Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plk75

Backsplash...what do you think???

plk75
12 years ago

I posted before to get ideas for a backsplash, so now I am trying to go off of some of them to find a backsplash that is 7 years overdue. I do not want to play off of anymore peachy colors in my kitchen, I have enough of that! So please tell me your honest opinions on this tile.

Comments (38)

• springroz
    12 years ago

I like that! I think that black and metallic look pretty with the granite!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Did you see Kngwd's backsplash, today? It's a very similar idea and it looks beautiful! Here's the link :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Kngwd's backsplash thread

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks springroz...It was one of the first mosaics I picked up today, after looking for so long. The colors are in my granite perfectly, and just a touch of the peachy/copper ones, which I like.

Yes lavender lass, I saw it! I asked what her tiles were because they are similar, just don't want to add more peachy tones.

The tile place recommended putting the glass mosaic on the bottom, against the granite with the light travertine on a diagonal above it. What are your opinions on that?

• ILoveRed
    12 years ago

Mmmmm. I like. Especially, the dark ones. Looks good with your granite.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I'm not sure...it looks very nice. Can you photograph it, with the light tiles, under the colored ones? Just to see the difference? Then, I'd be able to make a more informed answer :)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

From where I am sitting, it looks like you have the same tones in the tile that are in the granite.
    I too like the set up of Kngwd's backsplash, Just the right amount of bling!

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lavendar lass...here are pics with the travertine on the bottom. Have to imagine the travertine above on the diagonal...since I dont have enough sample pieces.
    ellendi...yes it does have the same tones, which is why I like it. Never thought I would find anything for this granite.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Only people here can appreciate the challenge of the hunt.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I like the tiles you chose! Just be sure to pick a good grout color b/c they will fill the holes in the stone with the grout. As far as the pattern with the mosaic at the bottom...gosh, I just can't picture it...I'm afraid it would look like an afterthought...like you were going to do all mosaic then decided to add the tumbled stone. IMHO I feel like it would look more "intentional" if you did 1 row of straight 2x4 or 4x4 at the bottom then 2 or 3 rows of the mosaic then 4x4 diagonals above the mosaic. Here are some other options:

a. 4x4 set straight with 2x2 pieces of your mosaic as an accent set on a diagonal

b. 4x4 set diagonally with 2x2 pieces of your mosaic as an accent set straight

c. 4x4 straight set at bottom, 2 rows of your mosaic, then 4x4 on diagonal above with 2x2 mosaic accent pieces set straight. Here is the concept:

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by atlanta kitchen and bath Teri Turan

• kngwd
    12 years ago

I love your tiles!! Of course I'm partial b/c they remind me of mine!!! You saw what we did with ours, that was a last minute design my bro-in-law came up with that I really liked.

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janealexa...I love that kitchen, and now that you pointed that out about it looking like a second though, I completely agree. That is why I love everyone's input on here. It makes me look at thing from a different perspective. Thank you for taking the time to put all of the options too. I think I like the idea of a row of 4x4 tiles, 2 rows of the mosaic, then diagonal above with some 2x2 accents. Or... a row of 4x4, 3 rows of mosaic with no accents. The 3rd row of mosaic would make up for the accents.

kngwd...What a great job he did designing your backsplash last minute. It really looks great! Yours is on a lighter tone but yes, they are very similar. Just what I though when I saw your post. I will be so happy once this decision is done and I can stop agonizing over it.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I like the dark at the bottom next to the granite, heck I might like only the dark, skipping the light :)

What do you think about adding more of the dark? Maybe not the fancy mosaic totally, but maybe? It would really make you space look more contemporary. I am drawn to contrast and I like the boldness of the dark against all the mid tones in your space. It might tie in the dark appliances and other dark elements in your space.

Could you find some darkish wrapping paper and put it up on your walls to check out the high contrast with the mid tones? It doesn't have to match totally because if you squint at the colors, your eyes will remove the color in your vision and just register the gray scale more or less. It would be a cheap test and might be fun looking for wrapping paper ;)

