Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_2008

Holigator, How did you do the mock up of ..

susan_2008
16 years ago

Karlau's backsplash. I mean, did you use certain software? I am just beginning my kitchen reno and could really use help visualizing. Thanks

Susan

Comments (8)

• holligator
    16 years ago

You'll laugh, because it was sooooo easy. I used Microsoft Word and my computer's screenshot program. I took a screenshot of the kitchen and then another of each of the tiles. I inserted the kitchen pic into a Word document and then one of the tile pics. I formatted the tile pic to go "in front of text" so I could place it on top of the kitchen pic and then copied and pasted more of the same until it filled the space. I used the drawing functions to "Arrange" the individual pieces if one needed to "Move forward" or "Move backward" until I had what I wanted. On some of them, I had to "Rotate" the tile pic to align it properly. Finally, I took another screenshot of the pic with the kitchen and tile combined and saved it as a jpg.

If I wasn't simply superimposing a square multiple times onto another pic, I would have used Photoshop. But, under the circumstances, this was easier and faster (about 90 seconds per mock-up).

I hope this makes sense.

• holligator
    16 years ago

Also, I am an extremely visual person. I am pretty good at picturing what something will look like, but I find that it really, really helps me to actually see it. I used Word's drawing function many, many times during my own remodel to see how things would work. Once you get familiar with all it can do, it can be an extremely easy and useful tool.

Here are some examples...

Trying to decide on one pendant or two over the sink:

(the faucet is a curved arrow, everything else is either a line or a "basic" shape)

I used it for planning my pantry wall, going from an inspiration pic, to a drawing showing the modifications I wanted, to the real thing:

I also used it to show how I wanted the cabinets in my island placed:

My cabinet maker appreciated the detail, and the drawings really helped me be sure I was communicating exactly what I wanted.

I used it when I was deciding on a pattern for laying my tile:

As you can see, it was very useful. I don't think I would have made it through this remodel without it!

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are a genius! I didn't know Word had a drawing program.
    I'm no computer whiz so your instructions are beyond me. But, wow, you're certainly good at that.
    Susan

• holligator
    16 years ago

You really ought to try it. It's super versatile, and it's not hard at all. None of those drawings above took more than about 5 minutes to do. It just takes a bit of getting used to. If you have MS Word, go to the "View" menu and, under "Toolbars" select "Drawing" and just play with the features. Once I discovered this feature, I started using it for everything.

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Wow Holigator, I am impressed.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

Microsoft Visio is also a wonderful program to use (if you happen to have access to it) for mocking things up. I've done all my cabinet specifications, my electrical plans, etc, using it. I've always used the program at work for creating data flow diagrams and such and was very pleased when I stumbled upon an architectural template one day. It is easy to use but extremely powerful.

• susan_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, I found the drawing program in Word. Where do I find the instructions on how to draw with it? I couldn't even make a line.

• holligator
    16 years ago

I Googled "microsoft word drawing" and got several good tutorials. I think that the first one that came up was very clear and simple to follow. Since you already have found the drawing toolbar, here are the instructions from that tutorial for drawing a line (or rectangle, or oval, or arrow):

1. Click on the button for the shape you wish to make

2. Your mouse pointer will change shape to look like a plus sign

3. Move your mouse to where you want the shape to go

4. Click and hold down your left mouse button, and drag your mouse to stretch out the shape to the size and orientation you want

5. Let go of the mouse button to drop the shape on your document

6. Note: If you want to have a perfect square or circle, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while performing the last two steps

The link below should download that tutorial for you (it's a Word doc), but if it doesn't work, just Google "Microsoft Word Drawing" and select the first link (http://www.northcanton.sparcc.org...).

Don't be afraid to experiment--have some fun with it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Download MS Word drawing tools tutorial