was grouted. The travertine was put up with only a very small gap to allow for small variations in the stone. I think grouting travertine completely changes its appearance, especially since it is so hard to keep grout out of the pores and voids of the stones.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, everyone, for your time and patience with me!

glassman; your lengthy post is appreciated. I agree with what you say.

I am still not convinced that I've found our best choice so I have decided to take a break from the search. I can't wait too long because there are some small gaps on the countertop and wall because there isn't a backsplash. The stone guys did their best for an exact fit, but there are still some small gaps that a backsplash will seal up.

I think I have just lost perspective.

You all saved me from a very expensive mistake, so again, I thank you!!!

Karen

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Karen, I definitely think you're on the right track but I'm not sure about your colors. I think what everyone liked about #2 in the first 4 you posted was how the reddish slate tied everything together with your cabs. I'd love to see you replace the gray tile in your last set with something richer and warmer. Either a chocolate or chestnut color. If you're worried about it being too dark you could up the percentage of the lighter colors in the overall splash.

But I agree, take a break for bit and try to gain back your perspective. It can be so overwhelming. Good luck!
    Robin

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Karen, hope you don't mind but I did some photoshopping of my own for you. This is sort of what I meant. The colors are a bit different for the two pics, but not much.
    {{!gwi}}

Oh, and in the picture on the right I cleaned up the reflection of the samples that was on your countertop so we could see more of the actual counter color.

• msrose
    16 years ago

rmlanza - I was going to say the same thing. I still like the touch of red in #2.

Laurie

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

I think the mock-up rmlanza did is closer, but I would add back in some gray. It ties in the appliance colors.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

I like this recent line of thinking.... would using some gray grout be enough tie in for appliances? I agree that the gray ones make the appliances look better while the read ones really make the cabinets pop and the others are needed to calm it down and tie in the granite. We are probably torturing poor Karen as I am sure the tiles to choose from is not as big as our imaginations!

glassman I like your philosophies on backsplashes (curious what you thought of my backsplash.. its ok if you don't like it - the price was right!)

• cpang74
    16 years ago

rmlanza-I like the chestnut tiles bringing in the cabinets in your mock up....can you do this but also have the grey color too? Then you would bring in the cabinets, the appliances and floor and counters with the tile! What about that idea?

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Okay, well forgive me, this was a bit rushed but maybe you can get an idea of keeping the gray in there AND adding the chestnut?...
    {{!gwi}}

HTH,
    Robin

• msrose
    16 years ago

Robin,

That's it! It definitely needed the touch of red and gray.

Laurie

• Nancy in Mich
    16 years ago

That's it!

• msrose
    16 years ago

I just came across Jodi_in_so_calif's kitchen and her backsplash is along the lines of what you're looking at.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Jodi_in_so_calif

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

I agree with msrose, I like Jodi_in_so_calif 's backsplash

{{!gwi}}

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

A close up of same backsplash (sorry it is so big, I couldn't resize it since I don't own the pic)

{{!gwi}}

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

I'm glad you are re evaluating your options, after seeing all the visuals.

I personally think you need a lighter color scheme of tiles, a flow with your counter; the horizontal lines created by the pops of color of the tiles bring forth a horizontal pattern that clashes with the rich elegance of your cabinets.
    The busy backsplashes chop up your kitchen, imo....

the color scheme of jodi's backsplash is a perfect example; in the overall picture, the bs is a subtle link between counter and cabs, it does not grab the visual attention as you look at the kitchen as a whole.

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Kar
    Congrats on the lovely kitchen! You are suffering from
    "backsplash paralysis" something many of us have experienced - Good news is, you have lots of help, options and dont need to rush your choice

After reviewing pics & reading I think glass & mitchd have hit it dead on - While the palettes chosen all "work" for various reasons - it doesn't mean what is Best suited in your application - I find the mosiacs of multi colors busy - & detracting from the other lovely elements in your kitchen - I imagine as I walk in the only thing I'm seeing is your backsplash - to me a subtle statement backsplash says more .... it provides a smooth transition from one plane to the other - accessories would be better suited in picking up the palette - chair cushions, art, porcelain plates, window treatments, planters & the like - easier on the eye & not distracting

Mary nc provides a nice example of multi color w/o being too much - just subtle hints

Have you purused the finished backsplash blog - LOTS of examples there -

good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: finished backsplash blog

• house_vixen
    16 years ago

You're running up against competing backsplash philosophies on this thread, so you definitely have to figure out if you're more of a high- or low-contrast person.

[Disclaimer: I'm the former, and my backsplash doesn't pull from any cab/floor/appliance colors -- but I made sure it enhanced the cabinet shade!]

One of the key issues here is that while your counters are a lovely neutral shade that "go" with your cabinets, the shade itself isn't one to make the wood glow. And then you have a mix of warm cabinet and cool stainless (hey, so do I -- so do many!) that to my eye needs to be factored in.

IMO, if you work on connecting the backsplash just to the counter you are losing an opportunity to really enhance your cabs and your appliances -- and like it or not, they are a big feature in at least one portion of the room.

Going back to your original choices, I'm still very fond of #2 (horizontal or vertical, with a preference for H) and to some degree #3. What #3 has going for it is that greenish shade, which really sets off your cabs. Greens and woods just work that way!

Again IMO, the last choice -- the one you can customize with colors/that you also photoshopped -- would really benefit from swapping out the dark tannish shade which is really not flattering your cabs for a light to medium green. Then you'd have the pale shade of your counters, a grey that suits your cabs and ties in your appliances, and a green that also helps your cabs glow while working with counters/appliances.

Good luck -- also agree that you can take a break from all this!