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I like the dark too, to set off all of the warm tones...but, that would cost a fortune at 35.95 sq/ft. being that I have 60 sq/ft or more to cover. Just have to find the right combo of the light and dark that will compliment the kitchen. Hoping that the dark mosaic will help tie in the dark appliances and pulls some of the darker colors out of the granite. Ugh, why does this decision have to be so difficult LOL So afraid of making a mistake.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Put me down as one who likes the dark tile. I too was thinking that an all dark backsplash might look very dramatic. Perhaps you could find something similar to the mosaic but in a larger format or maybe a black glass subway type tile.
    If you decide to just use the mosaic accent I would look into something other than the travertine on the diaganol to use with it. I had diagonal tiles for the backsplash in my previous home and I like the look but I think with the mosaic it might be too busy.
    Don't get discouraged in your backsplash quest. I think you are close to finding the right one.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I love the dark! It looks perfect with your granite. The light tile is nice too, but I wonder if you should bring home a sample of some large dark tiles to see if you like that better.
    Renee

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I know you are probably even more confused after reading some of the other posts! Personally I like the mix of dark and light as in the pic I posted above, you can even change out your cabinet hardware to something darker to tie it all in...BUT it is YOUR kitchen :) It can't hurt to find some other samples and put them in your kitchen to test out.

I think your best bet is to go on www.houzz.com, finished kitchens blog, and/or finishedbacksplashesslideshow.blogspot.com/

Find an inspiration pic that really catches your eye and go with something you LOVE!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

BTW, just a few thoughts:
    I think subway tiles would look really nice in your kitchen!

Also, I like tumbled stone for your kitchen since you wouldn't need any trim pieces where the backsplash ends...tumbled stone has a nice finished looking edge.

Here are some other pics:
    Diagonal with accents:

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by dc metro general contractor NVS Remodeling & Design

here's a dark backsplash, not necessarily the right color for your kitchen...but if you found the right color with some variation, you could just do a straight set...the color variation would be it's own accent:

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by calgary general contractor Veranda Estate Homes & Interiors

Here's another one. I like the dark cab hardware as well. I know you have a chrome (?) faucet, but mixed finishes look nice as in this pic:

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by san diego kitchen and bath Design Moe Kitchen & Bath / Heather Moe designer

offset:

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by chicago kitchen and bath The Kitchen Studio of Glen Ellyn

pencil liner above and below accent:

[eclectic kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by dc metro kitchen and bath Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.

Here is the concept of the mosaic at the bottom even though your colors are completely different:

[contemporary kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by san francisco interior designer Amoroso Design

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I prefer the lighter tiles only (similar to janealexa's first photo), but I like a quieter look. The mosaics are lovely, but I feel they would be always demanding my attention.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I think linelle makes a good point. Accent pieces do bring your eye directly to them and that is fine if that is what you want. Consider what you want the "star" to be in your kitchen. I considered accent pieces in my kitchen, but I wanted the attention to go to the view not the accents. I have dark cabs and countertops so I chose a lighter color backsplash which tied in to my wall color. I chose a tumbled stone with some color variation, it was just enough to add some visual interest without dominating the view. I also wanted to choose something classic, stone IMO is classic and I won't kick myself in 10 years (at least I hope I won't!)

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I do love everyones opinions and suggestions! I have tried some darker styles, but I am afraid it will make the kitchen seem very dark since it is a small area, especially in the far side of the kitchen. And, all of the darker tiles that I have brought home have a wide variation in color and makes it seem too busy next to my granite. I want the granite to be the "star" but want a little pop on the backsplash as well. You can see my kitchen right when you walk into my house, so your initial field of view will be the backsplash...then as you walk into the kitchen your sight will drop to the granite. I guess it is trying to find the perfect balance of a little pizazz on the backsplash, but not too much to take away from the granite.
    janealexa...originally I wanted the stone subway tile, but was told that it would only make my kitchen seem longer, cause your eye would follow the longer tiles. I do love the look of the subway though.

• splitrock
    12 years ago

The dark tiles are, of course, fabulous and clearly go with your granite. However, such large dark tiles along the bottom of the BS will create a heavy horizontal line that will divide your kitchen in half, much the way a wide belt does on a person. The result is to shorten rather than elevate the feeling of the wall. I think that the travertine in a diamond pattern as you envisioned with either the accents others have suggested or a thiner pencil type dark accent would give an over all nicer effect.

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking of maybe doing 4x4 (or 2x4) 1 row on the bottom, then 2 rows of the mosaic ( 1 row, I don't think it would show the nice variation it has) then the diagonal above...with or without accents of the same glass mosaic like the first pic janealexa posted above. Or above the mosaic do the offset 4x4 instead of the diagonal with no accent. Can someone just come and decide for me :) This is way to hard and I keep changing my mind.

