Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
banjo3

Subscribing to threads/ topics

banjo3
16 years ago

I have looked in the instructions and the FAQ's and I can't find an answer. Kitchens is my favorite forum here so I will ask this question here.

Is there a way to subscribe to certain threads or discussions that I am interested in? I know that if I start a discussion myself that any responses to follow will be emailed to me. But what if I did not start the conversation but I did want to keep track of it. Is there a way for me to be notified of new replies.

Case in point, I have answered a question or two on here but I don't know (can't remember) the particular thread title to check back in and see how the conversation is progressing.

Help me if you can.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I think the only way is to look through, and keep checking periodically. You could also, possibly, keep track on your own of the original poster's name or a key word of the topic and do a search at the bottom of the forum page. (sometimes the search function isn't quite on top of things, but it usually works for me) One thing that helps is that after the last time you checked the thread, at least on my browser, the title stays highlighted in a different color until it gets a new response. This forum moves so fast, it can be a hunt to find the threads you were interested in. That's why all of us 'regulars' become addicted to checking in. A lot of the other forums don't have so much activity so threads stay on the front page longer. The downside of that, obviously, is that you don't get as much feedback and it can take much longer to get answers.

• dd70
    16 years ago

You could also do a search by your username if you've posted on that thread, thats what I do.

• banjo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rhome410, I don't think it is possible for me to keep checking in all the time. Some days I can but most days no. Also, this is a very fast moving forum and I am surprised to find out that they don't have an email notification system like on most other forums. (Or I haven't figured it out yet)
    A few forums that I visit still send me notifications on threads that I was monitoring months ago if there is a new response.
    Oh well, I'll keep on checking in. Who knows, I might become addicted to it too(:

• napagirl
    16 years ago

You could always create a Word document, and then "copy & paste" the name of the thread and other pertinent details you want to remember. Then do another "copy & paste" to the search feature.

Does anyone know if there is a way to save an entire thread (not just the individual post)?

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Banjo,

I have often thought that is the one thing missing from this forum. I spend ENOUGH time on here, that I certainly don't need to be spending hours more (in a week, it all adds up) searching through pages for posts that I'm interested in.

What you can do, is bookmark the post you've answered. It's sort of a pain- but far more efficient than trying to remember which posts you've answered and going on a treasure hunt for them!

• alexrander
    16 years ago

Banjo, you can use the clippings feature that is to the right of almost every entry. This will be stored in your clippings file and you can refer to them, or use them as a subject reminder. You'd then have to use search to find the topic if its older, but at least you'll know the name of the topic.

• banjo3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody.
    Napagirl, you can just save the url in your favorites(bookmark) like raehlen said on your browser. It's one way to do it but your list could be real long real quick.

Alexr, I haven't checked out the clippings feature so I didn't know what it was about yet. Thanks for the tip I'll try it.

• maydl
    16 years ago

I have an iMac. I created a Kitchen Forum Threads folder on my desktop, and I just drag and drop the link name from the Kitchen Forum list to the folder. Then, when I connect to the Internet, I go to this folder, click on the link name, and voila, there is the thread ready to read. I don't know if this would work the same way with a PC.

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

I use the clippings feature to keep track of a few threads. Works pretty well. All you have to do is click on the title and it brings you right into the thread.