• judydel
    16 years ago

Karlau,

carters5 is presently considering this Adventurine glass tile. I think it would also look magnificent with your kitchen!{{!gwi}}

• judydel
    16 years ago

Here is another similar adventurine. I love the colors with your colors. I know it isn't brick like. But wanted you to see the colors and how it goes with your cabinets and floor.

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

I too think Jodi in So Cal's may do the trick. She has already posted the name of it on a couple of different threads. One is on the "Let me see your outlets thread" or something like that.

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, everyone!

Chapter four of our backsplash saga: We took a break for a few days and just soaked in everyone's advice and suggestions. They were all very helpful. Following that, we headed south to a Jeffrey Court dealer to check out the jodi in calif's fire and ice slate. It truly is beautiful! But unfortunately the colors did not work with our countertop.

There was a suggestion in one of the posts that the countertop doesn't bring out the beauty of our cabinet wood. I wish you could all come for a visit, because this countertop really DOES accentuate the richness of the wood. The laminate counter the builders put in was a darker color "stone look" that was similiar to some of the other stones that we were considering and we didn't think it did much for the cabinets at all. It's just that you can't see how beautiful the counter is in photographs :-(.

In any case, while at the tile shop in Romeoville, I found our final selection. I am sure that some of you will be underwhelmed. But we have come to the conclusion that we really want something calm. Our kitchen has a lot going on in a relatively small space (13.5 x 15) and we believe that we were trying to make too much of a statement with the backsplash.

It is slate. It has beautiful rose undertones and looks absolutely perfect with both the counters and the cabinets. The texture of it is wonderful; typical of split face slate; which is a nice contrast to the perfectly rectangular shape.

Soooooo, here it is in a mockup:

We will be installing it in a couple of weeks. I promise to post a final picture, because mockups can only do so much.

Thanks again for ALL of your help, with a special thanks to holligator for showing us how to do mockups, without which I am certain we would have made a mistake.

Karen

• karlau
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also wanted to thank rmlanza for the last round of mockups.

I know this takes time and I appreciate the time you all spent!

Karen

• makeitsew
    16 years ago

I love it! Can't wait to see the photos after install.

• User
    16 years ago

I do think that the one you selected is GREAT. I think you are right (and I am taking notes on all this for when I do mine...) that maybe trying to incorporate everything might work but just might be overkill. I think what you selected will enhance every aspect of your kitchen and that is really what you want. Even though we love to get compliments (at leaast I do) sometimes it is better to hear that the room is beautiful rather than the tile or the light or the whatever is beautiful because that way, you know it just works and blends together.
    Great backsplash!

• cpang74
    16 years ago

It is very calm and serene! Congrats on picking something that you are so pleased with! It will look wonderful!

• nancyjn
    16 years ago

I've been following this thread with interest, since I will be picking backsplash soon and I LOVE your choice. That is the look I am looking for. I like the fact that it doesn't "take over", but doesn't "fade" away either. It is really nice. Great Choice!

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

This looks wonderful, and will be a great addition to the kitchen. Keep us posted on pics! Good choice (and doesn't it feel great to have that decision behind you?)!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

Don't apologize. That's a great choice.

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

I love it. I have to say, this has been a great thread! It showed how you worked through a problem and got "by with a little bit of help from your friends" here at the GW.

I can't wait to see it! You've got to make sure that you add it to this one, because this as been a novel, if you will. We need the dramatic conclusion!!

• tanders
    16 years ago

Good choice!! I love it. Can't wait to see the final result!!

• sholt576
    16 years ago

I think it'll look great, and as others have said, this has been a great thread for many people.

Nice job, and don't forget to post the final results.

• rachelle_g
    16 years ago

Great choice! I think a lot of the elements discussed in this thread are there in your final choice, just in a calm way. I see it as really marrying well with the countertop, and the deeper redish-brown colors do pick up on the richness of the cabinets in a subtle way (something that I thought the Harlequin tiles, for example, were missing). And it works very well with your floor, too.

I'm looking forward to the final results!

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

Congratulations, the final choice is gorgeous and like you said, calm and understated. It will be beautiful. Don't forget to post the pics! I had fun with the mockups.

Robin

• holligator
    16 years ago

I think it's beautiful! It's timeless. You can really be confident that you'll not only like this one, you won't be sick of it any time soon. Congrats--now maybe I can make a decision sometime soon.

• tanders
    15 years ago

Just bumping this up--would love to see pictures of the completed backsplash. Were you able to have it installed yet?

• kitchenredo08
    15 years ago

So is it installed yet - I can't wait to see it. It looks like something I might consider. (I'm going to wait till everything is in before I even begin to think about backsplash)

• karlau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, thank you tanders and kitchenredo08 for being interested in how it turned out. I PROMISE to put up some pictures within a week.

This project has had a lot of ups and downs. First, it took about three weeks for the material to arrive. When it came, I was thrilled; it was exactly what I hoped for.

Then came the really fun part: installation. I was talked into the idea that we could do this ourselves. Hmmmm, not sure how to characterize that decision since this post could potentially be read by the other party to the decision ;-). Anyway, let's suffice it to say that stone tile, especially a split face is not for the novice installer.

But we got it installed with just a few snafus. Then it was time for grout. We started using the pastry bag method, but abandoned it when my hand began to cramp. Switched to a float. BIG mistake. Grout EVERYWHERE in ALL of the nooks and crannies. Three weeks later and we're still chipping out grout. But we're getting close. Close enough where I'm loving it again.

So anyway, it's been an adventure. My advice to anyone who wants to do stone; hire a professional.

Again, I PROMISE some pictures very soon. I'm too embarassed to post my kitchen right now with chisels and nano scrub and sponges everywhere.

Karen