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ha, showed the ideas to my DH, and he likes the idea of the "offset" picture that was posted (4th one down in last set of pics), but the dark mosaic would replace the pencil liner, with no accent above it. Just the brick set 4x4. He always wanted the subway tile, which is why I think he likes that one. Can this be anymore confusing?!

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I know I am so indecisive...but do you think it would look better to have subway tile and mosaic combo, or the mosaic and 4x4 brick look above? Not sure if I love the diagonal. Please give some advice...ahhh!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

Hmmm, you seem to not want subway in your kitchen but your husband likes subway... the 4x4 offset is a nice compromise...so that is my vote!

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually wanted subway tile from the beginning, but then the guy at the tile place said that it would make my kitchen look even longer and narrower because of their shape :( That is what made me think it was not a good idea. But, now I don't know. If I am going to offset the 4x4, like subway tile...should I just go with the subway, or visually is the square 4x4 going to make it seem bigger.

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

plk75 - I feel for you, I've been having a tough time picking a backsplash as well. I love your mosaic with your granite, for some reason I don't like the travertine stone. There is a lot of movement in your stone, texture in your mosaic, and then texture again in your travertine. I would think that a smooth subway would go nicely with your mosaic and your granite, IMHO.

I have finally decided on my backsplash and it is similar in style to yours. I will have a matte solid tile on the bottom, middle and top rows and 2 rows of mosaics in between. My matte tile is in a 6 x 24 size, so it will be a very liear design with minimal grout lines.

Pics below of my tiles and kitchen.

• User
    12 years ago

You don't want "peachy" but then you go and pick a rustic stone tile that has peach undertones???

Skip the tumbled travertine entirely.

A nice dark brown glass tile would be perfect.

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To be honest, I never even considered glass tile. Didn't think I liked it because it is very shiny. That is why I was looking at the travertine, because it was classic and matte. I think with all of the suggestions that I have been getting that I better check them out. I like that you all have been so honest. Opening my eyes to different avenues. Hollysprings, you are right about the peachy undertone...it is not as peachy as the pictures show, they are more cream, just some have it. I looked at so many, and a lot had a grey undertone. It did not look good next to the granite. The color of the travertine matches the crams in the granite. That is why I thought it would be better. Mom2sethc...I love your tiles. What kind of matte tile are they?

• janealexa
    12 years ago

if you wanted subway from the beginning and you really like it then you should go for it. There were many times while building my house that someone didn't like something I planned to do...the tile store, the painter, etc. I'm glad I didn't listen because I love the way everything turned out.

Don't let other people's opinions derail your plans! Although it is extremely helpful to hear others' opinions, remember this is your house not theirs. They may have different taste, style, etc. Stick to your gut if you had something in mind, or go back to your inspiration pictures to remind you of your vision

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks janealexa...it is very true. I am so glad you went with what you loved and that you are happy with how it all came together. Congrats!!! I guess I have a hard time, because this is not my "dream kitchen". If I had a big beautiful kitchen, there would be so many things I would do different. Feel like I am trying to make do. I am going back to look for some inspiration. I thought this would be so easy...pick a backsplash and have it put up. Simple! Boy, was I wrong.

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is a better depiction of the tile...not as peachy as the other pics show. This is more accurate. Done without the flash.

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

plk75 - my matte tile is a porcelain tile by Stonepeak. It is called Parkland Acadia. It looks like black suede, I love it. The mosaic is glass.

I agree with Hollysprings, that a nice brown'ish glass tile would look great with your mosaic.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I like the stone, I originally thought it looked peachy as I mentioned in your other thread. But in your latest pic it does look more cream. The ogee edge on the granite would look nice with the stone. If you are considering glass I would uses it as an accent and not the whole splash. I have a stone glass mosaic splash in my master bath, the stone and glass mixture makes it look a little less contemporary and breaks up the shine.

As far as subway, I like subway tiles all by themselves. But if you are going to do an accent I prefer the 4x4.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

plk75 thanks, it feels great to be done with all of the decisions! You have a beautiful kitchen! Don't just make do, do something you love!

• springroz
    12 years ago

I wish I had a good picture of my previous backsplash... I used the 4 lines of mosaic, then a copper liner, then diagonal tlis with the 4 little peices of mosaic inset like that first picture..... Years ago.....ahead of my time , I guess, LOL!!

Nancy

• plk75
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I would do just a strip of 2-3 of the mosaic, but no other accent above in the subway or 4x4. Just like the first pic you posted janealexa, but without any of the accent squares above. Just plain above mosaic line.

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I think that will look great!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert